Old 06-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/240/140

Height: 5'8"

Default High Sources of Protein?

For some reason, I'm having trouble getting enough protein into my diet. I know about tofu, obviously. Any others that are veggie (not vegan) friendly?
vikkivma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

First, how much protein are you getting a day? As long as you're getting at least 15-20% if your calories you will be fine. I aim a little higher myself but don't sweat it too much.

Beans are great sources. Beans also have a good amount of fiber so they keep you full longer. Raw nuts are another. Nuts and seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, etc) are going to be higher in fat but these are generally the good fats so as long as you don't overdo it not a big deal. Meat substitutes: boca burgers, gimme lean brands, Yves, etc are generally high in protein and low in fat. I tend to eat these in moderation as more then one meat substiture a day and I get a bloated feeling. This may just be me. Higher protein veggies include broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, peas and watercress.

Hope this helps!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Forgot to mention whole grains also!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 272/240/140

Height: 5'8"

I guess it's not so much the protein that worries me, but the fact that my fat percentage is usually higher. I'm glad to hear whole grains and beans have good amounts, though, because I've been trying to incorporate them into my diet.

But yeah - for the most part I was thinking it was all tofu and dairy, so I would end up with a high fat count.
vikkivma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I like Robb's whey protein shakes, found at Whole Foods. They have 25 grams of protein!!! I add them to greek yogurt, which has about 6 grams of protein. The Tortilla Factory low carb tortillas have 7 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein and I eat them with the flame broiled Boca Burger..yum!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Whole grains, beans, leafy veggies, and nuts are excellent sources of protein. I don't eat dairy and I eat limited amounts of tofu so my protein percentages are good and my fat percentages are low.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote