Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #31  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Oh yeah ~ I would outlaw cell phone driving way before coffee drinking or food eating ~ I do realize these are all possible distractions that WE should not be doing while driving ~ but I see soooooooooooooooo many people "locked into" their cell phone conversations!

Wow do I agree on that one! At least California is going hands-free soon.
Not to start a further argument or anything, but...

{rant}

I'm more worried about people who drive while talking to their passengers sometimes. I've seen moms driving while reaching back to deal with kids, I've seen people driving while they're practically turned around to talk to their passengers in the right-hand seat or backseat, talking with their hands so they're hardly even *driving*, just keeping their foot on the accelerator.

Also, speaking as someone who is seriously FLAT broke, I'm upset by the new laws in Cali (where I do happen to live) about hands-frees. I don't have one. I can't afford to get one. It's WAY down on my list of indulgences. I also do long commutes between places of residence on a semiregular basis - 2 hours or more depending on traffic. And when the traffic's good, yeah, I'll chat on the phone. It's one of the few uninterrupted times I get to do that. Now I can get ticketed for that? Whatever. Stay out of my car, government.

{/rant}

Sorry if I offended anyone; I just think the government tends to go overboard in telling people what they can and can't do.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #32  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Or

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat View Post
Ya know, Gary.....if ya type with your tongue planted firmly in your cheek so much...it's liable to get stuck like that.

Prolly takes one to know one, huh?
GINA~For some reason I am not making myself clear I guess...I "might" be a bit of a smart a$$ at times ~HOWEVER~ I am being totally serious in the fact that I believe drive thru fast food places are totally fine ~ the point I was trying to make was that IF it wasn't so EASY to get EXTRA food that I MIGHT not eat so much ~ I feel any over eating I do is no ones fault but my own.

As far as smoking goes ~ I smoked 2 packs plus a day from the time I was 16 (14 - 16 I was a "recreational" smoker ) until I was 43 ~ I am now 52 ~ even though I smoked and made mention in my post on the strickness of the rules in California, I am ABSOLUTELY FOR NOT SMOKING ANYWHERE WHERE IT OFFENDS OR POSSIBLY HURTS ANOTHER HUMAN BEING! I believed in the laws and rules even as a SMOKER! I obviously could tell the damage it was doing to me and my friends/family that were/are smokers agreed with me. I was trying to say that when I was "honestly" trying to quit, that it helped that there were so many places I couldn't smoke anyway and that made it easier to quit.

And yes I may (?) type tongue in cheek from time to time ~ but not ALL the time ~ can't you tell by my posts that I am "drinking" my MGD's sometimes? Hard to do when you can't swallow!

Man, you people up north are whacked!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #33  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

I've read that hands-free phones are actually worse in terms of distracting drivers. I'm not sure why, but I'm just throwing it out there... Something to think about.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #34  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

OH REALLLLLLLL~Y NIKAIA ~ WELL (humph) I feel that the reason traffic is so bad is because of cell phone drivers

Yes I believe you SHOULD get a ticket for talking on your cell phone....

just don't tell me I can't leave my dogs in the car for a half hour (in cool weather) while I go grocery shopping....Jan 1...cut out a lot of their "wanna go bye-bye?"!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #35  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresurferchick View Post
I've read that hands-free phones are actually worse in terms of distracting drivers. I'm not sure why, but I'm just throwing it out there... Something to think about.
OK Surfer Chicky (not to be confused with in the HAT chicky) I say let's just get rid of ALL cell phones in cars, lines where I am waiting, airports, churches and anyplace that I may hear one!

unlesss it's my own.............
Old 02-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #36  
back in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
OK Surfer Chicky (not to be confused with in the HAT chicky) I say let's just get rid of ALL cell phones in cars, lines where I am waiting, airports, churches and anyplace that I may hear one!

unlesss it's my own.............
what if we set up a licensing system for them? You have to prove you are polite enough to use one responsibly.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #37  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
what if we set up a licensing system for them? You have to prove you are polite enough to use one responsibly.
SURFERCHICK~ That is the SMARTEST thing I have ever heard!! You can hang out at our beach anytime!
Old 02-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #38  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey EZMONEY, you're a funny one!

I don't mind if you leave your dogs in your car with the windows cracked in January in the NORTH--but you know, down here in Florida people are nuts! They don't realize just how HOT that sun is a lot of the time...

But back on topic for a brief moment... It's every man and woman for themselves out there... and passing laws to outlaw drive-thrus seems just silly to me.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #39  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara D View Post
Would it be harder (due to self-consciousness) to order excess amounts of food if we actually HAD to go into the fast food restaurants?Would we be less likely to go to fast food restaurants at all?

Would things be different if drive-thrus didn't exist?
IMHO, nope.

My hubby goes through drive-thrus all the time. He loves Arby's roast beef. But that's ALL he orders. No fries, no drink, nothing. He goes to Wendy's and order JUST a junior bacon cheeseburger. He weighs 135 pounds and eats about twice a day...small meals. I think if someone is dispositioned to eat large portions they will...whether it be through a drive-thru or at home when they leave the restaurant and they pig out because they still think they're hungry and now no one will see them eating. But if it's not an issue for someone, having drive-thrus available isn't likely to make it an issue for them.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:05 PM   #40  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
I have a Bluetooth and love it. It's not distracting at all. If anything, I may be distracted sounding to the person I'm speaking to because I'm concentrating on the road. But I find that driving takes a backseat (pardon the pun) when trying to fish out a cellphone and open it and hold it to the ear...especially for those driving a stick.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #41  

That is an interesting question - do we go thru drive thrus to avoid people seeing us eat in fast food. I have heard of that with food disorders but mostly I think the original concept was to get food quickly. Unfortunately, I have found fast food to be neither fast nor food.

The only drive thrus I go to are Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks (infrequently due to $$$$ but I do like their pumpkin or vanilla lattes as a treat) due to my very insane coffee addiction. We have a Walgreen's drive thru for prescriptions which is nice (no dragging yourself all sick into the store). I lived in one town that had a drive thru dry cleaners.

I would love to see a drive thru on the supermarket - just for say bread, milk,eggs and maybe cold cuts.

Sue
InLimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #42  
back in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven View Post
I have a Bluetooth and love it. It's not distracting at all. If anything, I may be distracted sounding to the person I'm speaking to because I'm concentrating on the road. But I find that driving takes a backseat (pardon the pun) when trying to fish out a cellphone and open it and hold it to the ear...especially for those driving a stick.
It seems contrary to common sense doesn't it? It was just something I remember reading once.