Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 07:12 PM   #1  

Default Non-Diet Approach Week 11/06/2001

Lose weight without dieting? HOW?!?!

By getting to the root of why you overeat in the first place! "Why Weight," written by Geneen Roth, is a non-diet book that contains exercises designed to help compulsive eaters learn how to stop using food as a substitute for handling difficult emotions or situations. You'll also learn how to enjoy eating and still lose weight naturally. This program offers reassuring guidelines on:

-- kicking the scale-watching habit forever
-- learning to say no
-- discovering other pleasures besides food
-- learning the difference between physical and emotional hunger
-- listening to and trusting your body's hunger and fullness signals

Each week at least one exercise will be posted; participants will be encouraged to share their answers, thoughts, etc. pertaining to the particular exercise. Snippets from Geneen's other books may be posted from time to time as well. She's a great writer and I encourage you to look into her books (and burn all your other "diet" books in the bathtub.

Join us in Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating!
Old 11-05-2001, 07:18 PM   #2  

Exercise 14

Do you Believe in Magic??

What are the things that could happen that would change your entire life and make your weight problems disappear forever?

Example:
1. I would fall in love, lose weight and keep it off.
2. By doing the exercises in this book, I will suddenly understand what my problems are about and never struggle again.

Complete this sentence:

The things that could happen that would change my life forever and make me extraordinarily happy are:
Old 11-05-2001, 07:22 PM   #3  

This one is so fascinating....I can't wait to see what you all say on what would make you happy.

I have already started to censor my list in my head...you know, the frivilous ones from the "deep" ones. I think I want to list them all. At least list what I think will make me happy. I have learned that what I think will make me happy isn't always what does make me happy and happiness is a state of mind but I need to get there where my weight is concerned.
Old 11-06-2001, 03:24 AM   #4  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default Well, this is an interesting one!

I'm going to go with the responses that come to mind immediately.

The things that could happen that would change my life forever and make me extraordinarily happy are:

1. Survey says: lose weight! That was the first thing that came to mind. And to be honest, I KNOW that I am much happier slim, that when I'm overweight (at least when I'm considerably overweight) that it is symptomatic of everything in my life being out of whack and everything comes together at the same time when I am slimmer, because body, mind and spirit are all intertwined. However, I think we have to "find our bliss" NOW! Be happy, and the weight will come off, rather than the other way round!

2. Find the perfect (for me) house and get settled into it. Plant flowers that I will be able to see grow year after year. Work to make it my own, decorate and integrate with it. Make it a vibrant living space with lots of room for lots of visitors. Celebrate!

3. Work on developing the spiritual part of my life -- I know this is a crucial component of real happiness.

4. Develop my career, so that I am doing work that has more meaning for me.

5. Do some volunteer work regularly, so that I feel like I am contributing to the world. I realize this is the last thing I thought of and losing weight the first, but it kind-of makes sense: we have to get ourselves together, have to feel our own needs are being met, before we feel ready to reach out to others.

Well, that was fun and less painful than the last exercise (which I still have more work to do on )

Hope all is well with all of you! Love!

xo
babette
Old 11-06-2001, 11:26 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Default Exercise 14

Just happened to open this interesting thread and would like to participate on this question, though (sorry) I don't believe in magic, I believe in hard work and shaping my own destiny.

However:

1) Peace would be officially declared on earth and a world government formed dedicated to principles of kindness, honor and the pursuit of knowledge and a high degree of civilization.

2) My excess fat cells would be painlessly extracted from my body in a short, safe and inexpensive procedure to ensure that they would never fill up with 100 extra pounds again and I would lose all desire for excess and/or nonfunctional food.

3) My family members (including pets) would receive a cosmic guarantee of long life and happiness so I could quit worrying about them.

4) A perfect newsroom position would just fall into my lap tomorrow and I would have the stamina and youthful optimism to take the job and run with it and work there forever.

5) The stock market would stabilize long enough for me to become extremely rich and buy a large farm (with cash), where I would retire and establish a home for unwanted children and animals or anyone else who needed me. (This dream is at odds with Dream #4, but I will face that problem should it arise).
Old 11-06-2001, 03:52 PM   #6  

Ironically, I started thinking about this yesterday at work: what would I think about if 90% of my thoughts weren't occupied with weight and food??

I did the list Geneen recommends about finding out what purpose your fat serves. I've come to the conclusion that it DOES serve a purpose (several, actually) and I finally understand that we're on the same side, my fat and I.

But I can't think of anything that will make my "weight problems disappear forever" ... I just can't see that far ahead. My fat is here because I don't want to stick up for myself on a consistent basis, because it keeps me from being social (which keeps my marriage happy because I have a very jealous partner - again, I don't stick up for myself - just because I have friends doesn't mean I'm not happy with my relationship or cheat!), my fat keeps me safe from unwanted advances from men that I never felt comfortable with (just have to learn to tell them to shove it!!). So I think that if I learn how to approach and deal with the situations that keep me needing fat, then I won't need the fat anymore and it will go away! I realize this will take a long time, but it's a lot more satisfying and permanent than another dreadful diet.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:03 PM   #7  

1. If I was not tired all the time. I feel I could accomplish alot more and enjoy life if I felt I had more energy instead of merely just surviving.

2. If to me food was only a source of nourishment for my physical body.

3. If I had enough money that I didn't have to worry about never having enough.

4. If I could be me at all times whether that be nice or *****y, assertive or passive whatever I want to be not what someone else thinks I should be.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:53 PM   #8  

Does anyone have any advice on a diet - I know, I know...this is the non-diet approach but I desperatly need a kick start....

I got my work uniforms which we start wearing in January and the jackets are too snug. I REFUSE to have the altered even though I think it is the tailors fault for measuring wrong. Anyway, I want to lose 10+ pounds by January so the jackets aren't snug...any ideas....suggestions?????
Old 11-08-2001, 12:14 AM   #9  
Empress/Queen

Default Lucky Lady Bug ...

I probably shouldn't post on this thread because I'm of the belief that the word "diet" is a source of much confusion and sometimes gets a bad rap. If by "diet" you (or anyone) means a crazy, unbalanced, short-term food plan, then I'd agree the "nondiet" approach is the way to go. But if you mean "diet" as simply a structured, nutritionally balanced food plan for the purpose of losing or controlling weight, then "diet" can be a good thing.

I've lost more than 100 pounds over a number of years and kept most of it off, give or take the ups and downs. I still have a desire to go about 15 pounds lower but the fat cells don't cooperate as they once did.

But in all honesty if you desire to lose weight, IMHO, there is only one basic way to do it ... eat less and move more. That said, some people get good quick results with high protein plans (which IMO are not healthy or safe in most instances, but I'm not a doctor so I couldn't really comment).

But if you are searching for a structured food plan to get you started, there are a lot around that are nutritionally sound. It's amazing that among the media-hyped "diet" plans, there are some really sound (sound IMO) plans in many popular magazines and on the net. I like "The Cheater's Diet" in the current issue of Women's World magazine. It's sensible and nutritious, though IMO too low in calories ... but one could add in another piece of fruit or something to take care of that.

Also the Prevention Millennium Diet is a good nutrition plan. In the past there was a support group for that on 3FC's diet plan section.

Or how about the old WW exchange program or any good old-fashioned exchange plan (such as Nutri-Points) that you could get from a doctor or nutritionist or in a book at the library. Or maybe the mainstream WW with it's fiber-based quick start plan?

On the web there is Cyberdiet.com, Dietwatch.com, eDiets, etc., all of these have tools for creating a preplanned nutritious food plan and for figuring out the correct amount of calories for health and accomplishing your goal.

Also, don't discount the value of just a tiny bit of moderate extra exercise in bringing your weight where you want it. If you walk for exercise 60 minutes most days, maybe add 10 minutes more. That's 70 extra minutes if you walk daily and 280 extra calories a week (approximately). Up the intensity and you lose a bit more.

Fiber and water also help. I've been told (again, no expert here) that for every gram of fiber added to the diet, four extra calories are burned (I've never figured out if that means per hour or just four calories ... no matter, every little EXTRA bit counts when you are trying to jump start your weight loss). Water seems to me (and lots of people) to also aid weight loss for a variety of reasons.

You may not NEED to lose any weight at all. I'd like to see everyone who wants to lose weight check it out with a health professional first. After that consider whether you just need to add a bit of muscle and tone to certain areas that seem to make your clothes tight. That can be taken care of by consistent exercise, including resistance training.

So, sorry, this is a long rambling answer to your question! Good luck whatever you do. Your goal is quite realistic ... a bit over a pound a week.

Onward and downward ...

Last edited by Amarantha2; 11-08-2001 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:08 PM   #10  

Thanks Crone...and yes, I need a structured plan at the moment. I keep going back to counting calories but I HATE measuring. In the past I would go to packaged food so the calorie counting was easier but then I also don't like eating processed food all the time and I think I just excuse myself to death!!!!!!

Since my post I keep thinking that I should count calories and go from there. I will just buy easy to count food items.

Thanks for your post. It helped....
Old 11-10-2001, 02:27 PM   #11  

Just remember the 4th law of the universe: "For every diet there's an equal and opposite binge."
Old 11-10-2001, 11:30 PM   #12  

Hi all!

I had become quite obssessive about weighing myself lately. I would weigh myself first thing every morning and then last thing every night and then every time I went to the bathroom. I found this was self destructive and my moods fluctuated with my weight. This week I decided to put the scale away and take it out only on Saturday for my weekly weigh in. It was hard sometimes but I think it's just a habit and will get easier. Anyways, I was down a pound this week and am quite happy about it.

How is everyone doing? I am looking forward to Tuesday's exercise.
Old 11-11-2001, 01:03 PM   #13  

CONGRATS Sprite..... I have had a hectic week and haven't been here much.

I have been thinking about this weeks exercise however and will post tonight or tomorrow...

babette you had a good idea to do it right away. I always think I need to think on it to REALLY get the best of my thoughts out. Sometimes my spur of the moment thoughts get sort of "flip"....

Later, the weather is wonderful here - yep, even Minnesota gets a break now and again!!!!!
Closed Thread