Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #16  

WW is flat-out bizarre but I do find myself drawn to the cover stories a lot. Aren't all us fat chicks a sucker for the "smiling on the scale/thumbs up" pix, truth be told?

I saw an interview with a lady who used to be a "diet editor," literally she had to find 52 "I MELTED AWAY A GAZILLION POUNDS JUST LIKE MAGIC AND AM LAUGHING AT THESE OLD FAT PANTS!" stories per year. What a weird job.

Then they have somebody else do the "what's for dinner" section where half the recipes start with "melt half a stick of butter or margarine..." Def disconnect between the diet editor and food editor on that publication!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #17  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I think Woman's World is working toward featuring more healthy plans on the covers. In recent weeks, I've seen South Beach, a plan based on low calorie fast food items, and something LA Weight Loss related. At the end of October, I'm going to be on the cover talking about my losses using 3FC, whole foods, exercise, calorie counting, and a little bit of volumetrics (that is, unless they twist me into the "Eat Dessert and Lose!" diet...always a possibility).

I think Woman's World got duped like everyone else...unfortunate, but not necessarily negligent.

1. There were two individuals that Woman's World MET and photographed (Christin and Deni) that said they followed the ******* plan, lost weight, and kept it off.

2. There was also one (fake) individual saying that they had lost 198 lbs in 11 months. They did not meet/photograph her, but she wasn't the cover (Christin was) so this is somewhat understandable.

3. The faker was a scam artist and, likely, a sociopath who is excellent at convincing people with lies and half-truths. In a phone interview, I find it easy to understand how the Woman's World editor would be dragged in.

4. The plan presented to Woman's World wasn't exactly "the plan behind the plan" - ie, the advice and recommendations being passed around on the ******* website to push fat and calories very low, skip water in favor of diet coke, water/diet coke fast for long periods, use laxatives, etc. Its sort of like all of the ******* defenders on the website who say "Well, I showed my doctor the food list and he gave me the go-ahead". There is a big difference between saying "I eat mostly lean proteins and lots of veggies" and "I eat 500 calories or less a day of egg white and chicken breast, with a cup or less of vegetables, and use laxatives and/or skip days of eating in favor of diet coke". Woman's World was given the first...no calorie limit, lots of lean protein, lots of veggies, and "as much fat as it takes to make the menu work", which is NOT what was being suggested behind the scenes at ******* (low amounts of food from all categories, little to no fat). Just like the doctors telling their patients that there is nothing wrong with the types of food they are eating, WW saw a plan that was healthy on the surface, in combination with multiple success stories that they met and photographed in person, and published the information.

I think they got duped, just like the docs that women are taking the plan to for approval and the women who believed the story was true. Sad, yes, and they should print a retraction (and the issue is with their legal department, currently, I think), but I don't think they were being negligent.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #18  
Moderating Mama

As an aside, to everyone who has felt like they made tremendous progress, put on an old pair of pants, and been discouraged that they can't get two feet of gap in between the pants and their body, or fit both legs into one pant leg...most of those magazine cover stories do NOT use your pants. They use all-purpose "I used to be fat and now I'm not" pants.

Just FYI
Old 10-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #19  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I've actually been following this really closely for about 2 months and watching it unfold. From the Survalance photos to the fake pictures (snagged from mailorder russian bride sites EVEN TWO of those of the founders "after" pictures published in WW!

It seems like they are trying to sanitize the website so they can scrape by without getting shut down now. They recently announced a 800 calorie minimum which flies in the face of nearly all the advice they have been giving in the past. While I'm happy to see a minimum thrown out there it's still way too low, and alittle too late if you ask me.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #20  

Yeah I would love to meet the Dr. who would green-light the "SNATT" goal. Hey doc! Yay! I feel SEMI NAUSEOUS ALL THE TIME!

Sheesh! I'm fat but I'm not totally OUT OF MY MIND!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:36 AM   #21  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
At the end of October, I'm going to be on the cover talking about my losses using 3FC, whole foods, exercise, calorie counting, and a little bit of volumetrics (that is, unless they twist me into the "Eat Dessert and Lose!" diet...always a possibility).
That's incredibly cool! Congratulations! I buy WW once or twice a year as a "guilty pleasure," but I'll add a third purchase when I see you on the cover!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:23 AM   #22  
Empress/Queen

I will also look for you on the WW cover, Mandalinn82!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #23  
jeanne

Height: 5'4"

I will also be watching for you!!!!! Yay!!!!
jar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #24  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I'll be watching as well.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #25  
Moderating Mama

Hi everyone - supposedly it hits stands today or tomorrow, depending what part of the country you are in. Subscribers already received it in the mail.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #26  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

How did you end up on the cover?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #27  
Moderating Mama

The WW folks contacted me through 3FC, and I responded. They have a different cover weight loss story in every issue.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 PM   #28  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
The WW folks contacted me through 3FC, and I responded. They have a different cover weight loss story in every issue.
Walking to the store right now! I will see if I can find your cover!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I looked yesterday, the "Oprah diet" cover is still on the stands in my area!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #30  
Meg

I bought Amanda's issue this morning!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote