Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Three days is nothing if it stays at three days! And I just don't think that 3 days off plan in July, after starting in February (or thereabouts), is "quickly" stumbling. You're doing just fine.

I'm sure even in your best case scenario, you lose the weight and maintain for life, you don't see yourself being *that* perfect. So really, this is just a perfect learning exercise for (1) how to get back on track and (2) to look back and learn how you could have prevented or lessened it.

Without that lesson, "messing up" and getting back on track is a big scary unknown. Which makes many people *more* likely to fall. But when you really do know, from experience, that you can be a little imperfect sometimes, and recover just fine, it's not so scary, and that fear doesn't have to sabotage you.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 321.8/261/164

I'm floored by the wisdom and kind support of all you guys!!! Thanks so much! It has really helped me to read through your messages this morning. I'm preparing some healthy food as I type this. When I get back from the doctors today, and I'm hungry, I'll have healthy choices at my fingertips. This is a learning experience. Back to the new healthy lifestyle!!!

p.s. I am bringing a plastic storage bowl filled with black beans, brown rice, veggies and a little fat free italian dressing. I'll even remember to bring a fork and napkin, plus a water bottle. I have learned from past experiences not to leave home without bringing healthy food. I hate getting ravenous, setting myself up for a binge later in the day.

Last edited by thesusanone; 07-07-2008 at 02:09 PM.
thesusanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I almost never leave the house without a small serving of almonds, or some kind of snack! It really helps me! Good luck!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #19  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Sounds like you're back on track.

I felt really bloated and "hung-over" this morning--problem is, I didn't have any alcohol-LOL. Just lots of salty food. I told myself before I got out of bed that I wasn't going to weigh-but I did it anyway

Then I thought "I'll do a water fast today"-LOL. That didn't work either.
I am going to drink alot of water and eat clean today though.

Best wishes to you

and remember:
Failure is not falling down, Failure is staying down.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK View Post
Question: Did you BINGE or did you just overeat a bit? I think there is a difference, especially at a party or on a holiday.

I've been wondering about this myself. I know that there are many people who struggle with true binges, but at times it seems people are using the terms overeat and binge interchangeably (I'm certainly not implying this is one of them, but this is one the first times I've seen the distinction come up).

I remember reading a post where someone mentioned they binged on three pieces of pizza at dinner with the family. I guess that it could be a binge, but it just isn't a word that I use lightly and I hate to see anyone beating themself up, especially if they really didn't go overboard.

Last edited by Silverstar33; 07-07-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #21  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I think it's an important distinction to make... imo, anyone could overeat; it doesn't mean you're lacking in control over yourself with regard to food. People with relatively few food issues do occasionally overeat, esp. at parties when they maybe aren't paying attention to what and how much they're eating and drinking. But binging is a serious problem brought on by emotional and/or chemical addictions to food, you eat compulsively even when you tell yourself you need to stop. And of course, not ever overweight person has a binging problem (and not every thin person doesn't).

Speaking for myself... overeating and binging *feel* different. Overeating happens when I'm still a tad hungry and think I can have another slice of pizza but wind up feeling WAY full. Binging is when I'm DRAWN to the box of cereal... drawn to it even when I realize I drank all the milk, drawn when I feel so gross and full I wanna throw up, drawn to then eat something ELSE when the cereal is finished...

But I dont know, of course, what happened in this case -- I just thought it was important to distinguish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstar33 View Post
I've been wondering about this myself. I know that there are many people who struggle with true binges, but at times it seems people are using the terms overeat and binge interchangeably (I'm certainly not implying this is one of them, but this is one the first times I've seen the distinction come up).

I remember reading a post where someone mentioned they binged on three pieces of pizza at dinner with the family. I guess that it could be a binge, but it just isn't a word that I use lightly and I hate to see anyone beating themself up, especially if they really didn't go overboard.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #22  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK View Post
I think it's an important distinction to make... imo, anyone could overeat; it doesn't mean you're lacking in control over yourself with regard to food. People with relatively few food issues do occasionally overeat, esp. at parties when they maybe aren't paying attention to what and how much they're eating and drinking. But binging is a serious problem brought on by emotional and/or chemical addictions to food, you eat compulsively even when you tell yourself you need to stop. And of course, not ever overweight person has a binging problem (and not every thin person doesn't).

Speaking for myself... overeating and binging *feel* different. Overeating happens when I'm still a tad hungry and think I can have another slice of pizza but wind up feeling WAY full. Binging is when I'm DRAWN to the box of cereal... drawn to it even when I realize I drank all the milk, drawn when I feel so gross and full I wanna throw up, drawn to then eat something ELSE when the cereal is finished...

But I dont know, of course, what happened in this case -- I just thought it was important to distinguish.
I agree. A binge, for me is a total, out of control feeding frenzy that doesn't stop until I am helpless, sick, hardly able to move and usually crying, while frantically tearing my kitchen apart, looking for more.

My binges are an attempt to mask pain. And they are temporary anesthesia, at best. The numb out doesn't last long. And when it is gone, I am left feeling sick, gross, ashamed and in more pain than when I started.

Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #23  
Back at square one

S/C/G: 218/218/160

Yeah, don't beat yourself up! I consumed BBQ chicken, a hot link, potato salad and two chimichangas over 4th of July weekend. It sucks but I'll be in spinning tonight working my a** off!
Bonita Applebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Bonita, on a side note, how do you like spinning? I've thought about trying it, but I've been a little nervous because of stories I've heard about crazy intensity.
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:37 AM   #25  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

silverstar33 - spinning ROCKS! Get there like 15 minutes before class so the instructor can help you set up your bike and give pointers. The first few times will prolly feel crazy intense but it gets easier. The good thing about spin is that no one else knows how much restistance you put on. You can make the ride as easy or hard as you want it to be. The other selling point of spin for me is that I don't have to be coordinated like in a step class.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote