Old 11-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #1  
Grasshopper

S/C/G: 197/117/100

Height: 4'10"

Default Amino Acids

Hi everyone! Just wanted some thoughts on this....Went vegetarian a little over a year ago, get plenty of protein from Tofu, Soymilk, beans, etc...Just wondered if it is neccesary to add amino acids into my diet, I've read that Bragg's has it that I can add to my meals. Is it beneficial, or just an additional plus but not so neccesary if I'm eating right?
RedKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #2  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

The belief used to be that you had to either supplement aminos, or eat a combination of foods together to make complete acids and proteins. Now the research has shown that as long as you get a variety in your diet they don't have to be eaten together. Another way to get them is sprouted grain products which are high in those things. I eat Ezekiel sprouted grain bread. It is vegan, FULL of nutrition and soooo yummy.

I myself do not supplement them and from what I understand it is not necessary .

Last edited by kierr; 11-07-2008 at 09:07 AM.
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/209/170

Height: 5ft 7

I also just discovered quinoa! Its an amazing breakfast an is a perfect protein with amino acids and everything. I love it
erinmagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #4  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kierr View Post
The belief used to be that you had to either supplement aminos, or eat a combination of foods together to make complete acids and proteins. Now the research has shown that as long as you get a variety in your diet they don't have to be eaten together. Another way to get them is sprouted grain products which are high in those things. I eat Ezekiel sprouted grain bread. It is vegan, FULL of nutrition and soooo yummy.

I myself do not supplement them and from what I understand it is not necessary .

+1.

Nice post Kierr

It is all about variety and balance. If your diet is well planned and varied, then I don't see you having a problem. Of course if you wanted to add Braggs...then I don't see how it could hurt either.
THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #5  
Grasshopper

Thanks everyone! It's not that expensive, yet at the same time if it isn't neccesary, than I don't see the reason to
Old 11-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

I remember reading on Dr. McDougall's website that Bragg's Liquid Aminos has MSG. Something to keep in mind for those who are MSG sensitive.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Bragg's blows me up like a 10lb water balloon. I honestly don't taste much difference in food cooked with it and since I eat a variety of protein sources I'm not overly concerned about amino acids. Just my 2 cents
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #8  
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chick B Gone View Post
Bragg's blows me up like a 10lb water balloon. I honestly don't taste much difference in food cooked with it and since I eat a variety of protein sources I'm not overly concerned about amino acids. Just my 2 cents
I guess I should have done more checking. Certain things for me do make me retain water!! While I don't think I have a problem with MSG, there is no reason for me to consume it and take that risk. My friend sent me a trail pack that included the amino acids and some seasoning packets. I have yet to try them. I appreciate everyone's input!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

I've actually been reading a book called "The Diet Cure" which talks about amino acid therapy (not specifically for vegetarians) as a way of dealing with issues like lack of energy, depression, sugar cravings, etc. I've been adding L-tyrosine to my supplements for years now, mainly because I find that these, along with B complex really help me with issues of mood swings and anxiety and concentration. However, when I tried 5-HTP, it only made me jittery and gave me a headache. Not sure why, since it's supposed to be good for all the stuff that ails me...

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote