Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-09-2007, 12:35 AM   #1  
300+ Chick

Cool Need Ideas

Hello..

First, let me say that I really enjoy this site and hearing great success stories and strugglers on winning the weight war. This site is my daily ritual of reading and cheering those who succeeding this battle. My heart and soul goes out to everyone on winning the weight war! Thank you all for sharing your stories and struggles on here. It gives me hope that I am fighting each day with others..

Now, I am a lifetime struggler ever since my teen days. Been to many doctors, nutirtionists on helping me eating right. During the mid 80's, started my first diet with Richard Simmons deal a meal plan..lost over 100 Lbs, but never met goal...Then tried Slim fast plan year later, was successful and had lost over 150 Lbs, and was at my lowest at 265. Then gotten sick, not from slim fast plan, but was obessed about weight and fitness during my weight journey and the weight creeps back on.

Since the year 2000, doing my best on the losing mode again. Was on weight watchers, trying to stick with it for the longest, but gave up..always using points on junk foods.. so I had tried through the years with South Beach, Atkins, Dr. Phil, Xenical, counting calories/fat/fiber..but was not faithful.

I am now am trying my own, without any special plans..and focus on eating 3 meal a day and no snacking..which snacking is my worst problem. I live with my family, I don't cook, or do major grocery shopping, my mother does...so I do make healthy choices , but snacking is hinder my chances. I have junk foods in the house, which my mother hides them. and buys it for one of my sisters who is thin and can eat those things. I always loose control and binge on her foods when is near me. I am the only one in my household have a weight issue.

My question that am seeking.. How can I cope and lose weight when other family members are not in the same path as I do? I don't have outside help or any friends away from the computer to keep me going. I lead to online support message boards for keeping me on track. This is my everyday struggle that am facing and do want to lose weight.

Any ideas would be much grateful.. Thank you for letting me vent..
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi Liliann! I think the first challenge you have is to recognize your triggers. I have a hard time resisting temptations as well and have a deal with my husband that if he really wants something junky, he's going to have to keep it at work because if I lose my motivation and see it, guess where it's going to go?! Right into my belly! Is there any way you could ask your mom to not buy the junk at all? It's not like your sister *need* junk. Just because she can eat it without gaining weight doesn't mean it's good for her! It's called "junk" for a reason!!!

Other than that, I've heard people talk about the Beck Diet Solution. I've not read the book myself, but I believe the focus is on overcoming emotional eating. I don't know if that would be helpful to you.

Regardless of what plan you choose, be that an established "diet" or your own concoction of what works for you, you have to stick with it to make it a lifestyle change. You're making yourself healthy for the rest of your life! Dig down, find your motivators, find your stressors, find your obstacles, and lay it all out.

You can do this!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 269/Look at Ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

I to have a little problem with my household not being on the same track as I am. My boyfriend who sometimes I feel like is trying to sabotage me is always bringing junk food in to the house. For example tonight he had pizza and I had a lean cuisine and green beans and I didnt even think for one minute that I was missing out on having pizza although I know I would have before I started thinking positively.
It is really hard and I can imagine it will be for you to but I just have to keep telling myself that I dont want a few pieces of pizza to get im my way of what I really want for myself, like to feel good about myself and get healthy. I hope that helped a little.
1fatchica02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/125

Height: 4'11

i have the same problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everyone in my house is skinny so all the food they buy is fat. . . . i got a little refidgerater for 20 bucks at a garage sale and i put healthy stuff in there and tooooonnnnnssss of snacks , healthy ones, fruit, yogurt, string cheese, nuts. its working . i just dont let myself eat anything that doesnt come from my fridge. and i told everyone in my house to watch me !!!!
freeqeegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

You are such a genius! Way to put up boundaries!!!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/125

Height: 4'11

thanks! tomandkara! that makes me feel like a genius
freeqeegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

You'll have to shield the "feeders"... you know the ones: "Oh, a little won't hurt" or the "Oh, c'mon, you've gotta live a little".

I feel like I am where I am is because "a little won't hurt" etc. and a little will trigger a lot.

I'm also getting a little offended by those who flaunt that stuff in front of me cuz I doubt that if I were a drug addict or alcoholic, they wouldn't be doing that. I want to be healthy and I deserve the support of others. I find if I'm strong and say "NO" and remind them that I'm making lifestyle changes that don't include those trigger foods, they back off. You may inspire someone to think about their dietary lifestyle as well.

When you feel weak or challenged, remember one of us and that we support you and want you to succeed. You deserve to be healthy and happy!!

And get the junk out of the house. Those who want to eat it can eat it elsewhere because you need to let them know that what you're doing is important and their support is very imortant to you and having those foods in the house. I refuse to spend my money on junk but once a month as a treat for my hubby and since I do the shopping, I get to buy what's healthy!

You can do this: be strong!
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Freequeegirl, that is one of the best ideas I have ever heard! You are a genius! Even brand new a t Wal-Mart those little fridges aren't terribly expensive. You could possibly write a book - "The Little Fridge Diet".

As it happens, I am in charge of the food in my house. But if I weren't, the little fridge idea would help me because I would see taking food that wasn't in my space as using something that didn't belong to me.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #9  
hara hachi bu

Maybe you can join TOPS, which is an inexpensive non-profit weight-loss support group. It's flexible and they meet weekly, which might give you some needed support. For me, being home inside a lot is not good for my weight. I find myself more active and less likely to emotionally eat if I keep myself gone often and very busy when I am at home.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #10  
300+ Chick

Thank you ladies for your kind words and support. When I used to count calories to know how much calories included the binged..which add up to 4000-5000 on day. I tried to be firm and making wise food choices around my family, but like I said, it is an everyday challenge. I had tried on finding an eating disorder therapist to find out why I overeat, but one place that have thearpist in my mental health center don't work with that issue. I rely on self help books, message boards and net friends to keep my mindset of not giving up this battle. Again.. Thank you
Old 07-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

My best advice is not to limit yourself. If you say, 'I will only have three meals a day, no snacks, no treats'.. you're pretty likely to binge, and fail. There is nothing wrong with snacks, in fact - a lot of studies show that five smaller meals a day is better then three big ones. Why don't you make a list of all of your 'binge trigger foods' (cookie dough ice cream, chocolate chip cookies, chips and dip) and then next to each, put a substitute and serving size that you CAN have if you are really wanting something (i.e. 1/2 cup raspberry sorbet, 4 graham cracker squares, 1 cup of fat free/sugar free chocolate fudge pudding w/ light cool whip, veggies w/ salsa to dip, serving of baked chips with dip made from fat free sour cream, etc). There's no reason to deprive yourself. I've tried a lot of "diets" and they all worked for a little while, but then I felt deprived, gave in, and felt worse after - like a failure. Now, I eat proper portions of what I love and count calories. I love sour cream and onion Pringles, and I eat them.. but I eat a serving, 15.. not an entire container. I love ice cream at night, but now I eat the WW'ers Big Cookie Bars (130 calories) or sorbet. 1/2 cup of regular ice cream (serving size) is just not WORTH 200+ calories for me. Think of your calories like money, and spend them wisely. It's much more appealing to have a big bowl of fresh fruit w/ cool whip then it is to have 2 cookies, kwim? I feel like I'm eating ALL DAY, and it's OKAY.. a very strange feeling in itself, but I feel in control.

Anyway.. best of luck to you.
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Lilianne!

That idea of getting a small refrigerator just for your own foods--maybe that would work for you! And then you could stock it with healthy, better snacks for yourself--things that you can have when others are eating that junk.

Are there any medically supervised weight loss programs in your area? I ask because it might be good to have the regular supervision to help you stay on track, and also the help of a nutritionist, dietitian, and M.D.

Also, I'm wondering about your activity level. Anything you can do to increase your activity level--such as exercises with hand weights, walking for short distances even inside the house, and so on would be helpful. Are there any places in your area that offer water exercise classes for overweight/obese people? This is often a great way to get some activity without stress on joints.

A visit to your family doctor for the purpose of getting some help with weight loss might be in order, if only to establish your baseline metabolic rate and thus the minimum you should eat. You may already know this, though. I'm sure this isn't the first time you've heard of such a think.

Please check back in here often! I'm sure you've found the 100 club and the 300+ club. All are great places to exchange information!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #13  

Welcome to 3fc! Weightloss can be so hard when it feels like you are the only one. Most days, I feel that way. When I am around my friends, they don't understand that I can't have a candy bar. They say it's "no big deal". To me, it is. After all my hard work, I really don't want to go over my daily calories. It's hard to resist that temptation, when only a month ago, I would have snatched it up, no second thoughts. But 3fc is a great place for support, sympathy, ideas, and more. Everyone on here can relate in one way or another. So on those tough days, and lord knows we all have them, there is a place FULL of people who know exactly what you're going through. You can do this, especially with everyone here who has your back. We're all rooting for you!
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:33 PM   #14  
300+ Chick

Thank you all of your responses..To the one about having a small fridge..don't have room, Our household using two large fridges already. It stocked up with healthy stuff.. Just the tough part is when my sister is home from work and on the weekends when she have her munchies. I am grateful for the idea and thank you all for the warm welcome and friendly support. This site will become my future online circle friendships and support.. Love ya!