Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #16  
Time to get serious

S/C/G: 200/200/140

Height: 5'9"

Jiffypop - brilliant!

As the mother of 4 teenagers, veggies are their biggest enemy. But hide them in a meatloaf, or meatballs (which they love) is genius.

I have made zucchini cookies, kids call them martian cookies, and they love those.

(the only reason my kids even touch the vegetables in the fridge is to feed the lizard)
aksuzyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #17  
it's always something

We recently reviewed two cookbooks that make it easy to sneak veggies into your diet. The books were designed for encouraging your kids to eat healthier foods, but the tips and tricks are perfect for grownups too

http://www.3fatchicks.com/Food/Cookb...t_like_a_kid!/

We also have a whole forum for the Veggie Challenged that hopefully will be of use
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=176
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 180/167.6/130

Height: 5 feet 1 inch

I'm not a big veggie eater, but I found two things that helped. One was to buy fresh vegetables and cook them in Glad's Simply Cooking bags. You just add the veggies, microwave them the recommended amount of time (it's there on the bag) and when you're done, season them. My attitude towards broccoli completey changed when I cooked it this way. Another thing that helped was herbal vinegar. My sister-in-law mixed her own recipe of vinegar and herbs and gave us a bottle. I thought it was the best thing since cheese sauce.
sweet fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #19  
Ready to get serious

Height: 5'3

How about making a low-fat dip for your veggies? Such as fat-free sour cream and onion soup mix or vegetable soup mix?
I suggested this to my sister as she hates veggies also.
Shimmeringsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I am being the "devil's advocate" here. I am a fat lady aspiring to be less fat, just like everyone else on here. I do lots of stupid things, including not getting enough exercise, so please don't take this as any kind of personal criticism...just something to think about.

It seems to me like wanting to lose weight, but refusing to eat veggies, is like someone who wants to be a surgeon only as long as s/he doesn't ever have to see blood. You are sabotaging yourself. Vegetables are part of the healthy life-style that we are always talking about. Ya need to learn to love 'em!

Just say Yes!....to veggies
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #21  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
It seems to me like wanting to lose weight, but refusing to eat veggies, is like someone who wants to be a surgeon only as long as s/he doesn't ever have to see blood. You are sabotaging yourself. Vegetables are part of the healthy life-style that we are always talking about. Ya need to learn to love 'em!
I'll certainly keep trying different veggies prepared different ways (I even tried brussel sprouts at Christmas and saurkraut yesterday for the first time), but it's definitely possible to lose weight even if you hate veggies For some, it's not that we're "refusing" to eat veggies--personally, most veggies literally make me physically gag. More than a few bites would certainly help me to lose weight, but not in a healthy way! I used to be this way with lots of types of meat, too (I never could eat ribs, steak, pork chops, roast beef...I eat almost strictly chicken and turkey products), but I'm finding I can finally tolerate more meats (I'll have a bit of my fiance's steak if he orders one out at dinner, for example, but I still can't order and eat it as my main meal), so I keep trying veggies as well in the hopes that my tastes will change for them, too, but it hasn't happened yet
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote