Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
I looked at the new food pyramid and I'm thinking that it may be something that is easy to follow. It says I should be having 3 cups of milk products per day. I don't care for many milk products. I do like cottage cheese, so maybe some FF cottage cheese with a handful of blueberries on it would be good. That would take some of the fruit requirement down (1.5 C) as well. I do have 1 or 2% on my Kashi cereal in the mornings, but not a cup!

I don't drink coffee.

Maybe I should go back to LF chocolate milk in the AM as well as my cereal. I cut it out because of the cholesterol and calories. I gave up soy milk because of the soy and women's health.

Any suggestions?
I find fromage frais makes a great mayo alternative - for things like tuna and sweetcorn (perhaps in a pitta or on a jacket potato) or chicken or salad - it's milk based so could help towards your daily intake.
slimmernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #17  

great article! I love that bit about not eating anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food lol But than, my great grandmother was a southern dairy farmer!
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:57 PM   #18  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I just read a wonderful article that quoted Nestle:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/ma...gewanted=print

One of the things that the article also mentioned was to eat food rather than the "edible foodlike substances" in the supermarket. Great euphemism for processed food!
One of my pet peeves for years now has been how little food is sold in the supermarket. 90% of what is there are items I don't consider food. Conversely, I'm distressed by how many people, when confronted with a relatively common food item (a turnip, for example) have no idea what it is or what to do with it.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:57 PM   #19  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

yadda yadda, eat what works for you and take viactiv if you dont get enough calcium and vit-d through food
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

Hi What is the concern of women's health and soy milk? I just googled it and everything I came up with was positive not negative.
Thank you
Sharon
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #21  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Truthfully, the soy thing has been blown out of proportion. Soy is a plant estrogen. For awhile they were talking about how great it was based on the health and diet of people in Japan where it is a regular part of their life. So in typical american fashion some people decided that if a little is good, then a lot must be better. So they started making things with concentrated soy isoflavones. And some people started ingesting mega doses

Lo and behold there was a study that found that excessive intake of soy isoflavones was detrimental to health. so in typical alarmist fashion the word went out that if a lot is bad, then a normal amount must be also.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the information. I'll keep drinking my soy protein shakes. I'm sure they are much healthier than having a shake from a fast food restaurant.
Sharon
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #23  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Its all about moderation. No one food should be used to excess.

Oh by the way, the connection was with thyroid function..so I guess if I had documented thyroid disease I might avoid soy just to be hyper vigilant.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #24  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I avoid soy partially because of the thyroid function issue. I still eat soy products but less often than I used to. I now use unsweetened almond milk instead of soy milk and I use whey protein powders instead of soy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #25  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

soy protein powder might be one I would avoid just because it is a super concentrated form of soy.

but I've seen people avoiding edemame - you would have to eat a darn lot of edemame to get an overdose of soy
Old 01-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #26  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Truthfully, the soy thing has been blown out of proportion. Soy is a plant estrogen. For awhile they were talking about how great it was based on the health and diet of people in Japan where it is a regular part of their life. So in typical american fashion some people decided that if a little is good, then a lot must be better. So they started making things with concentrated soy isoflavones. And some people started ingesting mega doses

Lo and behold there was a study that found that excessive intake of soy isoflavones was detrimental to health. so in typical alarmist fashion the word went out that if a lot is bad, then a normal amount must be also.
I'm glad you said this. I think one of my first posts on here was regarding soy. I should go look and refresh my memory on what people said.

I love edamame. I limit soy sauce because of the sodium, but then again, a TLBS while cooking isn't that bad when it is for more than 1 person. I'm not a big tofu fan unless it is in hot and sour soup or disguised some way.

So maybe I WILL go back to my chocolate soy milk in the AM. Well, depending on the price. Sometimes LF or FF chocolate milk is much cheaper.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #27  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Humans are the only mammals that consume milk products after childhood. And it's a different species' milk, no less.
I thought this to be true as well, that we didn't need to supplement our diets with dairy beyond childhood, but someone else pointed out to me that animals (who don't drink milk after childhood) still get their calcium by chewing on the bones of their prey. We don't always do that as humans, so I wonder if there is some validity to adding dairy?
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

What bones do deer chew onto get calcium?

I was just kidding - but there are tons of non-animal sources of calcium like broccoli, spinach, soy, kale, etc.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm#table1
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #29  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

The more protein you ingest the more calcium you need. Can't remember why. Which is why the vegetarian deer dont need to eat bones, but the carnivores do
Old 01-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #30  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I read that Nutritionism article by Pollan (author of "Omnivore's Dilemma") too in the NY Times magazine and found it to be great stuff - much in the vein of Marion Nestle's "Food Politics" and "What to Eat?" (which I recommended on a 3FC thread somewhere) - but the basic idea is that people have been living long and healthfully eating a varied diet uncomplicated by what specific nutrient and food to worry/obsess about, the only real standards needed are eat less (for American standards), eat light, lots of veggies/fruits and less meat/dairy.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote