Old 10-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/222/150

Height: 5'8"

Default I really want to become a vegan... should I wait?

I have been interested in veganism for several years, but have never really taken the plunge. I do generally try and avoid animal products, but have yet to cut them out of my diet forever.

I plan on becoming a vegan no matter what- but here is my dilema. Should I wait until I reach my goal, so that I won't have to try and lose weight AND adjust to a completely new eating habit... Or should I just take the plunge now?

I am currently doing weight watchers and have been having great success on that- about 5lbs a week of weight loss average. (I'm even using my weekly splurge points!) I guess I'm worried that if I become Vegan It will be harder to strictly moniter my calorie intake and not splurge.... I dunno if this makes any sense, but I don't know what to do!
AbstractSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hi,

I moved your post to the vegetarian section I'm vegan. I changed in the midst of my weight loss. I am happy I did. You can continue to do WW and be vegan.

Also, there is nothing that says you have to be vegan instantaneously. You can start removing animal products from your diet and increasing your plant based foods. Throughout my entire weight loss, I didn't eat much dairy at all and I didn't eat eggs very often so it wasn't difficult to cut those out. With meat, I started to increase my meatless meals and reduce my meat intake. One day, I just said "ok no more animal products" and that was that but it was already after I had reduced the amount of meat I was eating.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #3  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm in the same boat as nelie, switched to vegan during weight and I will never look back.
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #4  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

maybe being vegan would make it easier? even lean meat can have alot of cals. compared to say, beans or lentils.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/150

Height: 5'10

It was really hard, because I chose to give up meat completely when I started my diet. So I was giving up chocolate AND chicken. But I've lost weight pretty quickly, and I attribute that to the lack of meat and the surplus of willpower?! Haha, I kind of think it's a good idea, if you have the willpower to be able to not eat things with dairy as well as not eat the other things without dairy that are no good for you!
sweetsmmr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 140/123/118

Height: 5'4

Hi Abstract,

I hover between vegan and veggie, I found that when I cut out animal products it was actually helpful to losing weight, lots more plants and less indulgent cheese

also, look at lea michele from Glee, she said her weight loss was from going vegan, although she went a little too skinny imo.

Hannah
x
HannahC is offline   Reply With Quote