Old 12-16-2007, 01:32 PM   #16  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinRockingChair View Post

Animals in the food chain are simply bred to be eaten. Yes, it can seem horrific to humans but animals simply don't think like we do. And no I can't *prove* that..my point is that the only good *mental reason* imho for being veggie is that you don't like the idea of benefitting, foodwise, from cruel farming practices.

But they have every right to be eaten - we're capable enough to breed them to eat, so whats wrong with that..everything lives and dies. What would they be doing if they weren't being eaten...leading a life of eating grass and reproducing, that'd be about it lol.
That is a very unusual perspective for a vegan to have. I've never heard it before.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #17  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I think I understand what you mean, Emily. I don't think it is unethical to kill and eat an animal, under more natural circumstances. If I were living in the idyllic country setting with chickens outside the barn and cows in the pasture it would be different; if I were a hunter-gatherer it would be different - a lot different from getting factory farmed meat at the supermarket. There is a natural foods store around here that sells local, pasture grazed beef. It is very expensive, and most people are not willing to pay three times as much for something like that than they pay at the regular supermarket. If I were to buy beef, maybe to prepare for someone else, I'd pay the extra money for pasture-grazed and have my conscience be happy.
My reasons for avoiding meat are that with our huge population we can't have everybody eating meat frequently and have the animals raised humanely. At the same time, I think that one can be a consciencous and practical sometimes-meat-eater. For example if you have an old dairy cow that's about to cash in her chips, why not get some use out of her and feed and clothe some folks by making hamburger and leather shoes rather than giving her a decent burial, or ????

Anyway, as far as the original question goes about switching: I think the Moosewood Cookbook would be a good first step. It is not vegan, and there's a lot of cheese involved, but the recipes are delicious.
I have an ethical dilemma with eating a lot of cow-dairy becasue I don't want to indirectly support the veal industry (where a lot of the males calves go) so I get almost all goat-based dairy.
Back to the Moosewood cookbook -With the dairy, there may be some overlap in there between low-carb and vegetarian also.
Good luck! It is always heartening to hear more and more people making food choices based on ethics.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #18  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Thanks again everyone for all the replies. For reasons that are really too convoluted to explain I'm firmly committed to not eating mammals.

Currently I'm still eating seafood and poultry, but I'm planning to phase out all flesh by the end of January.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #19  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Spiny you've made a lot of valid points. Personally though, the idea of eating mammalian flesh for any reason is anathema to me now.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote