Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/172/145

Height: 5'5

Unhappy Don't Know Where To Start

I have tried several diets (LAWL, WW, Atkins to name a few) however, I don't know what to do now. I see my weight increasing week by week and I am really motivated to start something, anything! I am thinking about the Sonoma diet but after reading various blogs I may just count calories. I'm so confused!!! I'm just tired and frustrated and ready to make a change. I don't know what to do and the light at the end of the tunnel is starting to fade. If anyone could offer advice, please do so. THANKS
Luvly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh luvly ... you sound distressed!

Don't be. For one thing, there is no rule that says you have to pick a standard diet plan and stick to it forever. Some folks start out on WW but find it's not detaily enough. Others start out counting calories and find it too nitpicky. There are several forms of low carb. I have a friend who lost 60 lbs but eating off a smaller plate and shunning beer.

Stick with 3FC. Read lots, post, ask questions. You'll come up with the Luvly Plan ... over time ... the plan that works for you. And we're happy to help you along the way.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

What ultimately worked for me was counting calories. I don't like restrictive diets - you can eat this, you can't eat that, you have to look up "points" ... etc. I do best when it's just ... here's my calorie goal and here's what I have to eat.

If that seems even too overwhelmimg to being with, try just making one small change at a time. Do you drink sodas? Try eliminating sodas. Or limiting yourself to 1 a week. Do you eat lunch out every day? Try to bring a healthy lunch 1 day a week, then 2 days, then 3. Do you eat junk food - either fast food or snacks? Promise yourself to cut out a trip to a fast food place or a snack.

Also exercise !!!! Don't discount the value of exercise. Even simple walking ... start off with walking down the street. Or if you think you need the motivation of joining a gym or taking a class ... try that.

Little things will make a big difference ... don't let yourself get overwhelmed. Just start slow, with one thing at a time and move on from there.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:09 AM   #4  
Token Vulcan

I agree with Susan and Photochick.

There's several things you can do. Read the info on the board...don't let it confuse you that there's so much. That just means more options to consider. Ask questions, not just of the board but of yourself. Ask yourself if what you're reading sounds like something you can do. If not, look at something else. If it seems like you can do something partially but not all the way, don't dismiss it. Don't have an "all or nothing", "now or never" mentality. Remember that you are allowed to take things slowly, that you can dip your toe in the water instead of diving in and that changing your mind (switching your plan, modifying it, etc.) is allowed...the only failure is not trying.

I'm not an all or nothing person. When I started this, I began with small changes in my eating...stopping certain behaviors (going to McDonald's), modifying some (fruit or 100-calorie snack pack instead of a can of Pringles or choc chip cookies), adding some new ones (finding better food substitutes that I ended up loving), and keeping some old ones but in lesser amounts. I learned, for me, it helps when you are trying to wean yourself away from something to have a better option to replace it and that again, for me, there were still a few things I could keep, just in lesser quantity. I had been eating McDonald's fairly often. I haven't been in one in over 14 months and I don't even miss it because I really enjoy what I'm eating now. I'm not on anyone's plan but my own. I took what I needed and realized I could do from what I read and I combined it with my own tastes and habits...the plan and I sort of modified each other. As far as exercise, I could only manage about 10 minutes at a time when I started, a couple of times a day. But you know what? That was better than zero minutes! The weight started to come off and my stamina for exercise increased. Put on some music and get your body moving. Find ways to incorporate even small periods of exercise into your day and make it fun and interesting for yourself.

Consider right now to be your initial learning, researching, experimenting phase. Combine what you read with what you know about yourself and you'll come up with something. And keep it a learning/discovery process. Don't overwhelm yourself into inactivity or fear of failure. Don't look at anything as a quick fix or temporary plan. Look at it from the aspect of can I adapt to this way and can I adapt this way to me and making it something I can live with? Changes are easier to deal with when they happen slowly and gradually and you can get used to them.

You have it in you to figure it out. Learn, consider, experiment, experiment some more.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 02-15-2008 at 01:16 AM.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 167/157/125

I know that for me personally i never stick to a "diet plan" so calorie counting was the right thing for me. It really is a lifestyle change.

Also being here has helped to motivate me a ton!! Its such a great supportive place to be!
mommy2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/172/145

Height: 5'5

THANKS to all who replied. Good advice definately has put me in a more positive spirit. I CAN DO THIS!!!!
Luvly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 167/157/125

you CAN do it..just tell yourself that everyday and you will be great!!
mommy2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I love the Best Life Now book and journal, it's about gradually changing your lifestyle. If other diets haven't worked there's sound advice there. I too don't like following formal diets, I've tried a few, and I either get sick or yo yo. I've been steadily loosing a little weight just learning more about nutrition and reading various diet books, writing notes on ideas from each - the library is my friend, and this site too. It might be the diets haven't worked because when you've quit you've gone back to normal eating, if you make gradual changes, eat more nutritiously, count your calories, then you'll lose it for life. Hang out here, that's the best thing I've every done!
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I want to chime in with everyone above...try making little changes. Gradual, babystep changes...they can be your "plan" just as easily as a commercial plan like Atkins can be.

Maybe a good first step would be to increase your fruit/vegetable intake? Or to cut out some category of junk food?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/150-145

Height: 5'9"

I was doing Weight Watchers on my own just using a formula in an excel sheet to figure out the points. Too much work. I found out I'm a little too lazy to keep track of that stuff. Ha-ha. So now, I'm just making sure I'm eating the right portion sizes and food groups. I downloaded a Meal On My Own sheet from Jenny Craig to help me learn what I should be eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner and how big the serving sizes should be. I can eat anything, just in the right portions and combinations. I also gave up fast food...I was eating it waaaaay too much. So now I have well balanced meals that I really enjoy and I only snack on fat free things when I really feel the urge. Good luck with whatever you do! Everyone is here for you!
Florida Native is offline   Reply With Quote