Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/157/130

Height: 5'4"

Default New here and experimenting a bit.

Hello all! My name is Kim and i've found my way to your board! I struggle with some semi-serious health issues that are auto-immune in nature. Among some of the more annoying symptoms are some ugly digestive issues and pain. My path to dumping meat really starts there, but has some deeper roots.

For as long as I can remember (i'm 40 now) i've been really grossed out by meat. I have never eaten fish or seafood and as a young kid refused to eat meat "off the bone" - that stuck to this day. I don't like pork or fat of any kind and if the meat is too "thick" I gag.... One little bit of "ickiness" seen or chewed will make me dump the meat instantly. Do you see where this is going? LOL!

I think the thought of exploring the health benefits just made me really sit back and realize that I might not really miss meat at all......

SO I have been trying it out for the last few days (I am eating eggs and dairy) and I don't feel like I've made any super-human effort to do this. Dare I say, it feels almost "natural".

My husband is a Chef (classically trained no less) and generally makes 90% of our meals. Over the last year or so we have joked (due to some REALLY severe gas/digestive issues) that he is no longer able to digest red meat (mostly beef) properly. It really does a number on him. While he is not on board 100% he is MORE than willing to cut his number of meat meals as well as cut out most, if not all red meat. Lucky for me he has a TON of tricks up his sleeve and is the MASTER of quinoa. He has this weird love of it and really enjoys trying to cook it in fun new ways - I suspect this will be a go-to protein for us!

I'm super excited to be here. I've checked out a ton of boards and this seems like a good fit. I am a major animal lover (we have 3 dogs and 3 cats - mini ark) but I'm not yet ready to dive in head first into exploring or educating myself fully on that facet of this way of life. A LOT of the boards I found were really extremist with that - and that is GREAT, just not for me. Not yet. I suspect I will get to the point that I may re-assess my reasoning and adjust my diet further, I'm just not ready to go there yet....

I'm really looking forward to getting to know you, learning from you and sharing with you all!

Have a great day!!!
allhaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! I started going the vegetarian path slowly although I kind of skipped over it and went vegan. I don't miss animal products at all, although sometimes it takes some practice to navigate the world around us.

Quinoa is awesome but I think once you start looking to other foods for nutrition, your palate will expand immensely.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 157/157/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi guys! Thanks!!! I've been playing around with clean eating on and off for years. I tend to fall off the wagon and "pity" eat comfort foods when my disease is flare-y. Both my DH and I are pretty open to just about anything grain/veggie wise and he has this flare for knowing how to season things properly. I'd be totally lost without him - well, lost in a sea of bland.....

We had our first veggie garden last summer and doubled it this summer. Suspect that doubling will occur again this year. Not much luck with our tomatoes, but we have spectacular basil crops! LOVE basil!

Again, thank you for the warm welcomes! Hoping I can learn a lot here and i'll try to contribute when I can!!
allhaka is offline   Reply With Quote