Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #1  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Exclamation starting again- need input

Ok, so I've finally weighed myself. I am 163 and 5'4". I would like to set a mini goal for a friend's party which is April 24.
I've only dieted full force, destructive and so on.
Can anyone suggest a reasonable goal so that I don't set myself up to fail or just give up?

Last edited by kittycat40; 03-12-2008 at 03:05 PM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

If you want a mini goal, you could always set it for 159. (4 lbs & out of the 160's )

But, the time limit itself might be what would set you up for that failure feeling. Even if you set a reasonable goal, then didn't make it... would that help or hinder you? It can be quite disappointing to some people that they didn't "succeed" when in fact they have, but they're focusing on the wrong part of the goal.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #3  

Great answer from Faerie.

Good luck Kittycat40, there are a lot of nice and supporting people here, as well as some great tips and advice.
Mayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #4  
needs constant reminding

Thanks. Of course, I read your reply and immediately thought-- oh I'd love to be out of the 150s.... getting ahead of myself, eh?
you make highly valid points. I'll give them some thought before I charge on.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #5  
needs constant reminding

thanks Mayson.
Hey guess what-- I'm at 30 posts! ticker here I come
Old 03-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hey KittyCat!

You'll be eligible for your ticker at the end of the month, after the 30-day waiting period (30-days AND 30-posts...darned spammers ruin the fun for everyone!)

I am somewhat opposed to time-based goals, though I did have them. I found myself too often falling into a trap of "I will lost 10 lbs in 10 weeks", losing only 8 lbs, and then feeling like a failure...when in reality, I ROCKED it and lost 8 whole lbs! So I stopped putting deadlines on myself and just gave myself numbers to work toward. You can give yourself a 5 lb mini goal, for example, and just focus on getting that done. Afterward, set another mini goal.

If you do put a timeline on your goals, remember to be realistic (1/2 to 1 lb a week for someone with your BMI might be all your body will give you) and to congratulate yourself for any progress toward the goal when the time comes, not just if you meet it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote