Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #16  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
Perdue Chicken Shortcuts -- OMG you can do anything with these things. They come in different flavors (original, honey, grilled) and you can add them to whole wheat tortillas w/veggies and seasonings; soup w/veggies and chicken stock; stir fry (you can buy precut veggies and just throw 'em in); chicken tacos; chicken salad; anything you can think of. They are a bit pricey so I usually buy tons when they are on sale then just freeze them. Really versatile.

The hardest part is starting and the beginning is hard but - - - you can do it. Just start with one baby step at a time followed by another and you will find the strength to keep going! Good luck!!
The Perdue Chicken Shortcuts sound great...I haven't seen them in Denver or here in California, does anyone know what stores (and/or where) they are sold? Thank you!!!
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #17  

Height: 5'8

As has been mentioned, Lean Cusine, Smart Ones & Kashi Go Lean offer some fairly decent microwave choices. Also, if there's a Trader Joe's near you, they do offer some fairly decent microwave options (just read the labels). Buying the cut/washed lettuce makes salads quicker & easier. I second oatmeal as a good, quick option.

As for the cravings, what I do is once a week, I'm allowed whatever I want for a meal. This week, it's dinner at a Spanish tapas restaurant. I could have McDonald's, etc. if I want, but I find I'd rather use the calories on something like tapas or pizza or Chinese food or Thai, etc.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #18  

Height: 5'3"

I still eat fast food about once a week...I even have a burger and fries. I get the smallest burger with no special sauce/mayo/cheese...just a little ketchup/mustard/pickle and maybe (at some places) lettuce and tomato. I share my dh's french fries (small or med) and a diet driink. Sure i could get a salad but I am not usually wanting that..I want the burger so I get it. I sometimes want more to eat but I tell myself I can get some veggies when I get home if I really want more. Then I count the calories and just adjust my eating the rest ofthe day.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 296/295/250

Height: 5'7"

Thanks everyone! There are loads of good ideas posted here. I think maybe cooking in bulk and freezing it is probably the most cost effective. I don't mind cooking every once in a while so maybe it'll all work out for me.
xonlywishesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 240/240/160

Height: 5'7''

I used to eat A LOT of fast food and do a bunch of eating out Carlos O kellys was my downfall. I just stopped going to those places by remembering what I felt like after I stuffed my face and with the gas prices I ask myself 'would I rather eat out or be able to have a few extra bucks in my pocket'

I sent over $200 on fast food in feb. and wondered why I didnt have any food at home
mimosa08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 265/207/165

Height: 5' 3"

Has anyone else tried the Fresco menu at Taco Bell? It's pretty good and the calories aren't too bad. There is some fat but not THAT bad compared to if you have the full fat items with sour cream etc.

Fresco Ranchero Chicken Soft Taco 170 calories and 4 grams of fat
Fresco Grilled Steak Soft Taco 160 Calories and 4.5 grams of fat

They have a number of other items including some burritos that are about 330 calories and 8 grams of fat.

I'm not sure how much better you can do if you really MUST have fast food.

Last edited by msroboto; 04-26-2008 at 07:55 PM.
msroboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #22  
2nd time around

S/C/G: 185/173/140

Default Look at the Nutritional Index

I too LOVE Micky D's! But once I started to educate myself and read the nutritional index on the bottom of the Fast Food boxes (standard here in Canada), it shows how many calories, how much fat/sodium/cholesterol... GROSS! Take a look, it will turn you off, guaranteed!

My thirteen year old daughter and I went to MacDonalds a couple of weeks ago. I had a salad and she had a burger. After she finished I told her to flip it over and read it. She was grossed out! When you look at 500 calories and then realize how much exercise you have to do and for how long... just to burn that off you body! It's a wake up call!

Education is the key! Start reading, you will never look at muffins, burgers and chips the same ever again!!!
gtekkrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #23  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtekkrom View Post
I too LOVE Micky D's! But once I started to educate myself and read the nutritional index on the bottom of the Fast Food boxes (standard here in Canada), it shows how many calories, how much fat/sodium/cholesterol... GROSS! Take a look, it will turn you off, guaranteed!

My thirteen year old daughter and I went to MacDonalds a couple of weeks ago. I had a salad and she had a burger. After she finished I told her to flip it over and read it. She was grossed out! When you look at 500 calories and then realize how much exercise you have to do and for how long... just to burn that off you body! It's a wake up call!
I so agree with you. It is horrible to read the nutritional info (though that seems to be an oxymoron in this case - LOL) on the other side of the paper liner and see how many carbs and fat and sodium are in a McMeal. One McMeal and you can be pretty much done with all your calorie intake for the whole day!
My mind works like yours - I always think about how long it takes me to burn 400 calories (or any other amount) on the treadmill and how sweat it takes, etc., and then it is gone with a small burger. That in itself is a big deterrant for me.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #24  
The Princess

S/C/G: 225/206/150

Height: 5' 7"

Former fast food junkie here!! Last year I gave up fast food for my new year's resolution. It was tough at first...not so much giving up the food, but having to give up the sheer convenience of it. I find that I don't really miss the way the food tastes. I've settled for some microwave meals a few times a week and then having supper leftovers the rest of the time. I'm not someone who likes to cook a lot and I find it easier to make a large quantity of something on a Sunday and eat it all week. Soups are good for that, meatloaf, chili...rotisserie chickens found in the deli case are awesome for a quick sandwich or salad (I can usually get two meals for my husband and I from one chicken). Hang in there and stay committed to your lifestyle change. You'll be fine!
Dorys Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #25  
2nd time around

S/C/G: 185/173/140

I find that once I am off fast food for a while, when I do eat it, I have to go to the bathroom within 30 min after eating it. That should tell you something!
gtekkrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:29 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 296/295/250

You guys are so awesome! Thanks for all your help. I will be utilizing my freezer quite a bit more. I think I can handle a day of cooking as long as I don't have to touch the stove for the rest of the week.
xonlywishesx is offline   Reply With Quote