Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #1  

Default Need Some Love Please...

Ok... Deep breath... I am really getting depressed and upset about my pants getting tighter around the thighs, butt, and belly even though I have ramped up my cardio. I suffered a stress fracture in the beginning of Dec. and have had to cut way back on my workouts. I have finally been able to do the eliptical machine and spin classes. I've been spinning my butt off and it seems as if I am actually gaining weight! The only thing that I can attribute this to is my compulsive evening snacking (which I thought would be off-set by my workouts).

I am so disheartened every morning when I look in my closet at the bigger pants I've had to buy since my 25lb weight gain and now those are getting tight. It sets a horrible tone for the est of the day. I feel fat and unattractive. It's like I ask myself why do I go to the gym, work my a** off and what do I get for it... Tight pants, what the f***!

So tonight when I get home from work I am throwing out my kashi cereal (btw it only has 70cal per 1cup, I thought I was ok to have this but I guess not) and promise myself that if I want a snack after dinner I must go upstairs to my closet, put on a pair of pants that are tight and ask myself if I still want to eat... I'm so sorry to go on but I really need to get this out. Thanks for listening and caring...
yogachick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #2  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Well, Yoga. Yup. I understand perfectly. Not about the workouts. I've got to admit that exercise - working out - auuurrrgh! Well, it isn't something I've managed to incorporate into my life just yet. Right now, some brisk walking for twenty minutes at a time is enough cardio for me. BUT, re: the 25-pound weight gain, the disgust at tight clothes, avoiding looking at my profile (or any other view) in the mirror...well, I've actually gained MORE than 25 pounds. 40. Four-oh. I quit smoking. Yup. And healthy me started eating like there was no tomorrow. Well, tomorrow's here, I can't stand myself, and so I AM DETERMINED to get this weight off. Girl, you KNOW eating snacks after supper is a huge NO-NO! Stop that right now! YOU. CAN. DO. IT. (And you will). Keep reading these posts - you can't help but be inspired! C'mon, now - we're all in this together! You'll be okay. The cereal, btw, is okay - in the AM - probably not so hot at night, not for the way your metabolism is operating right now. Make sure you get enough to eat - get all your calories in during the day, and depending on what sort of diet you're following - high protein, low calorie, low fat - whatever - eat enough so that you're not hungry again after supper. AND, keep checking in with 3FC - it really keeps me motivated and DETERMINED.
Have a great day - and remember, you're not alone, girl!
Ella
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi Yoga, I'm sorry your exercise doesn't appear to be paying off in weight loss. It must still make you feel good and strong though, right?

This is probably stating the obvious, but have you thought about some guilt-free snacking options for the evening? 100 cal bags of popcorn, raw veggies with or without a little lite dip, low-cal ice cream (the Weight-Watchers cookie ones are decent), string cheese, fruit? It may not sound very exciting, but you can pretty much eat all the celery and carrots that you want and it WILL help you to move those pounds. It won't matter to you in the morning that you snacked on carrots rather than cookies the night before, and your waist-line will love you for it.

Also, I don't know how others feel about this, but if I were you I would avoid trying to shame yourself into not snacking. Going upstairs and putting on pants that are too tight is just as likely to result in a binge and a shame spiral. I think it would be much healthier and more effective to carefully plan your evening snacks in advance and to approach your weight loss regime as a reward to yourself for being a good person who deserves to be trim, fit and healthy.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #4  

You are both correct and baffeled- I do agree about the shaming myself not to eat. I guess I am already doing that in the morning when I get dressed- I berate myself for what I ate the night before... I am also taking your advise about the 100 calorie snack. I do like the 100 cal. bag of popcorn. I feel like I just don't have any control in the evening. I did take up knitting as a way to keep my hands busy but even then I am constantly battling the urge to put the needles down and get a snack. I quit smoking over 4yrs ago and I think that this evening snacking habit is more hard for me to stop than it was to quit smoking (for the record- I stayed that the same weight for about 2 1/2 yrs after I quit so this weight gain is not from w/d)...
yogachick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yogachick30, I'm so sorry! I know how frustrating and discouraging that can be.

Sad to say, exercising more does not mean that we can eat more and still lose weight. Hundreds of people have made that mistake, including me. You will be more healthy from the exercise, but it still comes down to calories in vs. calories burned, and exercise just does not burn very many calories, even though it helps metabolism.

I suggest maybe some substitute snacks, since you're used to snacking. The 100 cal popcorn bags baffled111 suggested are good--or even just measuring out certain foods into 100-cal portions for this purpose. E.g., 5 Triscuits. (Just an example.) Or baby-cut carrots--you can eat many of those for 100 cals--more than you probably want!

Good luck! You can make the adjustment!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #6  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Well, if you had the will power to maintain your weight when you quit smoking (I couldn't!) then there's no WAY you can't do this! Frankly, up until recently, I would wait for my husband to go to bed, and then tip-toe past the bedroom door to see if he was actually asleep (snoring) and THEN I would come downstairs and eat whatever nice candy bar or treat I'd brought home in my pocketbook for after supper. SOMETIMES, it would be a whole row of Ritz crackers - or chocolate graham crackers - with peanut butter. Oh. And my sparkling (flavored) water. (That was the so-called *healthy* part of my snacking). So, yeah. I've been on the same path - maybe worse. I wouldn't try on clothes to shame myself because I was already ashamed enough. (I certainly wouldn't do my overeating in front of my husband!) After supper now, I either hop on the computer, or read, or give someone a call on the phone & chat a little bit. When the weather gets better, I'm figuring to use that time after supper to go walking. WE CAN DO THIS, Yoga! We really can. Look at what the other *fat chicks* have done!
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote