Old 03-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #1  

Default Smart Deli Meatless Slices and other meat substitutes

X

Last edited by allifiend; 07-01-2014 at 09:42 AM.
allifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

You know, it would be great if the thread title indicated that this would be a review thread of veggie "meats" in general so people could find it that way.

Here's a fave: They aren't low in calories, but the Gardenburger BBQ Riblets are so good! On a roll with all the fixin's they can't be beat.

240 calories, 17 grams of protein, 4.5 grams of fat 5 grams of fiber and 33 grams of carbohydrate per "Riblet".

http://www.gardenburger.com/eat-posi...bq-riblets.php
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

In general, I try to avoid meat substitutes.

I have a conflict though in that I'm trying to up my protein as part of my exercise program so I've been looking for good things to try that are decent.

One thing I do really really like are Trader Joe's Masala burgers. I guess they aren't really a meat substitute because they really aren't trying to be a burger, but they are so good.

Another thing Trader Joe's has is these beef-less and chicken-less strips. They are low calorie and have lots of fiber. They aren't that great tasting but mixed in with other things, they are pretty good. (Salad, burrito/taco, etc0

Boca burgers (vegan) aren't bad but I cook them in the toaster oven until they are kind of crispy. I then cut them up and put them in a wrap or salad.

My advice though if you really want a good tasting meat substitute is try making them yourself with vital wheat gluten. (If you don't have a gluten allergy) I go to a Chinese restaurant that makes amazing wheat gluten meat subs. The ham tastes better than any 'meat' ham I ever had. I really don't order the meat sub dishes there but they often come as part of the veggie dishes I do order. There are a lot of recipes out there for seitan (which is the formal name for meat subs using vital wheat gluten). Then you can flavor it like you like as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:43 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

alli - Not that they are healthy but I try to avoid processed products. Also, I think there is a lot of variety in a vegetarian/vegan diet that you don't really need meat substitutes. If I want a sandwich, I can make a pretty tasty sandwich out of veggies and things like hummus. Meat substitutes tend to also be expensive.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote