Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

I use a large soup bowl for salad. I use a tiny bowl for cereal. I use a wine globet for slimfast if i drink it ...or for a smoothie. I have white correlle dishes but I eat off a purple plate that goes with a good set of dishes I have. Its alot smaller and I feel special when I eat off it. I only eat with a small fork and small spoon. My kids laugh at me...but hey whatever works!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #17  

S/C/G: Jan. 2008-173/ticker/135

Height: 5'5''

I just have basic round bowls and plates that are plain cobalt blue which I use for my oatmeal, eggs and other meals. I have a cobalt blue glass mixing bowl that I use for my salads since its a little bigger than my regular bowls.
skinny4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #18  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

You guys inspired me, so I went out and bought a 1-cup soup bowl and a fancy glass plate that is a little smaller than my regular dinner plate. Thanks for the inspiration!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

For me, it's a lot easier to eat and control portions if I have smaller plates or bowls to eat it out of. Tonight, I had some of my mom's fantastic spaghetti which I would normally eat a huge plate of, but tonight I put it in a shallow bowl and had about 2/5 cup spaghetti noodles with 2 small spoonfulls of sauce. It seems to really help me portion control.

I come from a family of "clean your plate" people, so I can still clean my plate, but not over eat.

OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I haven't found the perfect soup bowl. I am using a corelle bowl that I think they call a "berry bowl". It is just plain beige. I got some others that I liked, but turns out they aren't microwave safe - in my life everything has to go in the dishwasher and microwave. The cats are drinking water out of those bowls now.

I, too, have some small spoons from the family. I think they are demitasse spoons. They would be good for eating a treat like ice cream out of my little blue ramikins.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I have dinnerware fantasies. When (not if) I win lotto I am going to buy a different set of dinnerware for each month. Until then, I have a set of stone wre that I love. My plates and bowls are cobolt blue my mugs and luncheon plates ate yellow and a dark green with a floral print with colbalt and cranberry colored flowers.

Salads are brought to work in a mixing bowl. I am the only woman where I work and when I take lunch in the break room rahter than my desk they guys tease me that I have a salad bowl the size of most kitchen sinks.

I have a kitchen scale that I use for portions. I usually measure stuff in a cup the first few times, then weigh out that portion and write it down. I think it is easier to use the scale. I put whatever I am eating out of (plate bowl etc on the scale zero it out and add my food, zero it out again then add the next item. Saves on ashing all those little cups.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I bought a blue set of ocean style dishes from Ross a year ago, had to find some new bowls actually on ebay to match as I love the set and go through a lot of bowls for soup and salad. Since my star sign is fish, and I love the ocean these dishes make me happy. I love salads, have one almost daily. I read that Katherine Hepburn used to have five vegetables at least with lunch and dinner, in a book about her... I don't like vegetables like salad so I thought - it's easy, five vegetables on a salad (stealing an idea that must have contributed to her living a long healthy thin life). So I pack them on, love, love my salads!
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #23  
FB

I'm not fancy. I keep meaning to buy new plates, but my eyes are bigger than my budget and I find myself drawn to hugely expensive dinnerware. Or cute antique plates that are loaded with lead. I'm tired of my old wedding registry plates.

Anyhow, my salads are gigantic! I either use a big old pie plate or my jadite mixing bowls.

Plates, I use happy plastic kid ones or my retro dessert plates. Tiny, happy and the illusion of bigger portions.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #24  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Yes, I have special dishes - of course, they're my everyday dishes, but I think they're special just the same!

I use the salad plates for regular dinner eating. It really helps with portion sizes. I use a huge bowl for salads, and I do not put my dressing directly on my salad. I keep dressing in a condiment bowl, & I dip my fork in the dressing & then stab some salad. This keeps me from eating too much dressing!

I measure out cereal & so forth, because to me, that kind of thing is hard to eyeball. But as long as I use my "little plates" for basic dinner prep, I rarely go over the proper serving size of anything. And when I "go back for 2nds" - I only get VEGGIES.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #25  

I like dishes like some women like shoes! I have actually bought some pretty cute dishes at the $1 Store. I got some with red checks like my ticker, and some with a rooster pattern because we have chickens and my DH likes chicken decorative things.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 93.6/92.5/85

Height: 5.4

Yes I do have bowls and plates just for me. Brought smaller ones when I decided to diet. Nothing fancy, but white, I always thought that food looked better on white. And reading through this thread have just realised that I do a lot eating on the run, (Taxi Driver)for breakfast, I have 35g weetabix, dry sort of cereal in bite size pieces. And a orange already segmented. These I can just eat and drive without the mess. For lunch I have my chilly bag, and containers, I make up lunch the nite before, so it's ready to pack and run the next morning. Fruit, yogurt salad fish etc winter is coming for us so I have brought a wide mouthed flask for soups and stews.
And of course my faithful water bottle.
I am not too fussed about dinner ware But boy! do I have a lot of plastic containers
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #27  

You can get nice salad plates and bowls really cheap at walmart. I think my clear glass plate was only a dollar, and i know my bowl was 50 cents. I dont care that i dont have a set..I just need them for me. Walmart also has alot of pretty colored plates cheap.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #28  

MaryL, I have many, many plastic containers which are very dear to me .

I have some of those dishes from Wal-Mart. I don't have any glass ones, but I saw them and am considering one of those to go with my glass coffee mug from $ Store. Gotta have the right equipment, here!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #29  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I typically make my salad in a tupperware bowl (because I am making only for one) and then transfer it to a regular bowl. I don't have special dishes for myself but I do try to serve myself smaller portions. I also use a measuring cup for my cereal each morning.

Speaking of dogs - my dogs eat from stainless pet dishes but I did buy one mega-monstrous stainless steel bowl for their water. Piper (who is no longer alive) drank in such a fashion that most water landed on the floor around her. The huge bowl took care of it. The best buy I ever made - I was constantly wiping the floor before I bought it.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #30  

Pets are so messy, but we love them anyway.