Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default How did I lose almost 3 lbs this week?

I know I've been in here barking about it going too slow. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how almost 3 lbs went this past week.

I haven't changed my diet very much. The only thing I can figure out is that since my boss is out of the country, I'm leaving work around 3PM each day and going home and working out in my back room. It is a glass enclosed room with no temperature control. It is extremely hot! Later this week, he will be back in the office and I will resume my early morning workouts in that room.

I posted a question about exercise and "glowing" in the exercise forum here. However, the answers were a bit inconclusive for me. Oh, horses sweat, men perspire, women glow.

I actually gained a lb when we went camping a week ago. Couldn't figure that one out because I walked no less than 2 miles per day. Where I walked was on a mountain trail (up down etc) as well as a flat surface. I watched what I ate and didn't snack any more than usual and still gained a lb. I lost that one and two of its cousins this past week.

I'm not barking. I'm just perplexed. We'll see what the end of the week brings for me this week.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The body is a strange thing cbmare. It very often confuses me as to why I have a really good loss one week and a so-so loss another if I have done relatively the same thing week to week. All we can do is eat right and exericse - consistiently. The body will do, what the body will do. There's no use trying to figure it out so much, it's next to impossible to do. Weightloss is NOT linear. So even when we're consistient our bodies aren't.

Exercise and eat right - it's a win-win combination.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thanks Robin. At least I'm perplexed with a .

Oh, I really love your pics. What an incredible difference. What did you do with all your skin?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I had weeks where I was completely on plan with diet and exercise and didn't lose any weight. Then, Christmas 2005. I went to visit my mom and had Christmas dinner and pie and snacks on New Year's (including a decadent baked brie with brown sugar) and still lost 2 lbs. The body is a mystery, really.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I ate a lot a few days, thought I'd gain and I lost, strange isn't it? I've read articles lately that say you should change your calories and rotate - to keep the body guessing and keep the metabolism revved up. So eating more calories then less is helpful - and here I thought I was "cheating" big time, and my body apparently went zoom. I too think building muscle has a lot to do with it, they say muscle burns fat even when you aren't working out. So if you really hiked hard one week then maybe the next your metabolism was up and you did normal activities? I don't know. It's strange.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Relax and enjoy it!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
The body is a mystery, really.
I love reading mysteries. Maybe I should quit trying to solve this one.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Not only is weight loss not linear, but it's not like the things we do immediately change our body composition. When you first eat food, the scale will be higher because of the actual weight of the food. Then it needs to be digested (which can take a while), and other chemical processes occur to remove or deposit fat (yeah, I don't know this part well!), and our water levels may rise and fall, due to our exercise or what we ate...

It's another reason it is very hard to tell over a one week period what "caused" a change up or down on the scale. Did it go down because you ate more than usual (unlikely), or because the water you were retaining from the week before finally left your system (more likely).
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I never understand it either, but i love those weeks every now and then when it happens. I just had it happen to me this weekend. I was so happy. First on Saturday it was down one pound, then Sunday i was down 2 more. How excited i was all day sunday. Couldn't stop smiling from ear to ear all day. If it were something i had actually done to cause it...believe me, i'd be doing that every day. But since i have no clue, i just go on from day to day and hope for that one pound gone by end of week!!! Enjoy the success when it comes in spurts like these!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote