Pickled ginger
Wasabi
Soy sauce
Sriracha hot sauce

Fillings:

Sunflower seed sprouts
Cucumber, seeded
Avocado, sliced thin
Tempeh (baked and seasoned or "bacon" is really good)
Arugula leaves
Marinated shiitake mushrooms
Pickled green beans
Sweet potato cubes (cooked)
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Plum paste (ume) and avocado!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I made sushi not too long ago...

Red peppers, cucumber, avocado, carrots, etc. It was fun but I wasn't very good at it so it looked not so pretty and tasted yum.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I have to try this someday!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Plum paste (ume) and avocado!
How could I forget to list my beloved umeboshi!!!

Seriously, *always* it shows up either in the dipping sauce or inside the roll.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Since sushi is sushi because of the rice, I guess this isn't actually sushi, but I make handrolls with sheets of nori using bulgar wheat instead of the rice, rice wine vinegar and various sprouts and matchstick veggies.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

SoulBliss (and other sushi-lovin' chicks!),

Do you roll it in the bamboo mat or do you have another trick? I've wanted to try this for so long, but my fear of the mat is holding me back!
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/158.5/150

Annie Chun has a sushi wrap kit that does not require a bamboo mat. The nori is already cut into little strips and you just put a little rice (provided) and some vegetables in there and roll it up with your fingers. It is not going to look like you got it at a sushi bar, but it is quick and easy and tastes good.
KindyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:32 AM   #9  
Just Me

Kaplods, I'd call that sushi

My parents bought a sushi kit at some county fair a few years back. They never used it, so they gave it to me. It is some 'Miracle sushi maker' and uhh it sucks That is what I used to make the sushi but I want a bamboo mat instead or maybe improvise...
Old 07-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #10  

The handroll doesn't require a mat. You basically shape the nori into an ice cream cone shape and fill the inside with vinegar seasoned rice (or in my case) bulgar and any other toppings.

I also have made sushi without the mat. I dampened the nori with a squeezed out damp paper towel and wait a few seconds (so the nori becomes flexible, rather than brittle) then I put my fillings in towards one edge, but leave at least a half inch of clean nori on three edges, and at least an inch of nori on the edge farthest from you, and then fold the nori like you would a burrito or eggroll (fold in the top and bottoms and roll away from you until you have a fully-inclosed log).

I do have a mat, and I'm getting better at using it. The mat is washable, but when I was first learning, I used some plastic wrap on the mat. Oh, and buy the mat in a oriental grocery if you can, unless your community has a large asian community, or you could pay a ridiculous price for the mat. If it's not under a couple of bucks (in my opinion) you're getting ripped off. I paid less than $3 (and I think quite a bit less) for mine in an asian grocery/deli.

Another sushi option is to put the vinegared rice in a bowl and put the toppings on top, the japanese call this chirashi sushi. If you want the nori, you can shred it and use it as a topping. I don't know how it's "supposed" to be eaten, but I just mix all of the ingredients and eat it. I think it's probably not proper to mix it in, but since I don't have japanese houseguests I don't have to worry about that.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/205/145

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the great tips and ingredient suggestions. I've always been hesitant to try sushi, but it'll be on my menu next week (right after our trip to the grocery store and the Asian market down the street!)

Thanks everyone!!
tofuhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #12  

If you can find it ready made, or know how to make it, that seaweed salad (the same weird bright green color of sweet pickle relish) is really good in or with sushi.

Our "Downtown Grocery" (the one with the wonderful vegan lunch menu) has it on their salad bar, and my husband said he saw it in the freezer section. I think we're going tomorrow to check it out. I don't know if you just thaw the seaweed and add the salad dressing (I think rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and sesame seeds and maybe some type of sweetener), but I love the stuff so I'm going to see whether it's worth buying a brick of, or just getting it prepared off the salad bar when I want it (and talking about sushi - I want it now).

Their's is better than I've even had it in a restaurant, because it has two kinds of seaweed. Not only the smooth crunchy/chewy type, but one that almost looks like frilly green cellophane, and has a strange crisp/crunchy/chewy/squeaky texture. Very yummy though.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-19-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:49 AM   #13  

Mmmmmm....I soooo luv sushi! I miss it as I don't do rice. The suggestions all of you have given sound delish!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #14  
Just Me

You can certainly do sushi with anything. You can use any grains you want or no grains at all.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Sunshine,
They'll make you riceless sushi if you ask. I've done that before and it's just as good.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote