Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #1  
Hawaiian Wonder Woman

Height: 5'8"

Default A Lesson Learned At Disney World

Hi!

Just got back from a trip to Disney. I decided to really watch out for my eating habits here, much better than anyone else in my family, who are mostly skinny. It went good for awhile...chicken, grilled salmon and greens aplenty… until, one day, I was too strict with myself. That led to a night of binging from not getting enough protein. I was craving meat and found whatever protein foods I could find.

Then I learned something valuable. I’ve been treating myself as if I were some sort of Captain Bligh for goodness knows how long. Being too strict and dictatorial with myself, too much this and not enough that, forbidding this and absolutely none of that, and that’s why I’ve always failed in the weight loss attempts of the past. I’ve learned that I’ve got to not take this weight loss thing–or anything in life–too seriously and lighten up on myself and the world around me. And learn to have fun with my health and weight loss plan. It’s the only way I’ll keep it off.
champagnesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 179.6/128/125

Yeah...that's why I always found those diets that eliminate food groups from your diet absolutely ridiculous.

Well learning a lesson is always good...even if it's the hard way!
SoulMeetsBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #3  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

to learning a lesson. even if it was done the hard way. i could not live with out some of my favorite foods. that is why i choose the moderation approach.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #4  

I've learned that too -- I can't really handle the "all or nothing" attitude -- I "need" certain things, and that's okay!! I may not lose weight as fast as if I quit eating little treats here and there, pizza with the family occasionally, etc. but I know I can stick with a more liberal approach longer.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #5  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Moderation vs. deprevation works for me too!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #6  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Kudos on your learning experience - who said Disney wasn't educational, heh...

And yeah, absolutely - not depriving myself is crucial for my success. I can't believe some of the "diet plans" I've been on in the past - way too low fat, or way too low carb (for me), way too low calorie... just way too low in general, and it always worked great for a while but set me up for a spectacular crash and burn.

Now my body tells me immediately and in no uncertain terms if my food intake is too restrictive - I get incredibly crabby, too. Yesterday was one of those days - my calories seemed to just melt away, but I felt hungry and snacky all the time. Then I noticed that I literally had not eaten *any* fat that day, and a TBSP of peanut butter fixed my cravings. Just like that.

I'll never try to fight my body again like I did in the past!

Last edited by Heffalump; 04-18-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #7  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

glad you learned that!! my WW leader has always stresses if you have a craving weight 30 minutes, if you still have that craving the "induldge" in that craving IN MODERATION! it keeps you from binging when you deprive yourself!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #8  

My hubby and I were just at Disney World in February. We both knew we'd want to be snacking all the time on all the goodies, so we split meals, snacks, etc. I didn't share my Diet coke or water with him though, lol.

My son and I are going back down in a couple of weeks, and I hope I can convince him to split things also.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #9  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

That's a good lesson to learn. I am still trying to learn how to incorporate things like pizza and pasta into my life...I tend to go overboard with those things. I guess I do alright: when I want pizza, I can either make a pita pizza or buy a lean cuisine one...I can't chance it by saying I'll just eat 1 or 2 slices of regular pizza...naw! I can't do potato chips or snacky things, though...that is the one thing I have banned with no consequences besides less binges...when I was even eating baked potato chips, it was setting me up for binges, but maybe that is just me. That is really the only thing I have to ban and I'm okay with it. What I am learning is, just like the pita pizza and lean cuisine, I can still have the things that I like (besides chips) if I make healthier versions. Instead of fries from Burger King, I can make homemade "baked" fries and be just as satisfied. I have to watch it with the pasta though, I have to limit it to once a week and be very careful about the portions. It sounds like you've got a great attitude towards weightloss now...one that will allow you to lose weight and keep it off! Way to go!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #10  

Height: 5'1"

Everyone one of us have different diet plans that we follow, and that is how it should be. No one thing works for everyone. I count calories. I can have anything i want, I just have to watch the calories. I do carry it a lot further than that. I really try to eat healthy. I try to learn new things from all the diets and take the ones that seem to make sense. Like with the new "lose your belly diet", it says to eat some good fat with every meal. That makes sense, because fat stays with you longer and makes you feel fuller. Having a little protien at every meal makes sense too.

When i make my menu out for the week, I plan in my little "indulgencies". I have a piece of really good chocolate every afternnon, with my cup of tea. I look forward to it, it's "my time". No way would I give up chocolate, that would just set me up for failure. But there are some foods i can't controle, so I don't buy them. They aren't anything of any nutritional value, and I don't need them anyway. If it's something you really love, either plan to use your calories for it or find a reasonable substitute.

This is our life. Food is supposed to nourish our bodies and be enjoyable. Don't make it a miserable thing.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote