Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #16  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I do both as well. On Thursday I measure my waist right at my belly button. Actually at the largest part of my gut I should say. Then I weigh on Fridays. It is very interesting as snappless pointed out, if I have a significant inch loss there is minimal weight loss. If I don't loose inches, I lose more pounds. I can accurately guess how much weight I've lost by the tape measure. They are both just tools to measure progress. Really, we all know if we are doing well or not on how we feel and how our clothes fit. If I feel great and my jeans aren't cutting into my skin, I know I'm doing well.

I limit my weighing & measuring because it can become an obsession as is eating. I find the more I cheat the more I weigh myself and inevitably the worse i feel. In my high school years it lead to bulimia and laxative abuse.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-21-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #17  
Bikini Season :)

after recently being away from my scale for a week, i am measuring weekly and weighing weekly. i was measuring monthly and weighing every time i walked near the thing!
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 225/158/135

Height: 5'5

I weigh myself, although not regularly. Sometimes it's every day, sometimes it's every other week.
What I really have is a black pleather belt that I bought when I decided to go on a diet. It has more holes than a regular belt. As I move along the holes I just keep looping it in.
ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #19  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

For some reason I just cant budge any inches. I can lose lb after lb but no inches, and I honestly can't understand how I can lose weight but not inches! Its not muscle, I hardly exercise. Grrr.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #20  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I don't really find measuring convenient and I have my clothes to tell me about size reduction. I prefer to step on the scale every day to measure overall progress and stay focused. It's fast and convenient. And because I already had a good amount of muscle mass, I didn't see myself putting on so much more so fast that it would impede the losses on the scale. That has proven to be the case.

That being said, what works for each person is different and go for whatever works for you.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 06-22-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

I do both. I weigh myself every morning but I only measure once a month.

I do my hips, waist (above belly button), the largest part of my tummy, my thighs, calves, bust and upper arm.
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #22  
Supporter

S/C/G: 196/154/147

Height: 6' 0"

Some great input there, thank you very much! I agree that the best way to monitor progress is to note when you have to buy new clothes because your current wardrobe is too large. Spoz - have you not expeienced this at all?

Ginny - the belt method is one I use too! The belt never lies!

Tyler Durden - I'm sure you're right. one of the reasons for the popularity of scales is that it is sooo quick!

So, I will go with chest(bust), waist and hips. I'll start off a weekly thread but if that proves to be too much I'll move it to fortnightly or monthly. Watch this space!
AJ113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

I lost three inches on my waist and I'm up a pound today, go figure.

I think getting a nice new leather belt is the way to go, and start on the last hole and go from there, that's what I did, I got a nice leather one online. I started on the first and now I'm on the second hole.
rosemarie0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

I must say I check the scales about 15 times a day, it is a terrible obsession I have, which really doesn't help much. I also go to a dietition once a week to get weighed, and I recall one week I lost 4 lbs and the next week I stayed the same, I was so frustrated, but as it turned out I had lost 3.5 lbs of body fat and gained 3.5 of muscle/lean body mass. so technically I did lost 3.5 pounds the scales just won't show it all the time!
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I have been losing weight for over two years now. It always seems that when i lose weight, i lose inches. If i lose no weight, i lose no inches. So...if i'm not losing pounds, really no sense in me measureing myself. But i think this is a great thread to start for those who are losing inches while maybe not pounds. Matter of fact, i had put on about 5 pounds, and i believe i put on inches. That's what the dang tape measure says anyways. lol.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote