Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #1  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Question What made you go Vegetarian/Vegan?

Good morning all!

As I slowly wean myself back off meat for the 2nd time, I'm curious as to why you all gave up meat, unless you are one of the very rare people that was raised vegetarian. So in my search for knowledge, I have a few questions:

What drove you to go vegetarian? or vegan?
At what age did you do it?
How many years did it last? If you stopped, why?
Do you ever miss meat?
Has your health improved (or worsened) since you changed?
Have you lost or gained weight?
How does your family react?

And lastly
What is your top ultimate FAVORITE vegetarian/vegan food?

My own answers:

My cholesterol was 269 at age 26. I went vegetarian as a result 1997-2001, thinking eating no red meat/chicken/pork/lamb/etc. would help. I did rarely eat seafood though, so I was not a pure vegetarian. I did also eat eggs and dairy (yogurt, butter, cheese) though I switched to soy milk instead of regular milk.

Age 26-30.

5 years. I gradually started to eat meat again, beginning at family holiday dinners to accomodate the cooks. Mostly I had been supported, especially by my parents, but my aunt never stopped needling me about it.

Do you ever miss meat?
Not really, but I loved the smell of a steak cooking on a grill. Once I started eating meat again, I was really grossed out until I got used to what it was again. Or should I say, once I made myself ignore what it really is! And you know, it's struck me before how odd it is that we have these nicknames for meat rather than the animal it IS. Like "beef", "steak", "hamburger", "bacon", "pork", "roast", rather than cow, pig, lamb. I guess it allows more detail, but I don't think I'll hear "would you like a ground-up cow patty?" when I'm at a BBQ.

I gradually lost weight (56 pounds, since regained), but I was doing WW from 1999-2001 also. I give credit to WW more than my vegetarianism for my weight loss. It's easy to still be fat and not eat meat. Especially if you are like me and love cheese! Only by cutting way back on fat and my beloved cheese, did I lower my weight and cholesterol. I did feel "cleaner" on a veg diet... my digestion was smoother, my body smelled better (heh!) and my skin was clearer. Plus I didn't have to prepare meat in the kitchen, which still grosses me out. It feels wrong to me to have to be paranoid about bacteria on cutting boards or the exact temperature of my freezer to make sure I don't get sick from eating meat. I start to think, why bother?

My family was mostly very accomodating, except for my aunt making comments about the "meat fumes" must be "bothering" me as the plate of Easter Lamb sat on the table.

And lastly

Toss-up between sweet potato "french fries" baked in the oven, and veggie pizza with artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, black olives, mmmm.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:17 PM   #2  

Default my (formerly) veggie self

great topic!

i was 16 when i decided to become a vegetatian and i think i did it for a variety of reasons-- living in nebraska at the time, it was a good way to mark myself as different from the majority of people around me (rebel rebel) and at the time i also saw it as a way for my little 16 year old self to be socially responsible and let's face it, i saw myself as a little alternative chicky and vegetarianism was very chic in the culture i was looking up to- at the time i was really into 60's culture and had 'discovered' the beatles and worshipped paul mccartney. paul and his late wife linda were hugely known for being veggie and promoting veggie issues so that was really the clincher for me-- also, this was probably the catalyst- i remember seeing a video about a slaughterhouse in social studies (?) that made me cry.

16 - 22 (no beef, pork, chicken/turkey etc, though i did eat seafood and dairy)

when i was 18 or 19 i started dating someone who ate meat but became veggie after we moved in together (a few years later). we endured many holiday 'interogations' about our eating habits, though our immediate families were cool/supportive whatever and it didn't usually come up other than at extended family gatherings. however- we were usually regaled to making a meal up of side dishes (we both ate dairy so no prob there)- although my mom- who is an awesome sport- let me make jamaican beans and rice for christmas dinner one year (they were horrible!) anyway, i guess i was about 22 (am 28 now) and as i was surveying the table at his folk's thanksgiving gathering i thought the turkey looked pretty tasty- and wrestled with myself about it for a second and then thought that since i was the one who imposed the diatary restriction on myself on the first place, if i thought the turkey looked good and i wanted a taste of it then it was silly not to have any. we both ate turkey that day. it was good- though at that point he went back to eating meat regularly while i didn't. i then went through a phase when i'd eat chicken or turkey if i felt like it but no beef or pork. i'm now mostly a home vegetarian i guess you could say (though i don't really consider myself a vegetarian at all anymore)- i don't cook with meat (in fact, i've only cooked meat one or two times-- and i cook all the time-- and i was so freaked out about bacteria and cross contamination) and rarely eat beef and never pork ( i wonder if it subconsciously has something to do with the video i watched-- it was footage of pigs being slaughtered) generally the veggie whatever at any given restarant is what i end up with anyway- but if, for whatever inexplicable reason i'm craving something meaty i usually have it.

Do you ever miss meat?
i was never a big meat eater anyway, i eat it if i'm in the mood now, though generally am not

i never noticed a change in my overall health and never had any experience where i ate meat after a long time of eating mostly or only veggie and then felt sick, etc.

interestingly- i lost about 30 pounds when i stopped being a full-time veggie. i've gained some back- but i was at my heaviest point (196!) as a veggie

My family still doesn't know how to cook for me when we get together on holidays since i'm just as likely to turn down meat as i am to have it. they were never real ruffled by it in the first place-- i think they saw it as an extended 'damn hippie' phase

And lastly
this is a hard one- i do have to say that i'm glad i was a strict veggie for a few years- it made me become a more creative and flexable cook- i'm into a lot of dishes that i probably would have never tried otherwise. but my favorite veggie dish has got to be either a big falafel sandwich (with tons of hot sauce, tomatos, taziki, and pickles) with a side of hummus or my dinner-in-a-rush staple-- old school kraft mac n' cheese with a handfull of frozen veggies and cut up fake chick nuggets tossed in. (not very exotic i know. but still... mmm...)
(((sorry for all the parenthesis)))
Old 01-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #3  
Recovering chocoholic

What drove you to go vegetarian? or vegan? Battery hens
At what age did you do it? 17-19 then 22- (I'm just turning 25 now)
How many years did it last? See above If you stopped, why? The first time it was because my friends fed me sausages when I was drunk lol. Also health reasons
Do you ever miss meat? only bacon why is there no good veggie bacon substitute
Has your health improved (or worsened) since you changed? The first time it worsened but that wasn't the veggieness it was my lack of a decent balanced diet it was easier to cook meat.
Have you lost or gained weight? Gained 2 stone then lost 3 this time.
My mum hated me being veggie because she worries about me not eating a balanced diet. Now she knows I'm a health freak she doesn't moan so much.

And lastly
Quorn sausages, Cauliflower cheese, tomato salsa, marmite (Not together obviously)
Old 01-26-2005, 12:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 312/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

What drove you to go vegetarian?
I never liked alot of meat to begin with mainly chicken and ground beef. My husband and I bought a pig and had to go to the farm to help kill it, not me but him. Seeing the animal running around then hanging up dripping in blood yuck!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't eaten meat since, not even seafood, none. But I do eat and drink dairy.
I was 27. I'm 29 now
Do you ever miss meat?
never.
I haven't noticed my health going either way.
I hoped I'd lose weight but didnt lose or gain.
My family is suportive especially my mother. But my in- laws are not! At holidays there is always comments about how unhealthy it is or about I dont know what I'm missing.
Tomato basil soup, brocoli and cheese,
Kelly
Old 01-26-2005, 09:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW=145/CW=132/GW=125

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone. I saw this post and wanted to put my 2 cents in. I've been vegetarian 3 1/2 yrs now. I had some neighbors who lived across the street and 2 houses down who bought a pig as a baby. Then it got bigger. I don't live in the country and didn't know it was illegal to have farm animals in the city limits,otherwise I would have called animal control. Anyway,one afternoon they decided to bbq it. I guess they didn't know how to kill it but the blood and the squealing was unbelievable!! I still cry when I think of it. So i guess I'm veg for humane reasons. I do eat dairy,just not meat or poultry.
My husband is a meat eater,tho. He supports me,tho. His sister on the other hand will lie and say something Has no meat in it. I don't trust her anyway so it's not as tho believe much of anything she says.
I have lost 12 lbs since leaving meat. But I can't say that's why or not. I haven't noticed a health difference but I was healthy to begin with.
My favorite dish is probably whole wheat pasta with a bunch of veggies in it and a little olive oil. Simple but good.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:41 PM   #6  

I became a vegetarian because I am an animal lover and I don't want to eat animals. I do not preach my practice (although if you ask me I'll be happy to share why I'm a vegetarian) and I don't judge people who eat meat. Some people can eat meat but I can't. The thought of chewing something that was once living grosses me out.

I've been a vegetarian since I was 11.

Do you ever miss meat?

No. However, I will admit bacon smells damn good.

It's hard to say since I've been a vegetarian since such a young age. I have had doctor's tell me not eating meat is heathy and contributed to my good health.

Again, it's been so long that I couldn't say.

My mother is also a vegtarian. The rest of my family all eat meat. Family get togethers are tough because my family always seems so put out to find me something to eat. No one gets that it's no biggie. I can find something at any dinner table to eat.

And lastly

Hard to say since I guess anything that isn't meat is a vegetarian food. If I were to pick something that tends to be targeted to the vegetarian consumer I'd say tofu. A restaurant near my house makes a great eggless ranchero which has tortillas, corn, tomatoes, rice & beans, tofu and soy cheese. Yummy!
Old 05-30-2005, 11:19 PM   #7  

What drove you to go vegetarian? or vegan? I never liked meat and liked it less when i was old enough to get where it came from
At what age did you do it? 10
How many years did it last? If you stopped, why? 8 years, but at the advising of my endocronologist I have incoorporated some chicken and seafood into my diet
Do you ever miss meat? no. well, seasame chicken
Has your health improved (or worsened) since you changed? Well, i wasn't diabetic when I became a vegetarian, but that would have happened anyway.
Have you lost or gained weight? i've gained...i was 10
How does your family react? They did fine once they got that I was serious about it and it wasn't just a way to be obnoxious

And lastly
What is your top ultimate FAVORITE vegetarian/vegan food? Steamed asparagus with lemon or broccoli, or eggplant parmesan (with regular or soy cheese).
Old 05-31-2005, 07:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

What drove you to go vegetarian? or vegan? Heard a gross story about M-I-L's colon cleanse
At what age did you do it? 30
How many years did it last? 1 year If you stopped, why? Gained too much weight
Do you ever miss meat? At first yes, but then I found alternatives that were fine.
Has your health improved (or worsened) since you changed? Gained weight on a vegan diet cause I didn't eat leafy veggies, just beans, potatoes, rice, etc.
Have you lost or gained weight? Gained.
How does your family react? They were very supportive. I was the cook

And lastly
What is your top ultimate FAVORITE vegetarian/vegan food? Morningstar black bean patty

Tiki.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #9  
Long-necked Leaf Eater

A combination of factors - not the least of which are health related. Which has recently been strengthened by reading The China Study.

Which time? I've started, stopped, started, stopped and started again. All within the last 3 years. So I'll say around 33.

The first time was just a couple of months. The second time was for more than a year. And this time I am working on making it a life-long change in lifestyle.

The first two times I did it for weight loss and health alone. This time my reasons also include ethical considerations.

Why did I stop? Because I was the only vegitarian in my family and it just got hard cooking vegitarian and then a side dish of meat for my hubby ... so I caved to "peer pressure" and laziness.

Do you ever miss meat?

I thought I did. So I ate some. And it made me wicked sick. I don't miss it any more.

Now I'm trying to give up eggs and dairy ... that's proving to be harder.

My health improved each time I went veg and got worse the both times that I switched back to an omni diet.

I lost weight the first two times I went veg and gained it back when I went back to my omni diet.

This time the family has gone veg with me. After reading The China Study and doing some research on animal welfare ... they've decided to join me in being meatless.

And lastly

Grilled veggies! Nothing tastes as good as corn on the cob steamed in the husk on a grill. Or grilled asparagus, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, carrots ... or veggie kabobs!
Old 06-06-2005, 01:17 AM   #10  

I was raised that way. My parents followed the Grateful Dead so I was raised a little differently than most.

n/a

unsure if weight was due to vegetarianiasm

My family understands eventhough I am the only vegetarian left in the family. Standing strong! ha ha

unsure..I don't like the fake meat products. I know that doesn't answer the question.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #11  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

I learned that it takes fewer resources to feed people with plants than with animals -- eating lower on the food chain! I guess that is a conservation/environmental reason. Also, certain factory farming conditions are cruel.

I forget! Maybe 24. I'm 27 now.

Haven't stopped. Although I vary as to how many animal by-products I'll eat. Sometimes I eat dairy and eggs, sometimes not.

Do you ever miss meat?

Rarely.

Improved.

Lost, but mainly due to decreasing amount of food consumed rather than type.

Only minor annoyances, like my mother occasionally saying something misinformed about vegetarianism. One thing is different, DH and I go out to eat a lot b/c he wants to eat meat and doesn't see the point in "cooking two entrees." I tell him I don't mind if he cooks meat at home... he can fry up a burger in addition to whatever else we make. But he rarely does, he just prefers to go to a restaurant.

And lastly
Pepsi
Old 06-14-2005, 02:07 PM   #12  
Haley

My parents were vegetarian when I was born, so that's how I was raised. I've tried meat a few times, but get sick every time I tried it and really did not like it. So, I've been a vegetarian for all of my 19 years.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:35 AM   #13  

One day my deep thinking led me to realize that an animal is an animal and all animals are equal, so If I think it's cruel and sick to eat things like monkeys and dogs - how can I justify eating pigs, cows, and chickens? I CANT! So I dont. I also find it somewhat barbaric. If we were cavemen it would be a different story, but in a society with so many other options - animals are going to be the LAST thing on my plate.

7 years and going, I haven't stopped yet.

Do you ever miss meat?

Only "Popeyes" chicken for some reason. I guess because no veggie subsitute is that good yet! However, not being able to eat it is also good for my waistline.

I've always been healthy, but I have steadily gained weight over the years. I don't think it has anything to do with being vegetarian or not though -- I have a desk job and sit at school at night - so I never get exercise (since being 16.)

Generally gained; unless specifically watching my calories.

When I was 15 they just thought it was another "phase" so they didn't take me seriously, but after a few weeks and then months, they really started to believe me and when my mom cooks something that normally has meat, she will make me my own small dish with no meat (or a veg. subsitute.) I really respect my parents for supporting me instead of torturing me, especially since my dad is a hunter! Well, he used to be. Ironically, he's also a great vegetable gardener.

And lastly
Eggplant Parmigiana or a Veggie pizza. (And I wonder why I'm overweight!?)
Old 06-27-2005, 02:22 PM   #14  

Thumbs up

Peta's meet your meat video. That did it, I will never be able to get the images out of my head. Meat always grossed me out anyway, nothing like biting into a chunk of grissle or bone.

Been a veggie for 3 years.

How many years did it last? If you stopped, why? Do you ever miss meat?

Still a veggie, I've slipped a few times

My health has improved dramatically, not all due to being a veggie. Mostly because I've dropped 70 lbs and changed my eating habits. I have asthma and I can't believe how much better it has gotten.

I lost 20 lbs just being veggie and lost the other 50 lbs on weight watchers. I've pretty easily maintained the weight loss and not had to count the points, but I have to make sure to exercise EVERY day. I don't like to think of it as dieting, but a lifestyle change.

They are all supportive of me. DH likes to pick on me about it, in a loving way of course.

Probably veggie tacos, I have many favorite foods, too many to list.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:34 AM   #15  

I've always had issues with eating meat and other animal products, but I never really did anything about it until last year when I started doing research on veganism and saw PETA's "Meat Your Meet" - that was the end of it for me. I had to become vegan, it was the only choice for me.
I was 18 when I decided to become vegan, but I was 19 when I actually made the full change.
The 12th of this month will be 6 months i've been vegan.
Do you ever miss meat?
Not at all.
I'd like to think it's improved, but I don't have any medical evidence to back that up.
Gained weight. Only because I have been eating WAY too much junk food!
Most of my family, even if they don't understand it, they support it.
And lastly
Vegetarian refried beans and tortilla chips - such a simple combo, but i'm addicted! haha
Closed Thread