Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #1  
ladychild.

S/C/G: ~266|Ticker|150

Height: 5'6-ish.

Red face Are you the driver of this thick pair of legs?

So since I've been overweight most of my adult life - I've always been ashamed of my very thick legs. Even though I was a swimmer for 12+ years in school and in a swim suit everyday and all year and had a very toned, thick body - would I dare spend my dry time on land in shorts, skirts or even capris.

I remember on the school bus, sitting next to my best friend at that time and surprising her with a little ankle bracelet that either said "best" or "friends" engraved in the little, golden charm. Once I gave it to her, we both doubled over, rolled up our fuchsia colored jeans [it was the early 90s] and started to put on our ankle bracelets. Only mine didn't fit. Embarrassed, I tucked it into my sock.

That embarrassed has never gone away. Granted, I've been smaller and much larger versions of myself in the past - but now my legs just shock me. They hardly taper anymore. And I know when I was lighter, they were lighter with me - but will they ever be show-able? Not hidden? And what are these purple "flecks" underneath my skin? Who invited them?!

My mother used to say I was retaining water . . well, this "water" has never proceeded. I'll be the next great lake.

I'm the kind of lady that wears my weight from head to toe, I know it. I used to be a pear and now I'm a peach, I guess. I just don't understand what is going on with my body. I feel so different from everyone else. I would just like to have one summer that I didn't dread. The courage to get back in the pool. The ability to love my thick legs - but I don't . . . yet.

I'm fully committed to my body and I'm going to take it back before its too late. I'm going to work out and run and I guess hope these fat legs don't follow.

If anyone is going through or has gone through this issue - please tell me I can do something about them or at least fib really well! Maybe we should all take a picture or legs and reintroduce them to human contact again - he-he.

Anyway, your words or wisdom - your exercise tips, your experience is so very welcome here [chicken legs, SCRAM! . . jk].

~Annie.

Last edited by Anniemal; 05-11-2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Bah!
Anniemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi. Well when I read the part about the "chicken legs" I started not to respond. I'm constantly told that I have "bird legs and no butt" but that wasn't always the case. Prior to losing wt. I had some pretty hefty legs and butt. But, they were the first thing to go. Seriously, we all have parts of our bodies that we don't like or are ashamed of. Otherwise, we wouldn't be trying to improve them. My biggest area of embarassment was my 47 inch waist. I met my goal last summer and am still trying to trim some fat from my gut.

I was close to your starting weight. My Dr. recommended that I start by walking 20 min's 4 x a week. I eventually increased my walking to 2-3 miles a day 5-6 x a week. I contribute losing the leg fat and butt fat so quickly to all my walking. I am V shaped and I'll never be able to change that fact, but I do feel better now that I'm a smaller V. You too will be much happier with your shape (and your legs) with wt. loss.

I see that you've already lost 20 lbs. Big Congratulations. I wish you the best of success on your wt. loss journey.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:27 AM   #3  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'm afraid I don't have many tips to share at that point, my legs are also the 'thick' kind, although I have seriously no idea if it will ever go away, or if it's just fat that has been stored there for a long, long time and will get lost in the end as well. Morphology can vary so much from one individual to another, it's really hard to tell.

In any case, I know mine slimmed a bit during the year I used to bike to work and school everyday (on work days, I'd go back home for lunch, which made it 80 minutes of biking as a whole). So probably that kind of exericse -- bikin, walking... -- can help a little.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #4  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Someone exactly like me! I carry 70% of my weight in my legs, that's why most people can't believe how much I weigh when I tell them....because I almost always wear pants! When I do wear something that shows my legs I'll only go as short as capris or a skirt that hits below the knees, it's very limiting *sigh*. There was a time when I wouldn't do capris or longer skirts, it was pants every day, even in the summer, and boy did it suck!
I also can't wear any type of ankle jewelry because I've never found anything that I can actually buckle! I know I'll never have those slim little graceful ankles but I know as I lose the weight eventually it will come off my legs too (although that seems to be where I'm losing fat last). Just stick to it, the weight on your legs may not come off first or easily but it will come off and eventually you will be able to show your legs again!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:46 AM   #5  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

once you feel better and brave enough to wear a bathing suit, i highly recommend swimming again. it will tone those legs quickly. kicking sets especially. i swam for the first 30 weeks of my second pregnancy and had a better body then than i do now 3 years later. it really helps.

in the meantime, walking will start the process.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #6  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Lots of parts of us are capable of change, and still, some are not. As you journey on and lose weight, you will need to take care of the self-esteem issue with your legs. Thicks legs? No. How about POWERFUL LEGS. Those legs pushed you through many swim meets and have carried you on in an amazing life, don't give then any less than they are due. Your legs are amazing powerful parts of your body that are gonna help carry you through your weight loss. Give them a round of applause.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote