Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 09:32 PM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Question what to do with Kale

I accidentally bought a large bunch of kale and haven't a clue what to do with it! I meant to buy swiss chard and aparently they are right next to each other in the store and look about the same. At least, they did to me. Anyway, anyone have any suggestions what to do with it? I'm going to substitute it in my dish and hope it works, but I still have a ton of it left...

Thanks gals!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:42 AM   #2  

kale is great served this way-

over chopped (raw) kale put (to taste):
bragg's liquid aminos or nama shoyu (or reg soy sauce would do the trick)
black sesame seeds (toasted regular ones are good too)
dulce (seaweed)

it's a great side salad at a bbq
Old 09-21-2005, 03:19 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

There's a great Portuguese Soup called Caldo Verde which uses lots of shredded kale. I shred mine in the food processor and freeze it for winter. I think most recipes call for sausage but it's just fine without it. An excellent veggie. I'll see if I can find my recipe.
Here ya go!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:20 PM   #4  

I chop it in the food processor and add it to soups (just before serving), veggie chili (also just before serving), and even smoothies. It is also delicious if you wash it, stem it, chop it coursely, and saute it in a bit of olive oil with onions and garlic. Just before serving, sprinkle it with balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. It is my favorite vegetable!
Old 09-30-2005, 07:09 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

punkrockgrryl, does that taste like seaweed salad from a sushi bar? I love seaweed salad! Mmmmm. It is pretty rich though - I guess that is the best word - and I bet kale would stretch it out nicely.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #6  

jennifer-
i LOVE seaweed salad. dulse just tastes vaguely ocean-y to me. the kind i have is dried/flakey and good to sprinkle on salads, soups, smoothies, etc. i give some to my dog once a week or so as a dietary supplement. it's loaded with all kinds of vitamins and minerals, etc. this link has some nutritional info:

http://www.grandmanannb.com/dulse.htm
Old 11-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #7  
hara hachi bu

I made this soup once, and it was delicious!

http://www.eeecooks.com/recipes/2002...kale_soup.html
Old 11-02-2005, 11:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you eat dairy, you might try this. I don't really measure, so it's hard to give a recipe, but I brown a little tvp or sausage flavored crumbles with a large onion, chopped in a little butter, add a couple cups of veggie broth and add chopped potatoes. When the potatoes are tender, I add the kale. When the kale is soft, I add about a cup of skim milk (the original recipe called for bacon and whipping cream).

This is my veggie version of a recipe modeled after the Olive Garden's Suppa Toscana.

Colleen
Closed Thread