Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/188/130

Height: 5'6"

Default Vegan Protein Supplements

Has anyone tried any vegan protein supplements?

I'm curious about them, I am vegan and after using Sparkpeople and monitoring the foods I add, I notice that I am always under in the protein department though I try to incorporate a form of protein in each meal.

I've read about vegans struggling with eating the recommended amounts of protein and how protein deficiency is a serious and possibly life threatening problem over time.

During a shop in a natural foods store I noticed a tub of a vegan friendly protein powder but am unsure of the quality of taste. I would like to find some form of protein supplement, any ideas?
ladycarbivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Odd, where did you hear about vegans struggling to eat recommended amounts of protein? Personally, I exceed my protein targets without even trying. How much protein are you getting now?

I'd focus on eating real foods such as legumes, veggies, fruit, etc. Things like quinoa and amaranth are grain like but have a bunch of protein. Also include nuts and seeds in your diet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #3  

From what I've read, and the food tracking application I am using it states I am supposed to be eating a minimum of 75 grams of protein a day. I do eat a lot of veggies, whole grains, and legumes but it seems I'm still not reaching my protein targets.

I mostly eat indian curries with legumes and brown/wild rice and veggies with it or quinoa or barley. I didn't worry about it previously, but once I started tracking what I ate, I noticed that my protein wasn't the daily recommendation.

It's also a concern because I am incorporating strength training into my exercise regime.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

If you are concerned about getting protein and want to use a powder, there are several options. There are hemp proteins, I think that Vega is a hemp brand but I am not one hundred percent sure. You can also use brown rice protein, which is the cheapest I've found, or my personal favorite the Sun Warrior brand. There are a lot of different options, try checking out amazon to see prices. You can also drink soy milk, or get protein from soy and tofu products, although some people are adverse to that. A high protein snack that I really like is dry roasted Edamame. And nutritional yeast (or nooch as it is lovingly called) packs something like 8 grams of protein per serving. It is a perfect protein. The important thing is that you don't rely too heavily on protein powders to bulk up your numbers.

I also wouldn't worry too much about meeting the spark people recommended protein. Those are generalized numbers and could even be too high for you. It is more important to feel that you are eating the right amount of protein for your body and your exercises than to eat extra only to ensure that you meet a goal set for you by a website.
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #5  
Just Me

The RDA is 50 grams although I know many sites like sparkpeople have higher targets because they are going for certain percentages.

The only reason I ask is because you here a lot of non vegetarians ask 'where do you get your protein from' when every natural food contains some protein. I've read quite a bit and apparently protein deficiency is unheard of unless you are starving overall.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #6  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I have been thinking of this lately, as I am eating mostly fruits and veggies, beans and maybe one serving of rice. I just ordered some Jarrow Brown rice protein to add to my morning smoothies. before the protei powder I was using about a 1/2c rice dream, 3-5 cubes of ice, a half banana, large handful spinach, and whatever berries I have on hand. Very delish! I hope it tastes as good with the protein powder though! I guess my main reason for buying it is that the fruit "smoothie" doesn't keep me full for a super long time and I am curious how much difference the powder will make....

But, after reading this(I have never really been concerned with protien intake) I think mine may be low. Usually between 25-30 I suppose... I guess maybe I should toss some beans in my smoothies! LOL jk. but that brown rice protien would definitely get me back up to where I need to be...
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #7  

Thanks for the input.

Maybe I don't need to worry about protein intake, I don't feel unhealthy or anything. Actually, when I'm sticking to my vegan diet and eating properly I feel great.

I've also been tempted to try tempeh or seitan. I have no idea how to cook or prepare these things, nor do I know how they taste. I've tried those Yves meat replacement products like fake chicken and beef and I am not partial. I find they taste funny, and I don't feel the need to "replace" the idea or sensation of eating meat.

If anyone has tried tempeh or seitan please reply
!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #8  
Just Me

I like tempeh but I think it is something of an acquired taste. Last night, I sauteed some tempeh cubes in olive oil and then added green salsa. I served it with beans, rice and steamed veggies.

I like seitan sausages that I've made but I rarely make seitan. I'm not always a big fan of store made seitan though.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #9  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I really like tempeh- sometimes. Depends on who makes it, so my advice would be make your own or try several different kinds, don't just give up after you have tried one and don't like it There is a restaurant here called the wild cow that has really great tempeh I always get their buffalo tempeh and its delish. Thinking of it is making me hungry!

I don't do gluten so I can't comment on the seitan....
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/125 (HW: 188)

The amount of protein we need is greatly exaggerated by the meat/dairy industry. There is just NO WAY a body needs 75g to function properly unless you're a professional bodybuilder. I would definitely check into tempeh and seitan to see if you like them, but as long as you're eating whole grains, legumes and veggies -- like you are! -- I wouldn't worry about extra supplements. Especially if you feel good. My body tells me when I need more protein -- I start to crave tofu and eggs. But that's only happened to me a handful of times and always under extenuating circumstances, and I've been a vegetarian my entire life.
lexie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #11  

You know, it never even occured to me to try the Tofukey deli slices. Since I've given up all animal products (Mid March) I haven't had any sandwiches which I always enjoyed.

Thanks for sparking that idea into my mind because that would be awesome with alfalfa sprouts, mustard, lettuce and other veggies.

Another questions to put out there....vegan mayo and cheese.

I really miss cheese, I do make a vegan pizza sometimes with just sauce, and favourite veggies but I was wondering how those vegan cheeses are. I have heard they are quite horrible so I've avoided buying them.

Also, someone I know has tried the vegan mayo and said that it was quite bland. I would love to make a cold pasta salad or enjoy mayo on a sandwhich but I fear buying a whole jar and not liking it.

Veganism is fairly new to me and I've been sticking to foods I know are safe, and only indulge in processed foods, including soy as a rare treat. But I miss cheese and mayo!

PS: I thought my icecream days were over, but I found a cold treat by So Good which is made with coconut milk....and it was soooo good.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I eat veggie burger type things about once a week, although I make my own a lot of the time. There is definitely something nice about the 'hamburger' on the grill that even veganism hasn't cured. I've never tried tofurky, though, it kind of skeeves me out for some reason.

As for vegan cheese, there are some non-dairy cheeses that still have animal by-products in them. And from what I've heard, they aren't particularly tasty anyway. The one brand that seems to get great reviews is daiya. I've never tried it as they don't sell it anywhere near me, but I've heard it melts which is a big plus for some people as most vegan cheeses don't melt.

I hated mayo to begin with, but my mom tried veganaise and said it tasted like Miracle Whip. There are a lot of different brands out there, though, with different bases, so it would probably take some research to find which one was truest to the flavor of real mayo.

And as for ice cream, I absolutely love vegan ice cream. Rice Dream has some good ones too. And don't even get me started on vegan baked goods, haha, they are beyond delicious!
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #13  

Just wanted to touch base and share my realisation that once I started eating 6 small meals a day, I've actually been hitting my protein requirements according to Sparkpeople.

I've incorporated hummus and peanut butter into my snacks, which really helped boost my protein intake. Actually I'm not sure if it's the extra meals I'm eating or the increase of protein which is satisfying my appetite and not making me feel excessively hungry throughout the day.

Protein apparently makes you feel fuller, along with assists in weight loss. So I suppose it is possible to have a completely balanced diet without sacrificing one thing for another.