Old 08-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #1  
Doing it right!

S/C/G: 160/140/115

Height: 5'2

Default Had to Share! Eggplant/Chana Masala

So I made this recipe today...it rules! I doctored this recipe due to some of the comments, and it was amazing! If you like Indian food you will love this.

Recipe (from VegWeb):
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon curry
1 tablespoon tomato paste
15 oz can chick peas, drained, reserving 3 tablespoon liquid
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh black pepper
crushed red pepper, optional to taste
1 tablespoon vegan margarine

Directions:

I don't know how authentic this is, but I whipped it up last night. It tasted great to me.

Heat oil on medium high heat. Fry onions until slightly browned. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic, curry, and paste. Stir and simmer about 2 minutes. Add chick peas, liquid, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Simmer 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add red pepper to taste. Add margarine, stirring through to melt it. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes more or until peas are softened and dish is hot

I omitted the oil, and just sauteed the onions minus the oil. I also added a whole eggplant, diced, and a diced zuchinni. In addition to the curry powder, I added a tablespoon of garam masala. Finally, I added 1/2 cup of lite coconut milk for the creamy factor. Also, I didn't add the margarine...no need for the extra calories, the coconut milk is enough.

By the way, I doubled the recipe. When doubled, you can get 4-5 servings...for only 260 calories (4 servings) or about 325 calories (if 5 servings). So amazing I had to share. Let me know what you think By the way, it is vegan!

Last edited by clion; 08-09-2010 at 03:19 PM.
clion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Oh, good -- you explained in your notes where the eggplant came in. Because I was reading your list of ingredients over & over, thinking, "Where the heck is the eggplant that she put in the title?" I like your additions, but tell me exactly when you put in the eggplant & zucchini, and to what consistency do you cook it. Particularly the eggplant. Also, when did you add the coconut milk?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I could probably eat chana masala every day of my life and be a happy person! Well, maybe not that extreme, but I do love Indian food! I'm definitely going to have to try this out, although I might skip the eggplant, I just never could make myself like it.

But I think when you posted the calories you switched them. Shouldn't it be 260 for 5 servings and 325 for 4?

Thanks for posting the recipe!
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #4  
Doing it right!

S/C/G: 160/140/115

Height: 5'2

I added the eggplant and zucchini a little after adding the onions. And the eggplant becomes somewhat mushy, but not to an unpleasant extent. I added the coconut milk at the end, and let it simmer and thicken the dish.
effie: You are right, I did switch the calorie counts. Thanks for pointing that out!
clion is offline   Reply With Quote