Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #1  
A loser losing happily

S/C/G: 280/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

Angry Aggravated and Stuck!

In the past week I have gained a pound and just stood there without not a budge on my scale. I exercise twice a day and drink tons of water. I only drink water and milk, i don't like diet juices or sodas. I eat small portions and have given up almost all sweets, white breads, white rice and potatoes. I am eat between 1500-1700 calories a day, even though I have eaten as low as 1300 calories in a day. 2 of my small meals are mostly fruit and vegetables. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions? Please I need the help...
Tavinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I'm going through the same thing, and have gotten loads of helpful advice/thoughts/commiseration. Probably the best explanation I've received is that, if you're absolutely positive it's not eating-related, it's probably exercise-related. Apparently muscles swell and retain water when you start exercising regularly, and it would cause a weight gain. The best I can say is that it eventually goes away, once your body gets used to everything. Sounds like you're on track, though, don't change anything and give it a little more than a week!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/170/140

Height: 5'4"

Wink Do I connect!

Tavinni -- I've been there tons of times. There are a couple of things you might try -- if you haven't already. Change up your exercise routine, or take a couple of days off. I'm a low-carb person (they don't like me), but I do try to eat whole grains -- pasta, couscous, etc. Sometimes when I switch things up my body wakes up again.
TammieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3"

it's ok. take a deep breath. it sounds like you are doing everything right, so maybe your body is just adjusting. also, you may be gaining muscle while exercising. don't give up! i am sure the scale will reflect your effort soon enough. don't let it rule you! it's just one measurement.

you can do it.
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitejudyblueeyes View Post
I'm going through the same thing, and have gotten loads of helpful advice/thoughts/commiseration. Probably the best explanation I've received is that, if you're absolutely positive it's not eating-related, it's probably exercise-related. Apparently muscles swell and retain water when you start exercising regularly, and it would cause a weight gain. The best I can say is that it eventually goes away, once your body gets used to everything. Sounds like you're on track, though, don't change anything and give it a little more than a week!
What she said! I'm up a bit this week (300-400g but an 'up' is still an 'up' )
However not letting it get to me. I'm a daily weigher for one so take them with a pinch of salt - I only record once a week. That and I'm eating clean, exactly as I plan and exercising well. I can only assume that potentially I may be retaining a bit of water, so I'm staying on track, keeping up with my fluids and carrying on at the gym. I figure its almost a scientific impossibility for me NOT to lose weight doing this... even if it does take a while
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey there!

How do you track your calories? Are you certain about the numbers you've listed? Do you weigh or measure what you eat, or just "eyeball" it?

Can you give us an example of a typical day's food, broken down by meals and snacks? maybe we can make suggestions.

Hang in there!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #7  
A loser losing happily

I was using the prevention website to track daily calories but I have been slacking.

I measure my cereal in the morning

Average Day

so it comes out to a single serving of cheerios or honey nut cheerios at about 8 am with 1/2 cup of low fat milk in the cereal and either a cup of low fat to drink or I drink water. Sometimes I eat a boiled egg and a piece of wheat toast but I rather have cereal it makes me feel more full.

At about 11am I need something to eat so I have a whole apple or an orange (medium or large size, usually medium)

for lunch I have either a turkey or ham and Cheese sandwich, (2 slices of luncheon meat and one slice or 1 1/2 slices of cheese) most days on 2 slices of whole wheat bread. I am fond of also having a bowl of soup (1 1/2 or 2 serving portion, non dairy, non creamy [though I miss my NE clam chowder]).

2nd Snack happens at 3 or 4 depending on the length of my work day, It could be another piece of fruit, a small fruit salad (usually home made cuz I am cheap and buy in bulk), cherry tomatoes or frozen grapes (which I love).

Then for dinner I have a cup of rice (usually brown rice, very rarely will I have white rice...but sometimes I really really crave it in two months I might have eaten it 3 or 4 times), a vegetable and a protein, usually chicken, baked.

I keep it at about 1500-1700 calories, sometimes I will split a can of soup for lunch and dinner, thats the days that I will eat 1200-1300 calories.

Maybe I am eating the wrong things. I don't really have time to cook but I am trying my best to eat as well as I can.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Tavinni, you look like you're on the right track. I'd say, get back into tracking your calories again, rather than slacking. It's pretty easy to go over on amounts and not know it.

Looks like you're pretty low on protein... Try adding a lowfat string cheese with that afternoon fruit. Also, you can have cereal AND an egg, if you like. Or take a hard-boiled egg with you for that morning snack (if you're out during that time).

If that looks like it will take your calories too high, try cutting down on your rice a little. Instead of a whole cup of cooked rice, have 2/3 or 1/2 cup. But I think 1500 cals is fine.

Do you put anything on the bread in your sandwich? For flavor, you could add mustard and even some dill pickles and lettuce. Or try Dijonnaise--it is low cal. but more creamy. Also, how about tuna on some days? That's a really good, lowfat protein if you get the packed-in-water kind.

I'd say, keep on going, make a few adjustments like that, and see what happens next week. Don't be discouraged--you've already lost a good amount of weight!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'd like to chime in...it has only been a week!

Our bodies sometimes slow for a week, or even two, to readjust. It doesn't mean that losing has come to an end...it means our bodies need a moment to settle. Or perhaps it is hormonal...not everyone does the water-weight-gain thing at the same point in their cycle...I put on 3-4 lbs of water 2 days before TOM comes, and it stays until 2 days after and then drops off overnight.

One week is REALLY nothing to panic about! Have you read this thread?

Fluctuations in Weight and Water Weight
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #10  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

I agree with you Mandalinn.Water weight throws me for a loop every single time with the whole TOM issue.... I always have to stop and remind myself that while the scale might not be reflecting it at the moment, I have not, in fact, gained 2 lbs of fat overnight. Even still, it'll make ya crazy!

Keep up the hard work. You're doing a great job, and the scale will show your progress very soon.
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #11  
You can call me Niki

S/C/G: 207/194/130

Height: 5'0

wannabethin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #12  
A loser losing happily

Thanks everyone...I am gonna keep trying and I never really thought of adding more protein to my diet. Lol, funny enough I am not used to people teling me to add more food to my diet, thats a different spin on things, thanks again for all of your encouraging words. I am making this change on my own so its been a tough time.