Old 10-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default Bean recipes?

I'm ordering a big bunch of Rancho Gordo beans, and would love some good recipes you have tried for dried beans. We like basically anything. Except meat. I'm thinking bean soup!

Right now I have Vaquero and Pebble beans, which he doesn't have listed on his site right now, but they are cute and small.

Had any good beans lately?
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Do you have Veganomicon? I made the Leak and Bean Cassoulet (without the biscuits) and it was really good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #3  
Linda

S/C/G: 282/218/150

Height: 5'7"

I make a wonderful black bean and sweet potato stew, kind of like a chili, very tasty and filling!

Basically, make a sofrito of a tablespoon of olive oil, one onion finely diced and three cloves of garlic minced, saute over low heat and put to the side. Dice a couple of medium to large sweet potatoes and cook in lightly salted water until just tender. Drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the water. In large skillet or Dutch over, toast one teaspoon cumin and one teaspoon of chili powder over medium heat until fragrant. Add 4 cups of cooked black beans, one can of diced tomatoes, and the reserved sweet potato cooking water. Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer about 10 minutes, until thickened. Stir in the cooked yams and the sofrito of onions/garlic. Stir in a tablespoon of wine vinegar and a few drops of liquid hot pepper to finish.
DiverGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

The rice & bean salad with cumin vinaigrette from Vegan Fire & Spice is always tasty if you cut way down on the olive oil. Can't go wrong with bean soup either in my opinion!

Since your link said Vaquero taste similar to Anasazi beans, you could always make Cassoulita. There's a good recipe here that doesn't need a ton of tweaking for either flavor or to be waistline friendly.

Last edited by bacilli; 10-08-2009 at 08:52 PM.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

My very favorite thing to do right now is dice tons of tomatoes and cilantro and white onion. Dump in your beans and bring it to a simmer and cover for a little while. Season with salt and pepper. Or, if you have access to some, use Iberia Salt & Condiments Mix from Venezuela. This is super simple and soooo good.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

Thanks for the tips and recipes! I'm going to try them all. I've got both of those books, so I'll tab those pages. I have a recipe from my mother that I intended to make last weekend, but things went wrong and I didn't get the beans in to soak in enough time. I posted it in the recipe section . It is for southern style soup beans, made with smoked paprika and bay leaf instead of the traditional pork that my family grew up on. My mother said these are the best soup beans she's ever had. So if you're looking for some southern beans and cornbread, give it a try.

Thighs, I can't find anything on that seasoning mix. In Google, it just comes here. Is it seasoned or smoked salt? I've used Saltistry salts, and they are reeeally good.

Last edited by Jennifer 3FC; 10-22-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

This is wonderful and so easy:

Crockpot White Bean Chili

16 oz bag of frozen white corn
--2 cans of White Beans
--1 4 oz can of green chilies
--1/2 chopped white onion
--2 minced cloves garlic
--1 cup vegetable broth
--juice from one lemon
--1 1/2 t cumin
--1/2 t Italian seasoning
--salt and pepper to taste
--mozzarella cheese (optional)

The Directions.

--dump everything into crockpot.

You need to chop the veggies, but the rest of the stuff can just go in. You don't need to drain and rinse the beans, or drain the chilies.

cook on low for 8-9 hours, or high for 4-6.
serve with shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

I second the leek and bean cassoulet from Veganomicon. Yum!

Also white bean aioli:
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/foo...ean-aioli.html
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote