Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #1  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

Default Strange Hunger Pains

When I get hungry oftentimes I have very strange physical symptoms. I will become so hungry that I have stomach cramps and severe nausea. Sometimes I have diarrhea. This is accompanied by light-headedness and vertigo/dizziness. I usually have to sit down because I feel like I am going to pass out. Sometimes this comes only 1 or 2 hours after eating, when I know I should not be hungry. Other times I will wake up in the middle of the night with this and cannot fall back asleep. The weird thing is that I feel like I can't eat when I am this hungry because my stomach is so upset.

Does anyone know what this is, what causes it, and how to make it stop?
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I'm not going to be much help here... my suggestion is to see your doctor about this. On the other hand - forgive me please if this sounds silly - I would work quite hard at not letting myself get that hungry. Maybe you need to think about planning smaller meals throughout the day, or sensible snacks between meals?

Sorry not to be more help - maybe someone else can advise you better.

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 207.5/204/150

I am so sorry you are experiencing this. The dizziness and
GI distress sound like you need to talk with your doctor. Are you
on any new medication? I've had those two symptoms to
a medication last summer. All the best!
gratefulgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Chris, make an appointment with your doctor. She/he is the only one who can tell you what's wrong.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

I think from some of your other posts that you have some "food issues," yes? I'd say that you need to eat more often, that is, six small meals in a day rather than three big meals and nothing in between. Your symptoms sound to me like hypoglycemia, but I am not a doctor or health professional. It wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to your doctor or other health counselor about this.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #6  
BLACK TEAM

Thank you for the responses. I am going back to the doctor in about 6 weeks and I am definitely going to talk to him about this. I just can't really get in before that and I was looking for some possible "remedies" that might help before got to see the doc.

It is hard for me to eat 6 small meals a day for some different reasons that I shall not get into here. I will try it nonetheless.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by misschris531 View Post
Thank you for the responses. I am going back to the doctor in about 6 weeks and I am definitely going to talk to him about this. I just can't really get in before that and I was looking for some possible "remedies" that might help before got to see the doc.

It is hard for me to eat 6 small meals a day for some different reasons that I shall not get into here. I will try it nonetheless.
As difficult as it may be for you to eat 6 small meals, just think how hard it is for you to continue on with the symptoms you are experiencing. I'm not sure that eating 6 small meals would help you, but it might be worth a shot, no?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

This sometimes happens to my partner, usually when she eats a bigger meal after being on a VERY empty stomach (so, for example, not eating for 6 hours and then eating a slightly-larger-than-average meal). It helps her to eat something small about an hour before her main meal (a granola bar, an apple, whatever) so she doesn't eat a big meal on a previously empty stomach.

Do ask your doctor, though - just to ensure there is no easy fix for the problem you're having.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5'6"

you posted on my thread... I wanted to pm you but I can't until I have 25 posts... so you should add me on aim
rockerinsideafatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Im not a human dr (i'm a vet) but it definately sounds like possible hypoglycemia. When you go to your dr...have them check for diabetes too...just incase...In the mean time...as hard as it might be, eat more frequently...keep granola bars in you purse and snack on them (or fruit etc)...basically eat every 2-3 hrs. good luck and let us know what they find!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

I'm jumping on the hypoglycemia bandwagon too... as well as the talk to a dr. bandwagon for good measure

My only suggestion to try to ease the problem until you can get to a doctor (and if it is hypoglycemia) is to eat a serving of a complex carbohydrate about 1 hr before bedtime. If this helps with your nighttime attack, it may very well be hypoglycemia. I was advised by an endocrinologist that this is the best thing for hypoglycemics who wake up feeling like a train rolled over them due to low blood sugar.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #12  

I am not a doctor, but I am a diabetic. What you describe does sound like low blood sugar. When mine drops, I get shakey, nauseated, and light headed. Quick ways to bring it up include a glass of juice, half a can of non diet soda, a glass of milk. They are absorbed quickly. Just adding a piece of fruit in between meals may help. It might help if you keep a food diary and see if there is a pattern to when you have the attacks. Then when you get in to see the doctor, make sure you take your diary with the foods, time and symptoms you experience. It might really help the diagnosis.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #13  
BLACK TEAM

Thanks for all the responses. I have been eating more frequently for the past two days, and I haven't had any episodes of this intense hunger since. Of course that may not mean anything, but it is encouraging. I have been adding fruit as a snack between meals and I am not getting as hungry as I used to anyways.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

that's good to hear...keep it up. trust me..at work its hard for me to eat every few hrs...but i make sure i try to do it.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #15  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

It does sound like hypoglycemia. You should see your doctor, since hypoglycemia can sometimes be indicative of pre-diabetes. There are also other medical conditions that can induce hypo-g.

I also know what you mean about it being so sudden. It happened more often when I was pregnant/post-partum, but I'd just feel mildly hungry. I remember at one point we were actually walking to the restaurant (about 3 hours after I'd last eaten) and I almost passed out. No fun.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote