Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #1  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Question What's your favorite McDougall recipe, or McDougall okay'd recipe?

I'm doing the McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss, for 12 days, and then if I like it I'm going to continue on his regular plan.

If you have any favorite recipes of his it would definitely help me!

So far I have tried a few of his recipes, and I don't like them at all, I've tried: Lentil Veg Soup, Summer Pasta Salad w/honey vinegar dressing & Teriyaki Pasta.

I have 2 of his books: McDougall Max. Weight Loss and The New McDougall Cookbook, I don't gave the Quick & Easy Cookbook.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Ohh thanks for starting this. I'm going to check it out of the library today at lunch. I'm not entirely convinced as I think the body needs healthy oils but I'm willing to try it.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

This isn't a recipe, but I do like his black bean cup of soup. The curry rice was ok too, but I liked it better with some Rancho Gordo Gay Caballero hot sauce on it.

I've got some Eat To Live recipes around here somewhere that I really liked, and I'm sure some of them will cross over to McD. I'll look for them in the morning and post them if I can find them!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 76.2/76/58kg

Height: 5ft6/1.67m

I'm not on McDougall, but would love some ETL recipes
tiggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy123 View Post
I'm not on McDougall, but would love some ETL recipes
Someone in one of the other threads posted the link to this site with ETL recipies, I've found it very helpful. I've made quite a few things on here and enjoy most of it. I hope this helps you.

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/etl/index.shtml
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #6  
Progress not perfection

Jackie...Awesome I'm going to check those out.

Jennifer.. I actually did go buy a few of his packaged soups for when I'm in a hurry, I've only tried one so far but I did like it!

So far my favorite McDougall okay'd meal is Spaghetti!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #7  
Progress not perfection

Ok, so I love a Split Pea Soup recipe I've had previously, and just realized it is McDougall friendly. Yay!

Here it is for all you McDougallers- also probably E2L friendly.

Thick, Flavorful, Hearty, Split Pea Soup!

1 bag (2 cups) split peas, no presoaking necessary
4 cups vegetable broth
4 cups water
1 vegetable bullion cube
2 largish potatoes, peeled
2 stalks celery
1 medium carrot
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic
1 leek
2 bay leaves
2 Tablespoons parsley
1 Tablespoon basil
1 teaspoon rosemary

Directions:
Chop all vegetables into small pieces. not microscopic, not bite-sized, but somewhere in between. The carrots can probably be a little bigger because they’re there for taste/color, not consistency.

Combine all ingredients in large pot, stir around a bit, cover and gently simmer for about an hour.

Use a potato masher to thoroughly mash everything up. There shouldn’t really be major chunks of anything floating around. The potatoes and split peas mashed together will make a nice thick puree. (If you don’t have a potato masher, use a large fork, egg beater, whatever you have and beat it vigorously for a few minutes. it’ll be fine.)

Cover and gently simmer for about 30 more minutes. throughout the entire simmering process, be sure to add water if needed so that the whole thing isn’t sputtering loudly like a stew would. It needs to look watery and soupy, not stewy while it’s simmering so that it won’t burn. Do not boil!!

Uncover and simmer until enough water has evaporated to desired thickness (make sure to stir it around to get a better idea because all the gloop will sink to the bottom and make the soup look more watery than it actually is). Remove bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste, enjoy! Serves: 4 HUGE bowls

(This took me about 3 hours to make, it is absoloutely delicious! I didn’t add Rosemary since I didn’t have any, and added a little more of all the other spices and herbs, just taste testing and playing with it!)
Old 01-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 76.2/76/58kg

Height: 5ft6/1.67m

Thank you Jackie!!
tiggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I have just started dougall myself, so I can't really help you out with favorites, but the fatfreevegan site mentioned above also has a mwl section. On McDougall's site you can subscribe to newsletters with recipes too.

This forum is great for mwl

One of the members made a clickable list of the newsletter recipes here
Quillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #10  
Progress not perfection

Awesome Quillie. :-)
How are you doing so far with the McDougall plan? I know you lost 13 lbs that first week, thats what made me read my book! Are you doing the regular plan or MWL?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I wanted to do mwl, but I have to admit I slipped into regular McDougall pretty fast. I can stay away from bread, but I do like to eat pasta every now and again. I figured he restricts it because it is to easy to eat too many calories from it, so I do a bit of portion control on that. I think the plan is very easy to follow, I'm certainly not hungry and I don't have many cravings.

It is quite an adjustment, I love all the food, but it isn't in our culture to eat beans or baked potatoes with topping or curries etc. I've never had those things. On the plus side everybody here is a vegan or vegetarian, so no special cooking necessary.

As for the weight loss, I can't be very proud of this week. I got my period and ate a whole lot of sorbet (no gelatin, how could I resist!) with that excuse in mind. Also I haven't started working out yet (with the excuse McD tells you to first change your diet) but I do think I'll have lost 3 lb this week, so nothing to complain about!

The lovely people on the McD board will be able to help you much better, some of them have been doing this for a long time, and after one week we lost over 100 lb together! (weigh-in is on thursdays if you want to join)
Quillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #12  
Progress not perfection

Oh wow, that is awesome! I'll join today 3 lbs will be great, I have just been walking around my neighborhood about 20-25 minutes a day, so not much but its a start. I do feel way better already.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #13  
Progress not perfection

Red Potato fries with Chili on top (and a little ketchup) YUM!

And McDougall friendly!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I'm going to look into this McDougall plan, turns out he went to my alma mater MSU, lol thats good enough for me. Go Spartans.

Update: I made this curry lentil pilaf, very very very yummy. I added a little ginger paste to mine, about 3/4 tsp. For some reason I love curry, ginger, and garlic together. So far this is my favorite McDougall recipe

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/grains/796.shtml

Last edited by JackieRn; 01-18-2009 at 07:07 PM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/170/130

Height: 5 2

i just ordered the McDougall Max. Weight Loss book i need to drop 30 lbs and this book looks promising
ladonna1981 is offline   Reply With Quote