Old 05-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #1  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Something really annoying...

I went to the grocery store near work during lunch because I'm behind on grocery shopping after being away for the weekend. The store is the same company as the one I normally go to but they didn't have a "organic/whole" food section! That meant I couldn't get the almond milk and soy delicious ice cream sandwiches I was looking for. It's really annoying that stores haven't realized that people what and need food that is better for them then the overly processed stuff. Luckly most of the stuff I usually get in that section I still have plenty at home, but now I'm going to have to make a special trip to another store to get my almond milk and soy ice cream sandwiches.
I really wish a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods would open in my area...I love both of those stores.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

It is annoying!! I go to Harris Teeter for my basics which does have an ok selection of veggie items but I always seem to have to run to one of the local health stores to buy certain specialty items. I still haven't found nutritional yeast anywhere!!
I hate it but one of our local health stores is closing. The good news is everything is discounted right now! I'm going to stock up tomorrow night on non-perishables!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I've heard such great things about Trader Joe's, I desperately wish we had one, too. No such luck. At least my local grocery has a "Greenwise" section with soy/organic/veg*n stuff. They don't have nutritional yeast either, though.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #4  

I really don't like Trader Joes. Maybe it's just the ones here but the other shoppers are so rude and yuppiesque. Okay yes technically I'm a semi-yuppie but I rebel at everychance against my young urban professionalism!!

I prefer the Home Economist and some other local stores. I think I'm going to have to order the yeast online because I'm slightly concerned about B-12 plus it's supposed to be yummy!!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

I notice that Clif bars are fortified with B12.

Also, I saw this quote on various pages about B12: "Vegans who previously ate animal-based foods may have vitamin B12 stores that will not be depleted for 20 to 30 years or more. " Just so you don't over-worry here at the beginning.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #6  

I do think I'm over worrying a bit - the soy milk I drink has 50% of the daily recommended intake!! But regardless I found the yeast today!! I can't wait to try it, I'll let you know how it is.

btw yes I was a total dork and as soon as I found it did a miniature happy dance in the aisle
Old 05-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chick B Gone View Post
I do think I'm over worrying a bit - the soy milk I drink has 50% of the daily recommended intake!! But regardless I found the yeast today!! I can't wait to try it, I'll let you know how it is.

btw yes I was a total dork and as soon as I found it did a miniature happy dance in the aisle
LOL, I would have danced too. I'm really interested to see what you think of the yeast! The two things I've been wanting to experiment with are nutritional yeast and making my own seitan (wheat gluten).
Old 05-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #8  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Also, I saw this quote on various pages about B12: "Vegans who previously ate animal-based foods may have vitamin B12 stores that will not be depleted for 20 to 30 years or more. "
I've highlighted the word MAY above. I've also read that the average person has a 3-5 year supply of Vitamin B-12 in their liver. My brother who had eaten animal-based foods his whole life, ate vegetarian for five years when he started having some problems. His doctor discovered he had a vitamin B deficiency (I can't remember if it was B-6 or B-12). I'm currently eating animal-based foods and taking a daily multi-vitamin about every 2-3 days on average and have a B-12 deficiency. Perhaps we both have some type of genetic liver problem that's causing our problems.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that it may be enough for 20-30 years, or it may be 3-5 years. I'm glad you discovered that something you're already eating has the supplement.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't really care much for nutritional yeast but I do have recipes that use it. I've also made seitan. First time, was a bit of a disaster, second time was much better. I really like the steamed method as described here :

http://www.everydaydish.tv/Recipe%20...n_Sausage.html
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
LOL, I would have danced too. I'm really interested to see what you think of the yeast! The two things I've been wanting to experiment with are nutritional yeast and making my own seitan (wheat gluten).
Nutritional yeast = yummy My mom really wanted lasagna for mother's day. I made my sister take care of the lasanga and I did the salad and bread. I took my own dinner since the lasagna was full of cheese and meat. I made a thick spaghetti sauce and had whole wheat pasta and topped it with the yeast. It was sorta like parmesan cheese but really good!
Side note, I had pasta Friday/Saturday and Sunday and now officially off of it for a bit!!

Last edited by Fat Chick B Gone; 05-12-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #11  
Michelle the Vegan

Thanks WebRover, I'm sure we'll both pay attention the the B12 issue.

Nellie, thanks for the steamed seitan recipe! I don't have a steamer though, so I guess I'll have to find a different way to cook it! Today I am marinating my first batch of tofu which I will cook up tomorrow. I think it is going to come out good.

Heather, I still have no nutritional yeast, I may have to buy online. I can't wait to try it!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 05-12-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: 5'10"

I've also heard that for B-12 for vegans you can buy organic fruit and not wash it, and then you will get some B-12 off the skin. Anyone else heard that?
BeckyC104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #13  
Just Me

I've heard that BUT really you shouldn't rely on that as your source of B-12. The reason is that our intestines create B-12 and we excrete B-12 but we can't absorb it at the point our body makes it. So vegan animals in nature tend to eat their own poo (or other naturally fertilized things) as a way of getting their B-12. We could resort to that method but I rather take a pill
Old 05-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #14  
Keep Chuggin'

S/C/G: 166/150/120

Height: 5'1"

LOL Nelie!!!!!!

I've been a vegetarian my WHOLE LIFE so I guess I don't have ANY B12 stores because mine's always really, really low.
miriam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #15  
Just Me

vegetarian or vegan? vegetarians get b-12, it is vegans that have to worry.