Old 03-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default protein sources other than tofu

Besides tofu, where else can I get a good amount of protein? I have the same concerns as another poster with too much soy being bad for you and wanted to try cutting back on the soy and see if it helped any with my weight loss. I know there is beans and nuts, but it seems like I need to alot of them to really bump up the protein enough and that means more calories.

I like working out and want to build some muscle eventually...so getting enough protein seems important for that. I go back and forth with the vegetarian thing then..sometimes eating chicken, eggs and turkey. Then I was listening to Jillian Micheal's latest radio show and she was talking about how much stuff goes into the chicken She also talked about going meat free and having the same concerns as me with getting enough protein if you are working out, so she says she eats fish now, but I don't like fish.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 138/138/130

Height: 5'7"

Hi there! There are plenty of ways to get your protein. There are so many vegetarian/vegan meats to choose from now--veggie burgers, ground "meat", veggie hot dogs, veggie taco meat for tacos and burritos, veggie thai lettuce wraps, "chicken" patties, you name it! These can be found at your local health food store and most grocery stores. Also, soy cheese, soy milk and other soy products are great as well. I don't even think about protein because I know I get enough, but I counted one day for the heck of it and I had eaten 65 grams of protein! That's on a low-calorie diet too. You can PM me if you want.
PeatrixPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly,

There are quite a few famous vegan athletes and I think protein is pushed a bit too much. You really don't need all that much to build muscle. If you eat a good balanced diet, you should get plenty of protein.

1) Veggies, especially green leafy veggies
2) Nuts
3) Legumes - This includes beans, lentils, etc
4) Sprouts - I love to eat sprouts and make my own fairly easily
5) Fruit - Even fruit has a small amount of protein, bananas are notable in the fruit realm as a protein source
6) Whole grains - This is a huge group but things like quinoa and amaranth are great choices but brown rice, couscous and oats are also good sources.

I rarely eat soy and really without trying I get close to 100 grams of protein/day. Its just a mix of things I eat.

Last edited by nelie; 03-13-2009 at 09:35 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/165/130

Height: 5"3

I pulled this off of a website for vegetarians with soy allergies:

Beans
They're cheap, they're easy to cook (though they take a while), and they're valuable sources of micronutrients like iron, folate, and magnesium, just to name a few. Beans have so many virtues in a vegetarian diet that it's hard to list them all. And they're delicious and filling to boot. One cup of cooked black beans provides 15 grams of protein. Others -- pinto, cranberry, garbanzo, and navy, to name a few -- have similar nutritional benefits.

Nuts
Nuts are common allergens. So as with milk and eggs, they won't be useful for everyone. But like beans, nuts are rich vegan protein foods with other important nutrients, like vitamin E and phosphorus. One cup of pecans or macadamia nuts packs about 10 grams of protein, while a cup of whole dry-roasted almonds will net you a whopping 30. Don't overlook nut butter, nut milks, and nut flours as easy ways to add nuts to your diet.

Seitan
Made from the protein-rich gluten of wheat flour, seitan (or "wheat meat") is a commonly used vegetarian meat substitute that's safe for soy allergies in its unadulterated form (although you'll need to be careful if you're buying commercial seitan from a supermarket or health food store, as some varieties do include soy). You can make your own seitan from vital wheat gluten at home (just leave out the soy sauce). One serving of White Wave seitan will provide 18 grams of protein.

Whole Wheat
Whole wheat is an efficient way to get protein and one that's especially useful because it comes in so many different forms. Whether in the form of pasta, bread, or wheat berries (whole wheat kernels that are eaten like couscous or in cold salads), whole wheat is a great source of fiber and minerals like selenium and manganese. Be sure to buy whole grain -- not refined -- products for maximum protein. One cup of whole wheat spaghetti has 7.5 grams of protein, while one ounce of whole wheat bread with wheat berries will give you about three.

Quinoa
Touted as a "supergrain" for its nutritional completeness, the staple food of the Inca people is experiencing a bit of a commercial renaissance in North America. You'll find it sold not only as a whole grain but also blended with corn in pasta. One cup of quinoa includes 23 grams of protein (about half of an average woman's daily protein needs), and it's high in fiber, magnesium, and phosphorus to boot.

Flaxseed
Whole flaxseed is a lovely addition to muffins, where the chewy, crunchy texture works well. A few tablespoons of ground flaxseed can be added to any smoothie recipe for a slight nutty flavor and a nutrition boost. In one cup of flaxseed, you'll find nearly 31 grams of protein.

Oat Bran
Another so-called "superfood" (a group of foods such blueberries, salmon, and raw honey said to pack great nutritional punch), oat bran is the part of the whole-grain oat removed during the processing of instant and rolled oats. Like flaxseed, oat bran is an easy addition to baked goods. You can also add it to oatmeal or other hot cereals; a few tablespoons of oat bran added to instant or rolled oats won't affect cooking time but will provide a fiber and nutrient boost. You can also follow package directions to cook it by itself. One cup of cooked oat bran boasts seven grams of protein.

Now it's me talking again

If you eat a lot of whole grains, I think you will be fine. When I eat cereal (which I am trying to cut back), I eat flax-bran cereal which packs a lot of protein. Combine that with some kind of nut milk (or soymilk), and you're good to go! You'll be getting a lot more protein than the person who eats a Starbucks blueberry muffin for breakfast. You could also try Ezekial 4:9 sprouted grain bread, which contains 4 grams of protein and 80 calories per slice.
idrinkcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Steel cut oats pack quite a bit of protein.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 138/138/130

Height: 5'7"

Wow! I had no idea that quinoa had all those nutrients! I actually eat it quite a bit, but only thought of it as a whole grain alternative to white and processed flour. I am very happy to learn this information!
PeatrixPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

is quinoa in regular supermarkets or is it a healthfood store item? I'm guessing seitan is harder to find and has to be ordered online?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Seitan can be found in some grocery stores, usually asian markets have it and Whole Foods. Its also ridiculously simple to make but you'd need to buy the vital wheat gluten from some place like Whole Foods.

Quinoa can be found in some supermarkets, I've seen it in many. It is usually near the rice/couscous/etc. Its usually cheaper to buy it by the bulk in a store like Whole Foods though.

Last edited by nelie; 03-15-2009 at 11:25 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #9  

Hi there, I'm new to this board, but I've been in and out of calorie counters for awhile. I have recently started tracking my protein and after talking to a nutrionist I've discovered that I really need to up my protein.

I've started using a hemp protein powder and it works great. My protein is up where it should be, I have more engergy, not as tired and my sweet tooth is gone. The probelm is, hemp protein powder is expensive!!!!

I know I can get soy protein powder for much cheaper, but I'm a little concerned about that. Does anyone have any thoughts, wisdom, experience about what protein powders might be a good addition to my diet?\
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #10