Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 12:17 PM   #16  

Good morning gals. I made it in here again. Wow, must be setting a record here. Things are busy as usual, but some things never change. Life is wonderful without mom here. I suppose she'll stay at my brothers for awhile. My grandpa may find out about his last biopsy and then which type of chemo he gets, either outpatient at the doctors office or inpatient in the hospital. Either way, my mom will either stay at my brothers to go to her neurologist, or at my grandmas so she's not by herself.

I also just realized that for work, my ACLS certification (running code blues, like on ER) is up this month, so now I have less than 2 weeks to study, and there are alot of changes this year. Oh well. Just one more thing to add to my list of stressors.

I am getting back on track with my food. I've done pretty well the last few days, actually. I do a 1400 diabetic diet plan. Seems to work out fairly well. Now I just need to get back into regular exercise.

Marlana- Oh Mama, a surprise hubby at home. Just give it time to sink in and it'll work itself out. You do have a year to prepare. Have you talked to hubby since you found out? I am definately getting my act together with this diet thing. I'd like to lose 10 lbs by my graduation ceremony, which is May 18th. It's definately an attainable goal.

Tobey- Good to hear from you again. We all missed you. Welcome back.

Jojo- How is your hubby doing? I forget, what were his symptoms before? Lung problems? Another thing I always think of is his heart. Some people only get shortness of breath. We had one patient a while back who had a huge heart attack and his only symptom was ear aches. Scary. I was actually thinking about a diamond cluster ring for myself too. I've looked at a few stores, but nothing excites me. I have to wait until I'm in the mood I guess.

Skeeter- Sounds like you had fun with your friends. Actually, anywhere in Florida with hurricanes scares me. But we've got the same thing with tornados, though, I've never seen one, yet. I'd like to. But off in the distance! Your daisies sound pretty. I can't wait to plant in my yard, but I have to wait about a month yet. UGH.

Carol- Sounds like you have been very busy with the school activities. Seems like everyone is having hubby troubles. Maybe a good thing I don't have one! I get tired of watching my food all the time too, but I'm also tired of my clothes not fitting like I wish they would. Just a lesser of 2 evils I guess.

I guess that's about it for today. I have to go check out a couple of online assignments for school. I don't have to work until 7 tonight, so I'm spending the day getting ahead. The weather is supposed to be better this weekend and I won't want to be inside doing it then.

Happy and healthy.

Jen
Old 04-09-2002, 06:47 PM   #17  
Senior Chick

Talking

Hey Everyone

I was going to take today off and just be lazy but that didn't work out. My dh and I cleaned the front of the house and the front porch this morning. Everything gets really dirty here and turns green from all the pollen. It's a real battle to keep things looking clean. We uses soap and long-handled brushes and scrubbed from the ceiling down. We rinsed with the hoses and now it all looks new again.

Marlana~I guess that I am just a very clean person. I went with dh yesterday to the church to just be there while he worked on a fluorescent light in the ceiling. I took a book and a diet Pepsi and was going to read and play gopher for him. He had to run back to the house for a tool and I asked him to bring back my broom and vacuum. I ended up sweeping the whole church and vacuuming all the carpeted areas. I can't seem to sit still when I see something dirty. I can't believe your fish have started dying again. That is terrible, especially now with you feeling depressed. I'm so sorry. Do you want one of my fish? Our friends will be going back to New York in a week or two and I will be getting her betta until she returns next winter. Sugar is solid red and a very pretty fish. That will make 6 tanks or bowls for me to clean every week. It's beginning to sound like work.

JoJo~I'm sorry to hear that your husband is back in the hospital. I guess his problem is more than just low blood sugar after all. Maybe this time he can find out exactly what the problem is so that he can deal with it. I hope that he is okay and can go home soon. He comes before that job, and like you said, the work will be there when you go back. I am back to eating right again and hope to do better this time. My friends house by the beach is more than 30 years old so it has withstood some storms, although no hurricanes have hit that coast in a very long time. If a very large storm heads her way, there will be a mandatory evacuation. I have invited her here if that happens. It is a good thing that your yard was dug up before spring. Now it has the chance to fill over with grass this spring and summer.

Tobey~Welcome back. It was good to see you back in here again. I hope everything is okay for you and you will continue to come in here. We missed you.

Jen~I sure hope everything is okay for your grandpa. It sounds like you are going to have a break from your mother for a while. I sure admire nurses like you and the ones I see on ER. That is my favorite show. I always tape it in case the phone rings or something happens to make me miss even a minute of it. It sure makes me cry a lot though. I have a sister-in-law that is a pediatric critical care nurse. I can't imagine working with very sick or very injured babies. But that is why there are people like her and you. I don't mean to brag but everything here is green and blooming. I will attach a picture that I took just now with my little digital camera of my amaryllis. Just remember though that we almost roast during the summer here.

Y'all have a good evening. I have to go put all my couch and chair cushions back out on the front porch now that everything has dried. I think that I will watch TV out there this evening.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:05 AM   #18  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Good Morning~~Decided to come in early this AM. My email is still down, now I can't receive or send. I feel kind a lost without it. My food was fine yesterday, even felt a little empty this morning when I got up. Been trying to come up with something positive about hubby's retirement, I can tell you I haven't come up with much, but a couple of things is I won't make breakfast or lunch anymore...he'll be on his own. I won't have to go to bed because I have to get up early, I'll get up when I want to even if it's noon. I can't see that but it would be a my choice.

Jen~~ Life is great without my hubby here during the day time, so I've decided to make the most of it for the next year. He's coming home at noon today, he's going to the doctor AGAIN....I hope this trip don't turn into another 1000.00 going out of the bank account. Glad to hear your getting back on track with your food plan and exercise. I bet the diet your own is about like the one I'm on. I thank its pretty much the heart smart, diabetic and some more diets, but they all consists of the same portions of food. I don't count cal. It has 5 proteins, 2 dairy, 2 fruits, 3 vegs., 3 fats, 5 breads and it has 21 selections and 700 cal. to be used how ever you want to use them in one week. It's the old WW diet.

Skeeter~~You got to come and visit me, you have to much energy for just keeping one house clean and Lord knows mine is in need of about 2 weeks of cleaning. I'm going to love the bedroom when I get it finished. It is really a job trying to paint it with the furniture in it, that furniture is the stuff I made and it's made to match a very heavy water bed, remember those. It's too heavy for me to move very easy. I get a little done everyday. Girl Betta's are taking over your life. Are you running out of counter space for them. You can't clean 6 fish bowls in 30 min either. I thank those all red ones are so pretty. Is this the one you bought for her? I'm going to town and could get myself another fish or two, but I'm going to hold off to see if any more dies. I really thank it is just the stress that the males puts on the females because I have too many males. They are just like men, all they thank about is eating and sex. Your flowers are so pretty, makes me want to get some out. I'll have to wait another week or so, it could frost yet. Those little cameras take pretty good pictures outside, but not inside. Or at least thats the way mine works.

Time to leave I guess. Have a good one everyone.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:31 PM   #19  

Good morning gals. I finally crawled out of bed. I guess the time change last weekend has finally caught up with me. I even skipped school today. Well, not really. It's a "conference day" and it counts as extra credit. I don't think the time spent for the 15 points is worth it. Plus, I don't think the 15 points will amount to a hill of beans in the end. So I'm taking a personal day. I guess this is what it will feel like when I'm done NEXT MONTH. But then I'm going to be so busy getting my yard caught up. I have so many great ideas in my head! I suppose I'm lucky to have something in there. I have one area in the back along my garage that is pretty shady. I want to mulch it, and plant maybe ferns or hostas, and bleeding hearts. I just love those. I've got one in the front that gets huge, like 8 feet across and 4 feet high, I'm not kidding. I also love lilacs and I'm trying to figure out where I can put another one.

Marlana- I understand how much you enjoy being alone. Is hubby having problems that he keeps going to the doctor? I think your diet is a little more restrictive than mine. Maybe I should cut back. I haven't lost an ounce this week. But then again, I think I'm starting to hold my monthly water. UGH, does it ever stop? When is menopause?

Skeeter- After you're done at Marlanas house, swing by here and give me a hand! Things are strange with my grandpa. I think he needs to switch docs. First, he scolds him for just showing up at the office when he doesn't feel good. He never returns their calls to answer their questions. In fact, he says "I don't call my patients". But he does talk to grandpas niece in Wisconsin and tells her everything. Umm. breach of confidentiality. Then, he tells grandpa, I'll see you in 2 weeks and we'll do something. There are 3 things we could do. Well, why not do them now? I'm going to call around today to see if the other oncologists have priviledges at the hospital they like. Your amaryllis is beautiful. It gets pretty warm here in the summer, around 90-100 and always so humid. But I still can't wait.

I guess that is about it. I should get my butt moving. I have a few errands I want to run, and it's going to be near 70 today, so I want to enjoy it a little!

Happy and healthy,

Jen
Old 04-10-2002, 02:01 PM   #20  

Hello all

The sun is shining and it feels like spring (finally)!! We have been paying for having such a mild winter with a real lousy spring. But it looks like things are starting to turn around. So I am planning to run home from work today and I am tempted to do it again on Friday when it is supposed to be 64F. I guess I’ll wait and judge how I feel. I was in a race on Saturday, which was funny enough called the Spring Run Off. It was really chilly and had lightly snowed the day before (not enough to accumulate though). I can’t wait for summer. I’m also hoping for warmer weather since I joined a rowing club (nope – I don’t row but couldn’t pass by the opportunity to learn). We will start practicing in about 2 weeks and it will be for an hour and a-half in the evening. So being out on the lake in the evening can get quite cool.

Skeeter: How are the boys doing? They must have loved the trip to the coast! Good news, I finally have a cheque with your name on it! It will be out in the mail by the end of this week. Thanks for being so patient with me! It will be a while longer before my mom can use her stick. She lives in north-western Ontario and they keep getting dumped on. Having snow in April is no fun! However, it sounds like you have been having fun with friends. I guess maybe too much fun. I know how you feel. I am such a social eater. For some reason when I am around other people I just lose control. I’ll eat just about anything and in LARGE quantities. Not to mention overdoing it with drinks. What a combination . Wow you should plan any more lazy days – you’ll wear yourself out!

Marlana: I went back and looked at your plan. I think it is great. It is similar to one that used to use. Having those “personal points” are very important. I used to savour those and made sure I had something really special. Normally it was some really expensive wine or some really decadent chocolate. Balance it very important. You talked about staying focused which reminded me of an article I read. I think I’ll post it here:

Creating Life Preservers to Lose Weight

Use Visualization as a motivator to get through the rough times by creating a “life preserver” that will enable you to conquer cravings and eliminate temptation.

New York, NY-- The American Dietetic Association believes that “It’s one thing to talk about changing dietary behavior, quite another to deal with it on a personal level…” Changing any type of behavior requires a willingness to transform, but there will always be cravings and temptations to deter your efforts. So, when it's fast food time and French Fries are screaming your name louder than your kids—use visualization as a motivator—create a Life Preserver.
A Life Preserver is a positive, detailed visualization of your future self—a specific moment in time after you’ve achieved your weight-loss goal. When creating a Life Preserver use as much detail as possible—you should be able to smell, see and hear this future moment. Then, during those “critical times,” when you’re losing sight of your goals and about to sabotage your weight loss program— you can use your Life Preserver —it’s a strong dose of empowerment.
How do you create a Life Preserver? Daydreaming with a purpose helps to create a Life Preserver--clearing a path to realize the future rewards of your hard work. “A Life Preserver is so essential because it infuses you with a sense of self-confidence, and makes you feel that your goals are both real and reachable. It gives you energy and desire, and helps to maintain motivation during difficult times,” says Charles S. Platkin, author of Breaking the Pattern (Red Mill Press, $24.95). In his book, Platkin explains how to create a personal Life Preserver.

1) Sit in a comfortable, quite place with your eyes close and concentrate on imagining what you would like to do, accomplish or achieve—Think of how your life will be once you’ve reached your goal—if it’s losing weight, think of a slimmer, newer you!
2) Use as many senses as possible to develop an image of your “future self”—do this until it’s almost as clear in your mind as a memory.
3) Use upcoming events or vacations as a way to set the stage for your visualization. A clear mental image of yourself, once you’ve lost weight; meeting an ex-husband at the mall after you've lost 20 pounds; or going to your doctor's office for your spring check up and finding out your blood pressure and cholesterol are lower. These are two perfect examples of Life Preservers for weight loss success. “When you can ‘see’ an appealing image of an attainable future, it informs and inspires your actions, and helps to coordinate your plan and goals,” says Platkin. Start out by thinking about the event and then start to fill in ALL the details.
4) Write down all of your strongest images—this way you can read it and revise it when necessary. Remember to write down, as many details as possible—don’t leave anything out.

Sample Life Preserver

— When it's fast food time and french fries are screaming your name louder than your kids are, a craving overwhelms you, or you just feel tempted, use visualization as a motivator. Develop a clear mental image of yourself, as a slimmer, healthier you~meeting an ex-husband at the mall after you've lost 20 pounds; or going to your doctor's office for your spring check up and finding out your blood pressure and cholesterol are perfect. Think of every detail of these future moments and reflect on these "Life Preservers" to help you get through the tough times or when you feel like you're losing sight of your goals.
Nutricise client Samantha lost 35 pounds on the Nutricise Program, and has kept it off for 6 months now. But her journey was not without its rough spots -- when she began the program she was recuperating from a messy divorce, and had to face down her emotional eating patterns to overcome the urge to turn to chocolate and cookies to help her through this stressful time. To keep herself on course, Samantha often summoned the help of one of her Life Preservers when she was tempted to fall off her plan.
Samantha’s ex-husband had ridiculed her appearance for years before the end of their marriage, and had been particularly rude to her during the divorce proceedings. She describes one of her Life Preservers to us:
I’m exhausted -- I’ve just come from an art opening. I’m wearing a turquoise sheath dress, it’s a size 6 -- and I have a matching beaded handbag. It’s a summer night, and I pull up to the restaurant, pay the driver, and step out of the cab -- that’s when he sees me. He gasps, almost in shock at how much weight I’d lost -- and how good I looked…
Samantha created three of these very detailed visualizations, and was asked to use them as motivational tools anytime she found herself in a “food crisis.” Any time she was tempted to go off of her weight-loss program she would think about one of her Life Preservers, and use it as a motivator to fend off her craving. (It worked.)

What a bombshell your hubby left off about his retirement. It is hard enough to adjust a retirement without pulling that. Do you know what triggered his decision? I can’t believe that he didn’t discuss this with you first. That is a very big decision, especially considering the circumstances. I think you have every right to be upset. Just try not to let it consume you (I know, easier said than done). You are a good –make that GREAT – person! I would feel lost without e-mail too!!

Jen: Glad to hear that as long as you manage your BP and your rate is okay, that you’ll be okay. So your fit enough to run a marathon – going to take up that challenge? Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I’m also sorry to hear about your friend’s dad. That is so sad. How has the family been? I’m sure that you have been a big comfort to her. How is your mom fairing? $85 for “new” TV is a pretty darn good deal! How did your 3 mile HeartWalk go? I’m in a 10K (6.2mi) fun run for MS on April 21st. This is the second year I have gone in it – it is a lot of fun! I also want to go in a race for United Way next month. It is called the Rat Race. You run in the business district of Toronto and have to carry a briefcase. You are also to encourage to wear a costume. Guys will wear something like shorts and a dress shirt and tie. I was thinking about running it a skirt, blouse, and pearls. It is on a Thursday evening with a party afterwards. Only 2 weeks to study for your certification? Good luck! You’re a smart cookie – I’m sure you’ll do fine. Do you have any info on that diabetic plan that you can share? How much longer until school’s done? ENJOY YOUR PERSONAL DAY!!

Sally: Your Easter sounded nice (despite the rain). Wow what girls you have to choose to redo their room over the bunny! Great for mom too! I was able to have a pretty lean Easter as well – I had my wisdom teeth out on the Thursday before and wasn’t eating solids by that point. So Easter dinner for me was a can of Boost and some pureed squash. Although I have to admit that I did have some ice cream and some custard for dessert. Have you started your spring walking plan?

Jojo: Is there ever a quiet period at work? It always sounds so crazy. Who knew that sewers could cost so much!! Hopefully your nightmares are close to over. Imagine doing laundry in the comfort of your own home. Your ring sounds so beautiful. Good for you! Oh my god – what a scare with your hubby!!! How is he doing?

Carol: You are such an amazing teacher – so involved with your school and students. I bet you “Annie” will be a hit. Sorry to hear that hubby is being difficult. It is so good that you have so many interests of you own that you pursue. I’m just learning about important it is to have your own niche in life. While it is too bad that you did gain back 10 of the 15, look on the bright side. That is works out to a 5# loss. I’m sure you’ll get rolling again soon and be right back on track. What’s wrong with your foot?

Okay I better end it here before I write an entire novel! I won’t even attach a picture today!

Tobey
Old 04-11-2002, 07:57 AM   #21  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Good Morning~~Boy I had a bad day yesterday. I wanted to eat all day, but hung on by my toenails. I sure hope today is a little easier. Well I have good news and bad news. The bad news first...hubby is going back to the hospital today to have test run on one of his kidneys....Good news....He's out of organs to test!!!!!! I know I'm bad............My email is back up. It's been up and down for two days now.

Jen~~I love it when we go on daylight savings time. I like for it to say daylight until about 9 at night, I get more done. I hear you about the yard work, it's about to hit with a vengeance. Our yard needs the weeds mowed out right now. It's time for flowers and to spray the weeds out of the fence row, I could go on but I won't. I have to admit I like yard work, it's just that I have to leave something else to get it done. I'm still working on that bedroom. It is going so slow because of the hand painting of the border. It is going to be so pretty though. I have a shade problem here too. I put out Impatience, they bloom all summer as long as you keep them watered. I have a lot of hosta too. I have problems with hosta really looking bad when it gets really hot. I love to smell lilacs. I just can't have anymore flowers, it takes a lot of time to water them in the summer. My hubby thanks he's having problems....he's a bit of a hyper-con-dre-act.{How's that for spelling, spell check couldn't help me. I thank he's trying to get everything repaired before he retires. Oh my, menopause, it comes at different times for different people. Ask your mom when hers started, thats a good indication as to when you will start too. Wonderful time by the way, your nerves all on the outside of you skin.
Tobey~~Thanks for all the info you posted yesterday. I'm hoping spring has arrived here too. Last night it stayed 60 degrees. Plants can't really grow well until the nights start staying 60 and above at night. We are getting fresh Asparagus from the garden now. Do you like it? We have so much of it we don't know what to do with it. I can it every year. He doesn't like it out of the freezer. I know you must have a good recipe for it, I could use a different way of fixing it. PLEASE My food plan works better for me than any I've ever had. If I could just get rid of the obsession to eat. I'm addicted I'm afraid. I've got back on the diet pop finally. I have to drink it for a few days before I really like it. I don't drank much of it, but it tastes good sometimes and helps me from eating something worse.

Well it's been a pleasure writing this morning but I need to run now. I'm thanking of doing a little sewing today. I'm out of cloths. Have a good one. I was going to attach a picture of last years Hosta for Jen, but at las I couldn't find it. I thank it's time to get rid of some of those gifs, I've to 2.10 megabytes in that file. I not only have to clean house, I have to clean puter and I thank it's time.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:52 AM   #22  

Hello ladies. I'm up and at 'em this morning. Actually, I had a tanning appt so I had to drag my butt out of bed. But boy, it's a wonderful way to wake up! I noticed on my way in the house that my rhubarb is up about 3 inches! Yummy! I make crisp and upside down cake with it. I thought of another thing that I love in the summer, sun tea. I'm gonna be in heaven this year. Especially after I have my new deck built, which may be at the end of May, after school. Speaking of school, I can tell that I'm getting "senioritis". I really don't care or want to do anything. Almost done, almost done, almost done! I went shopping yesterday and picked up a couple of sweaters that were on clearance, they are elbow length sleeves, so I can still wear them. I also got some denim capris. Couldn't help myself. I may have to pick up a 4 hr shift tomorrow to pay for it! But at least I have the ability to work whenever I want to buy something extra.

Marlana- I'll get my menopause in my mid - 40's according to my mom. But her mom was almost 60! YIKES! I'm with you on staying light until 9pm. June is my favorite time of year. My weeds are growing too. Except I don't think my mower will work. I was going to mow my leaves last fall and it wouldn't start. My neighbor is pretty handy though. I'll have him take a look at it. At least your hubby goes to the doctor. Some men just ignore their problems until its too late. I call it "Y-chromosome disease".

Tobey- Glad to see that you're back. A rowing club? Wow. You are ambitious. I saw some people on the Mississippi the other day when I went in to work. Looked like a lot of hard work. But great for your upper body. I'm gonna have to get my life preserver ready. It was this time of year 3 yrs ago that I lost alot of weight and felt really good. Now I have to do it again. Marathon? Doubtful. But there is a 7 mile Bix run in July. Maybe. The Heartwalk was great. I wasn't able to run though. Too many people, and it was led by a truck to clear the street. I'm also in a MS Walk this Sunday. It's only a 5K though. The Rat Race sounds cute.

Oh, that diabetic plan that I follow is 4 veggies, 3 fruits, 6 protein, 5 starch, 2 dairy, and 4 fat exchanges. I think it works out to about 1400 cal. But I think today and tomorrow I'm gonna do only fruits and veggies to give me a jump start.

Gotta get going and get busy. Work is at 3pm today. Would like to about finish one of my papers today as well. UGH!

Jen
Old 04-11-2002, 04:59 PM   #23  
Senior Chick

Talking

Hey Everyone

I can't seem to make it in here every day lately. We had to go to town yesterday for groceries and decided to go give blood first. We had just enough time to get the groceries put away and take a quick shower before going to church. I guess it is better to be busy than be bored.

Marlana~Sugar, the red betta is the one that I bought for my friend as a housewarming gift. My breakfast bar has one whole side full of tanks and bowls. When I first started with the bettas, a couple of the tanks looked good sitting on that counter. Five of them just look crowded so I guess, one more won't make a difference. There are only two tanks that are shaped the same which helps the appearance a lot. The smallest is the vase that holds 1 1/3 gallons of water and the largest holds 2 1/2 gallons. It's too bad that I can't put all 5 bettas in that 20 gallon aquarium that my daughter gave me. I still haven't gotten around to doing anything with that yet. Maybe this summer I can find the time to mess with it. Sleeping as late as one wants is definitely a very good part of retirement. Staying up as late as you want goes along with that too.

Jen~I agree about your grandpa changing doctors. It has seemed like a long time since his original diagnosis and he still isn't being treated for it. That seems a little scary if he wants to fight the problem. I love lilacs but can't seem to get one to grow here. I don't think that it gets cold enough for them. My husband brought me some hostas back from Maryland two years ago. I am hoping to see it sprouting out soon. He also brought me some primrose that has just gone crazy here. I have it in two different places now and it is blooming like crazy. I can't get a good picture of it with the digital camera though. It turns out to bright and the flowers are just washed out of the picture. I'll keep trying on a cloudy day. I am happy for you to be getting down to the last of your schooling. You won't know what to do with yourself when it is over.

Tobey~The boys are doing just great and they loved the beach. They were also very good at my friends house that day. They visit people very well and are well behaved. I hope that your mom gets to use the stick soon. We know what it is like to live on a limited budget. I guess you will sure be glad to see some spring weather soon. I just love this time of year with everything so green and blooming. Our friends are going back to New York soon and life will get back to a calmer pace around here. Maybe then I can do better on controlling my food. That was a great article that you shared with us and I am going to try it. At this point, I need all the help that I can get.

Now it is time to get my dogs brushed before I start dinner. Tonight is TV night for me. Y'all have a good evening.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:26 PM   #24  

Hi everyone. I was posting yesterday and then lost my connection. I was to aggrivated to try again so I didn't get back on line. But here I am.

Dh is home from the hospital. He got out yesterday. They said he has asthma and the beginnings of emphysema so he's working on quitting which means I'll be working on quitting to. It will be so much easier on both of us to do it at the same time. Plus they are planning a 75 cents a pack tax increase so we won't be able to afford it anyway. Plus we can't justify it.

I feel like I haven't gotten a whole lot done at work this week. Too many interuptions. You know how you kinda plan things out for the work week, well, my plans arent working out.

I won't be able to post to everyone cause we have plans tonight but I will come in tomorrow and post to you all. I just wanted to let you know I'm still around. Take care everyone.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:14 AM   #25  

Howdy all

I tried to get in yesterday but the forum was closed every time I tried

What a BEAUTIFUL morning here!!! I’m so happy that weather has turned around. It was so nice out yesterday too that I decided to take a walk around the neighbourhood at about 7:00 (I’m also so happy that it is still light out until past 8:00!). Even dh decided to join me. We were gone for close to an hour and didn’t even realize it! I’m also trying to convince dh that he wants to get out and play tennis with me this weekend.

Marlana: How did hubby’s tests go? That’s sounds kind of scary! Fresh asparagus – YUMMY!! Have you ever tried roasting or grilling it? Double yum! I do have different recipes that use it. What are you looking for? Besides grilling it, I like to use it in salads and in pasta. Let me know what you like and I’ll fire off a recipe or two. Don’t worry – you are in good company. I am totally a food addict as well. That’s why I have learned to cook low-fat, try to eat small portions, and run my A** off!

Jen: The thought of fresh rhubarb reminds me of being a kid (not that I’m really grown up now ) We use to break off a fresh stem and dunk it in sugar and then ate it. My mom was also great at baking with it. I don’t think I’ve had any in years!! I have to ask – what is “sun tea”? I love wear capris. Being a shorty – they are great because I can buy them at almost any store (not just shorty-stores) and I don’t have to worry about hemming them – which I would never get around to doing. I would love to get a denim pair. Don’t know if I have ever seen them in denim. I am looking forward to rowing. The funny thing is that I also thought it was all upper body. However, according to them it is all leg strength. Guess I’ll find out. Have fun at the MS walk. I know the one here is a real blast. Lots people, water, and healthy food!

Skeeter: I agree – this time of year is sooo beautiful. On our walk we noticed some really pretty green lawns and some flowers that are getting ready to bloom. The birds we also out in full force singing their songs. I think I have spring fever!!

Jojo: Glad to hear that hubby is home. Sorry to hear that he has asthma and the beginning of emphysema. Glad to hear that you will both be quitting!!!

Well that’s all for now. Back to work – TGIF!!

Tobey
Old 04-12-2002, 11:53 AM   #26  

Good morning ladies. Yesterday I did really well with the "fruit and veggie day". I may try to pull it off again today. It's very motivating to get through the day knowing that no matter how much I ate, it was all healthy and probably under my limit. The weather is dreary this morning, April showers I guess. It's supposed to clear up and get sunny this afternoon. I did sign up for an extra 7-11 shift tonight. It's the easiest one, I think. I get the whole day to myself and it keeps me off the couch and out of the kitchen in the evening! Plus, I earn money for a shopping spree!

Tobey- I love asparagus too. I like to steam it and sprinkle it with the cheese butter sprinkles. YUMMY! I am going to have to try it on the grill now. Sun tea is just what it is called. Tea made by the sun. I have a gallon glass container with a lid (made specifically for sun tea), and set it out in the sun for an afternoon. For some reason, I think it's better than brewed tea. I found the denim capris at a store called Kohls. But they are all over the place here. Rowing with your legs? Should be interesting to watch!!!

Jojo- Sorry about your hubby's health news. But quitting is probably the best thing you guys can do, regardless of emphysema or not. I recommend trident to keep your mouth busy and a pencil to keep your hands busy. When I quit 5 yrs ago, I never left home without either! I even drove holding the pencil to fool my brain!

Skeeter- You are soooo busy, always into something. You have bettas like I have cats. I thought 7 was alot, so I got another. What's one more when you're already full? I am just itching to get out into my yard and work. I went walking though a garden center the other day. They only had about 1/3 of the stuff in, but it was still so neat.

I suppose that is about it for today. I need to go to the nursing uniform website and get some new short sleeve scrub tops for the spring.

Happy and healthy,

Jen
Old 04-12-2002, 08:28 PM   #27  
Senior Chick

Angry

Hey Everyone

Surprise, I made it in two days in a row. Today wasn't too bad as I just concentrated on grooming my dogs. My friend that taught me how to groom them, came over and helped me get them done today. I am so glad to get that job done for another month or so. The oak trees are shedding some kind of little seed pods or something. Anyhow, my dogs hair is like Velcro with those things so they got very short haircuts today.

JoJo~I am glad to hear that your husband is home from the hospital. It seems that there sure are a lot of adults being diagnosed with asthma lately. Let's hope that he will find a good medicine to help him. My husband seems to agree with the first one that was prescribed for him. He has found the perfect time in the evenings to use his inhaler that mixes well with his Ambien and is sleeping about 6 hours each night. Good luck with the quitting If it gets too tough, you might want to try the Nicotrol Inhalers for that. That is what I used when I quit two years ago.

Tobey~I also have spring fever since we got that little cool snap over a week ago. We got some rain yesterday and again this evening. We need it really bad, especially since this is supposed to be our dry month. I had two roses bloom today on my little tea rose bush. I don't do very well with roses so this is exciting for me. I still can't seem to get any decent pictures of my flowers with that little digital camera. Everything looks too bright and the color washes out even though I tried taking some with the thick clouds this evening. It might be time to read the instruction book.

Jen~I can't let myself stroll through the garden centers this time of year. They are just crammed full of every type of blooming flower and bush that you can think of and just drives me crazy. I have to force myself not to get too crazy planting flowers because the bugs are very plentiful here in these woods. I don't like to use pesticides too often so I hold down on the flowers. We also like sun tea here. Isn't it funny that it seems to taste better than brewed tea?

Y'all have a good evening. I am starting to yawn and feel the need for a nap. It's a terrible time to take a nap but it's too early to go to bed.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:32 AM   #28  

Good Morning

I tried to post last night, twice in fact and got knocked off line both times. The first time I had quite a bit written and after the second time I gave up. I was having a pity part for myself last night so its probably best I didn't post. I was just feeling overwhelmed and a bit depressed. I'm somewhat better this morning except for a headache that I woke up with.

Tobey, I'm really glad to see you back again. Sounds like things are going pretty good now. It has been really nice here to. yesterday it got up to 75 and this weekend is supposed to be similar except for possibility of rain. I can handle a little rain tho. It was a dry winter so I think we could use some. I'm so looking forward to the trees getting their leaves. I just love the pretty colors of brand new leaves and the flowering trees. Spring is a happy time for me. I just feel better.

Jen, dh hasn't quit yet and neither have I but we will. He does sound a lot better with the two inhalers he is using. Plus he sounds like he is sleeping a lot better. Even his snoring isn't as loud which helps me sleep better to. Dh wants to try out nicotine patches so I'm going to check out prices for them this weekend. I've got one of those nicotine inhalers that really does work (I've tried it) if you let it. I was doing pretty good with it but then went back to the real thing I'm not sure I could do fruit and veggies all day. I'm such a carb addict but I read an article in Self Magazine and it has a plan for carb addicts that I'm going to look into more.

Skeeter, dh is talking about taking the dog and getting her hair cut some for the summer. She gets so hot. But I heard that their hair also insulates them from the heat and humidity as well as the cold. We had her cut when she was still a baby and she was so cute. Thats great your dh is getting decent sleep finally. Six hours must feel like heaven to him. I've got the nicotrol inhaler but it may be outdated. I'll have to check.

Well, I'm going to get off here before I get knocked off. Last night my monitor kept popping but so far everything seems ok with it. Take care everyone.
Old 04-13-2002, 11:07 AM   #29  

Happy Saturday Morning!

It has been a pretty relaxing morning this morning. I have been up for 3 hours and I’m still in my PJ. That doesn’t happen very often. I’m in no hurry today – it is pretty gloomy outside (but still warm). The sun is supposed to show its head later today but I’m not too worried. I think dh and I are going to go to a matinee this afternoon – probably go see ET.

Jen: Did you order some nice scrubs for the spring? My mom has started making her own (I don’t have that talent!). She like buying funny prints and doing up ones for every holiday. She works in a seniors home and the residents get a big kick out of it. After all of that talk yesterday of fresh asparagus made me really crave it. I grilled some up for dinner last night and used the leftovers this morning in an egg white omelette. Yummy. I love the idea of sun tea!!! I asked around and no else here had ever heard of it as well. Is it expensive for a pot? I would love to see if I can mail-order one from the US for my mom. I am sure she would get the biggest kick out of it. I’ve heard of Kohls (and seen their commercials) but we don’t have any in Canada.

Skeeter: Roses out already?! How exciting. You will have to dig out that instruction book – I would love to see some pics. The lady who live next door to us has a real green thumb and can grow any type of flower. Her yard is sooo beautiful. Last year one was on the best years for her yard that she was giving away a lot of her flowers. In fact I came home one day last summer and thought that dh had gone out and bought me a huge bouquet from the florists. Turns out that our neighbour stopped by with that bouquet from her garden for me!! I bet the boys look and feel good with their new do’s.

Jojo: I’ve thrown a lot of pity parties for myself too! By Tuesday we are supposed have weather in the 70’s – I can’t wait. I don’t mind the rain right now either. It does make every thing so green and pretty. I also love the fresh smell it leaves behind. This time of year does seem to have such a positive effect on everyone’s spirits. Glad I don’t live at home any more. They still have snow where my mom lives! I hope your monitor doesn’t die on you. We had that happen to one of ours. But the good news was that it was actually still under warrantee!!! That never happens.

Well guess that’s about all for now. Enjoy your spring weekend!!

Tobey
Old 04-14-2002, 03:15 PM   #30  

Okay everyone must be have a much busier weekend than me! Hope you’re having fun!

Yesterday ended up be a real quiet day. The sun never did come out so dh and I spent most of the day lounging around. We only went out just to pick up a few things and to say we at least stepped out of the house that day. We didn’t even answer the phone. It was kind of nice.

Today is another grey day – so much for our sunny weekend! After church this morning, dh and I went a small jaunt. I ran and he bladed. It was fun and we ended up covering just over 5 miles. It is a good thing that we didn’t go any further as it started to rain when we were about a mile from home.

Oh well April showers brings May flowers!

See ya Monday!

Tobey
Closed Thread