Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/167.5/135

Height: 5'2

Default first plateau?

when did you reach your first plateau?
after a 10-lb loss, I had my first week with no loss.
frustrating!

thanks!
vera

veracitarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I haven't really reached a plateau, yet. I've had "stalls". That is 2 weeks w/o a loss, or with a small gain.

One week w/o a loss is not a plateau, though It could just be funky things going on. (Water retention, TOM, etc.) Stick with your plan, and take a look next week.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #3  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

In reaction to your first week of no loss- that is hardly a plateau. Plateaus last for weeks or even months. It can be almost expected that you will have some weeks with no loss. The important thing to ask yourself is- did you cheat/slip up/not eat enough calories. Losing weight is a delicate balance. Too many or too few calories can cause weightloss to stall. Also- are you exercising on a regular basis? Exercise is really important to maintain a more steady weightloss (though even then, that is no guarantee). Don't worry about it and see where you are next week. It could have also just been water retention (too much sodium or you didn't drink enough water), and you actually lost fat. Just keep going at it!!

As for people not noticing... don't worry about it. Everyone carries weight differently. Eventually, your body will begin to change and adapt- you'll notice your pants fitting differently, and you'll find it's just a little easier to climb the stairs. Don't worry about the "skinny minnies"- you shouldn't be losing weight for them, you should be losing it for you.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #4  

wow - thanks for the great advice.
i feel kind of dumb for thinking one week w/o loss is a plateau. oops. i'm new at this thing.
it is so hard not to be impatient and not to obsess.

vera
Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #5  

little moon rabbit-

where did you find those cool images of the lady losing weight?

inspiring!

vera
Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by veracitarella View Post
wow - thanks for the great advice.
i feel kind of dumb for thinking one week w/o loss is a plateau. oops. i'm new at this thing.
it is so hard not to be impatient and not to obsess.

vera

It's not a dumb thing to ask about! Never feel that way.

I completely realize your frustration over those zero-loss weeks. I've had a number of them. Like LittleMoon suggested. Take a glance over your last week to make sure you've been following your plan well, and if so, just move on. Reaccess if you need to next week!

I think everyone can be a little impatient. This is the ultimate test in patience! (For me, anyway ^^)

Last edited by Lovely; 02-22-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Spellin'
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #7  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

vera - you can get those images at My Virtual Model. You input your weight, height and characteristics. It's pretty cool.
www.mvm.com
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #8  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

I am glad fiberlover remembered... I couldn't for the life of me think of where exactly I found the models, lol. Yes, they are very inspiring. There is also a site called "weightview" where you can submit a real picture of yourself for free, and they will digitally remove weight from you- you can choose up to 40 lbs I think. I did 20 and I love my picture. Anything that will keep us encouraged, right? And no, do not feel dumb about asking. Weighloss is a learning process- trial and error. Ask as many questions as you want. We are all on this journey together!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Littlemoonrabbit...thanks for the website on weightview!! I submitted a pic of me in my bathing suit asking for 15 pounds to be taken off. That would put me at about 119...about my final goal. I can't wait for them to send my pic back so i can see how i "should" look.

As for the plateu question. I never really did plateu in my weightloss. If anything, i would have to say i just quit being so careful. Like i have been trying to get past 134 for almost a month. But really, i know deep inside it is my fault because i am not working out as hard, i'm not eating as good. If i could just get back to the plan, i could probably melt off these last 15 pounds i'd like to get rid of. Soon....I WILL get back on track. But yeah, one week is not a plateu...and no question is a stupid one. Ask and learn...it's the only way!!! :-)
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote