Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:35 AM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Question Vegetarian summer?

I am not a total vegetarian but I am trying to incorporate more alternatives to meat into my diet. I really like to buy organic products too.

Does anyone have any suggestions on food for BBQs, picnics, potlucks and other events where it will be mostly meat eaters there and you may have few choices unless you bring your own?

I saw tofu hotdogs in the store the other day but wasn't sure about buying a whole pack in case I didn't like them. Anyone tried these?

Thanks,
Mauvaisroux
Old 06-14-2004, 08:19 PM   #2  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

nope, but have become addicted to veggie burgers. esp the pizza basil ones. yummy. let me know how the hot dogs work out. maybe it would work for the kids?
Old 06-15-2004, 11:16 AM   #3  

what kind (brand) of veggie burgers do you get? I have been thinking about these for a while too. I tried some of the Loblaws President's Choice one's but there were really dry and had an odd flavour.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:25 PM   #4  
heyboygetasweaterrightnow

boca burgers are gooood, especially grilled.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:52 PM   #5  

thanks modestmouse I was looking for something I could grill at a BBQ and I will give those a try.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:32 PM   #6  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestmouse
boca burgers are gooood, especially grilled.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:13 PM   #7  
heyboygetasweaterrightnow

some of the different flavors have cheese and things made into them, though, so you may want to choose good ole "vegan original".
Old 06-16-2004, 02:15 AM   #8  

Have you tried Halloumi cheese on kebabs with veggies? Had them at a bbq at my boss's place last Summer and will no doubt again this time! Cubes of the cheese thredded on a kebab stick along with pieces of other veg. For those who don't know - Halloumi is a Greek cheese and is delicious grilled or BBQ'd. Some veggies are also nice BBQ'd - courgettes etc.

Vegetarians only problem will be that they might only have one BBQ and will put your stuff along with the meat eaters. A case of grin and bear it. Some meat eaters don't quite "get" it.

Other than that any veggie burger, Banger (sausage) etc will do but make sure these look less like the meat ones or someone may take yours!
Old 06-16-2004, 02:29 AM   #9  

Other stuff - well my friend and I did some tapas stuff for our book club. Spanish Omelette (tortilla- not to be confused with
the mexican tortilla) - eggs, onions peppers etc, we dish a spicy bean dish and some garlicky spinach oh! and of course patatas bravas (wild potatoes) do a google on these and see what you come up with. Of course you could always go mexican with mexican tortillas, beans rice, sweetcorn, salsa etc

Have fun!
Old 06-21-2004, 07:03 AM   #10  

That sounds good - thanks!
Old 06-23-2004, 10:24 AM   #11  
WW Moderator

Garden Burgers are my absolute favorite. The portobello mushroom was the flavor I used to buy so much of. Oh, and they had a Greek one also. I can never find them around here any more. They were based on brown rice and had veggies you could SEE in them. Oh dear, I'm hungry thinking about them. Now I usually buy Morningstar Farms. I like them alone, with a plop of sour cream on the top, or with a little melted cheese and mustard.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:33 AM   #12  
it's always something

I used to LOVE the Gardenburger Fire Roasted Vegetable burgers, but I believe they've been discontinued. I tried Boca burgers and thought I'd gag. One bite, and the rest went into the bin. All of the versions that try to mimic real hamburgers seem to taste weird or have a bad texture. I just stick to the ones that are veggie patties and not burger substitutes. I love the pizza basil ones that Heather mentioned, too.

I've never tried a tofu dog. I suspect it would be an acquired taste.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:34 AM   #13  
Running Babe

Mauvais: I find the best meatless burgers are the ones from M&M meat shops.. They have a decent amount of protien and are 3 points a burger... Boca burgers are okay too (they're only 1 point each, but smaller than the m&m ones). I tried the Yves hot dogs and didn't like them. I find it very hard to be a flexitarian (someone who likes vegetariaan food but still eats meat), but do try for lunches and such (I don't think I can convince my spouse for veggie dinners)!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:56 AM   #14  

Thanks everyone! I will check into what is available in my local grocery store.
Closed Thread