Old 09-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #1  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Question New to Tofu... Had an "issue"

I bought some tofu the other day to start experimenting. (Only had tofu once before) Both Saturday and Sunday, I made Tofu Scramble for dinner. I used two servings of tofu and added a splash of soy sauce, lots of spinach, green peppers, onion, tomato, fat free feta cheese. (It was soo good on Saturday, that I made it again on Sunday!)

But - and this is TOTAL TMI - I had diarrehea both nights before bed. Pretty bad, too. Could the two be related? I had two servings each evening. I cooked it thoroughly (b/c I did read that Tofu packed in water needs to be cooked thoroughly). I went to a fair on Saturday and didn't eat ANY fair food (NSV!). I have been pretty restrictive the last few days (1200 - 1400 calories), but the biggest change I have made is I have just cut out all the "junk" food. I am eaitng whole grains, veggies, fruit, nuts. I know my "issue" is from something I have done/eaten, but I am not sure what. (meaing, I know it isn't a stomach bug or anything)

Does anyone have any ideas? I know this can happen from a quick increase in fiber - which I haven't done. And too much protein - but I am sticking to the same ranges I have been eating.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #2  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

Hmmm that is interesting - I can't say I have ever had any problems with Tofu. Perhaps it was one of the ingredients you used with it?? Did you make sure all ingredients (inc. the tofu) were before their expiry date??
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenA View Post
Hmmm that is interesting - I can't say I have ever had any problems with Tofu. Perhaps it was one of the ingredients you used with it?? Did you make sure all ingredients (inc. the tofu) were before their expiry date??
I am glad to hear you haven't had any problems! I really liked it and would like to incorporate it in my diet. Though... now I have no idea what my prob. is. Lol! I am not aware of any ingredients being past their date... but I did just discover my Cottage Cheese was fuzzy this morning even though it isn't NEAR it's exp. date. I will have to check my fridge temp when I get home - make sure that isn't off.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

How was your feta? If your cottage cheese is going off fast, that's one thing I'd wonder about.

I have heard others here at 3FC mention soy sensitivities, though. But it's such a common additive in processed foods that you might have encountered signs before. But maybe not. Food allergies are weird things. If it is indeed an allergy, and not spoilage.

As for me, I'm fond of tofu frozen, then thawed, then squeezed nearly dry, then marinated, and then baked. I use it on top of salads. (You have given me a craving for it.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #5  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
How was your feta? If your cottage cheese is going off fast, that's one thing I'd wonder about.

I have heard others here at 3FC mention soy sensitivities, though. But it's such a common additive in processed foods that you might have encountered signs before. But maybe not. Food allergies are weird things. If it is indeed an allergy, and not spoilage.

As for me, I'm fond of tofu frozen, then thawed, then squeezed nearly dry, then marinated, and then baked. I use it on top of salads. (You have given me a craving for it.)
My fat free feta looks fine... you know, for a fat free cheese. I don't think it is actual, real food. Lol! But it adds a nice flavor without adding fat or too many calories. It doesn't melt... it smells fine... no green fuzz.

I hope it isn't a spy sensitivity. I will take a break and try it again and see what happens.

What kinds of things do you marinate your tofu in? that sounds good! why do you freeze it first?
Old 09-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I freeze it partly because it changes consistency after it's frozen and thawed. It becomes chewier & feels different inside your mouth. Sometimes it gets crumbly, too. It's more like the tofu I've eaten in Chinese restaurants.

But also because after freezing, it becomes like a sponge. And I think that makes it soak up marinade much better.

One marinade that I put together has a little soy sauce, a little sesame oil, a little ginger, some red pepper flakes, some crushed garlic, and a bit of Splenda. Maybe rice wine vinegar. I've also used a bit of orange juice with other of the ingredients above.

Some people use barbeque sauce, but I'm not crazy about the HFC. (I'd rather take my chances with Splenda -- that's just where I am on the great continuum of Sweetener Beliefs at 3FC.)

Last edited by saef; 09-20-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: It's Sweetener Beliefs, not Sweetener Orthodoxy, as I first wrote; but people do have strong beliefs about various sweetening substances
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #7  

I've never had tummy issues after eating a large quantity of soy, but DH has. He also will have issues if I don't drain and press the tofu well enough. The more we eat it, the better his stomach handles it, but if I don't fix any for a few weeks he'll have issues when he eats it.

I freeze all of my tofu to give it a chewier mouth-feel, but what causes it to soak up marinades is the pressing - the more you press the more room in the tofu for marinades. Baking it and eating it on salads is my favorite way to prepare it, but my scrambled with nutritional yeast is a close second.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #8  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

I've never had tofu problems. I would suggest making tofu again in a different way. I too freeze it then thaw it and i love it most crumbled up and cooked on the stove top. then I add manwich to make a yummy sandwhich! I also bake it too or even two days i go I made a bbq burger with tofu instead of meat.

but anyway, try making it different and see if you get problems again after eating it. if you do, you might be sensitive to tofu. if not then it was probably some other reason.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #9  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I have never had any issues with it. I eat it raw too - I've never heard you have to cook it and I actually think that's incorrect.

I slice the Chinese style tofu and use it like fresh mozzarella in a sandwich with tomatoes, basil leaves, and a bit of olive oil, salt, cracked black pepper. You would never know it's tofu and not fresh mozzarella.

I make a tofu scramble similar to scrambled eggs - I break up the tofu in the pan and start to cook it. then, in a bowl, i add a bit of soymilk to which i dissolve tumeric (just a pinch, it can taste bitter if you add too much), cumin, garlic powder and salt. mix it all up and pour over the tofu in the pan and let it cook down. then add your veggies. I am a big fan of broccoli, onions and spinach, sometimes a can of diced tomatoes.

yuuuum.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

Had tofu scramble for dinner tonight... same results. Diarrhea. ~sigh~ I have searched and searched and found nothing about this being common. Nothing about it maybe being from eating too much. I put a little in a stuffed pepper recipe I made for dinner last night and had left overs tonight (one serving of tofu went into eight pepper halves, so it was a very small amount) and I definitely noticed some issues today.

I have two servings left... I might try freezing it and see if I have the same reaction.

Wildflower: I read that online about thoroughly cooking tofu that comes packaged in water. That you should buy tofu that is specifically made to be eaten raw... but I was looking at the package I bought and it says absolutely nothing about thoroughly cooking it - so I would think, then, eating it raw would be fine.

I am quite bummed... I was read a quick blimp on one site about tempeh and mizo... I wonder what those are like?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #11  

Tempeh is win. Just steam it for a few minutes before you cook it how you're going to eat it, otherwise it will likely be a bit bitter.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote