Old 05-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #1  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Gluten free, lactose intolerant and IBS

Does anybody eat a gluten free diet who is also lactose intolerant? I have IBS really really bad, and after much research on the web and cutting out foods I think I'm allergic to gluten and dairy.

My Dr has no answers for me and just gave me some meds to take. I am looking for a new Dr, not many to choice from in a tiny 1 horse town.

I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired all the time that I am willing to do what ever I have to do to change my eating habits. I have been a vegetarian for a while now, thinking that would help. It is much worse when I have milk or wheat bread for sure.

i guess vegan is the next step, which I have been wanting to do now for some time. I just don't know what my food options are anymore, beyond just veggies and fruits.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Wow. Sorry to hear it... sounds like a pretty miserable situation. I do think you should get the test for celiac (blood work and then if needed a biopsy). Unless it's confirmed, I wouldn't try to cut out gluten - it's a major lifestyle overhaul, and it would be best to be sure before you take that step. I wonder why your doc didn't test you for that? Gluten is in many, many things - not just bread!

Anyway, good luck to you!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

By the way, do not give up gluten before you are tested for celiac. I have two friends with it, and through many talks, I know it's best to keep on eating as you normally do before the test or test results can be skewed.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #4  
Highest Weight ever, 225

S/C/G: 225/185/160

Height: 5'8"

Also keep in mind though that yes its very important to eat gluten until you test BUT it also takes an average of 8 years in the U.S. to be diagnosed, if you can get the diagnosis.

I went EXACTLY down that road and found out that the blood test and be very inaccurate and the accurate test of biopsy of your intestines is only diagnosed as celiacs with complete destruction of the phili (sp?) in your intestines.

I tested by blood after cutting out gluten because my doctors were idiots then told after improved symptoms that I needed to eat gluten for several months to destroy the phili again and if they were only partially destroyed it would come back as fine.

So I decided to go with I feel better when I eat this way, no gluten, very little lactose. Oh and fyi the first sections of the intestine help produce lactase which digests your lactose- thusly its often a major symptom of gluten intolerance/celiacs. Oh yeah and to top it all off those test can all come back negative, meaning you do not have the auto immune disease 'celiacs' BUT you can be highly gluten sensitive or allergic to wheat, that will not show up.

So I decided to go with how I felt after failed tests, no more bruising, migraines (life long 3-4 per month), arthritis in my hip (at 33 years old!) went away, psyroisis gone ect. ect.!

This is my experience, I have found out that I am extremely sensitive to gluten and its a huge!!!! pain to try and live that way, I don't wish it on anyone because learning about cross contamination and all that is hard but I cannot trade that for feeling SO MUCH better! PM me with any questions and I can share my experiences more, just as a friend telling another about what they have been through and what helped them.
edzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #5  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

thank you all for your advice, I'm going in Thursday for some lab tests, its a start.
In the mean time I am looking up some Vegan gluten free recipes, just in case, can't hurt.
One day at a time I will get healthy no matter what.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote