Old 10-25-2007, 03:52 AM   #1  
Amber

S/C/G: 137/ticker/110

Height: 5'6''

Default Has anyone reincorporated fish?

I have been vegetarian for seven years, but am thinking about adding fish back to the diet, entirely for health reasons.

My vegetarianism is mostly on account of the treatment of animals while they are alive (e.g. factory farming practices). Fish (caught in the wild) has always fallen into a hazy category with me, although I still don't enjoy the killing aspect.

I'd like to be healthy and augment my protein and fatty acid intake. So advice on people's experiences with fish would wonderful... I'm on the fence!

Thanks...

Amber
nimbus3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well I really wouldn't call the world's fish the healthiest due to increased mercury levels and such. I think it would be smart for anyone to limit their fish intake somewhat. You can check Seafood Watch website for information on good choices for fish.

As for fatty acids, ground flax seed is great for that.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #3  
it's always something

I've had problems with soy and had to give it up, and found the best way I could get enough protein would be by adding fish back to my diet. I only eat it about twice a week, if that much. However, I've always taken fish oil capsules, so I guess technically I wasn't a vegetarian or vegan anyway I carefully choose the seafood to make sure it's wild caught and from clean waters. I feel comfortable with my choice. My stomach did feel a little funny the first couple of times I ate it, but I adjusted.

I considered flax seed and I do use it, but it may not be a reliable source of fatty acids for everyone. Flax seed oil has to be converted by the body to EPA and DHA. According to many sources, not everyone has the ability to convert it, so it's not providing the same benefit
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #4  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

I consider myself pesca-vegan :P Between being gluten free and soy not always agreeing with me (not necessarily sensitive/allergic, but I never know when it's going to upset my stomach so it's best to avoid it all together), the only way for me to exist without being a lazy ball of weak eating in my campus cafeteria is to eat fish. I do have salmon just about every day... if not twice a day. :\ The vegan/vegetarian selections that my school offers almost always has either gluten or dairy so while there are normally 5 or 6 vegan/vegetarian offerings on any given day, they all can be rendered inedible quite easily.

But that's just me. Even with fish, I struggle to get even 50 grams of protein a day so it's really a necessary evil for me to deal with. I prefer farmed fish because of so much overfishing, but I really don't have of a choice in that matter.
charolastra00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #5  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I gave up fish when I was 20 for 8 months, and couldn't stick with it , I do eat salmon,tuna, trout and shellfish, but I too struggle with protein issues, I don't eat fish every day, there are times I only eat fish twice a month. I eat more vegetarian meals then anything else. I don't have any really good reasons why I eat fish, I know there are alot of arguments out there that I am not a vegetarian, ect.. I did give up poultry, meat because of their treatment also, but I have not been able to do this with fish.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #6  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I personally don’t think fish is the great health food that it's touted as, and also avoid it because of environmental/ethical reasons. A lot of vegans take an omega-3 DHA supplement (made from sea algae) and/or use ground flax seed or flax seed oil in their diets. If you don't have gluten or soy sensitivities getting enough protein is pretty easy, not that having food allergies/sensitivities makes it impossible but definitely more difficult. I don't know if that helps, I'd suggest doing more reading and research on both sides and see what makes sense to you.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #7  
ViolinCyndee

Nope.. no fish for me...

Also, fish that are caught in nets are not the only thing that gets caught in those nets.

I agree that fish is overrated, healthwise...
ViolinCyndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #8  
Amber

S/C/G: 137/ticker/110

Height: 5'6''

Sorry, I have been out for awhile. It is great to hear all of this advice! Unfortunately, what I have read on the subject seems to balance out the pros and the cons as much these posts. I hadn't considered mercury levels, and it seems that I'll need to be careful to get non-netted fish from clean sources.
I decided to just go for it a few days ago, and bought some crab cakes at a local health food market. I felt as though I couldn't brush my teeth enough afterward, but in the spirit of experiment I had small amounts of fish for the next two nights.
Almost immediately, and I don't mean to be hyperbolic, a sort of white noise left my head, and I felt more focused. I'm aware of placebo effects, however, so I'll give this one time. It just seems like despite my persistent efforts to keep my brain in peak function over the last several years, nothing has amounted to the return to "my old, high school brain" as much as this has. Another effect that may or may not be passing/related is an elevated sense of aggression, but we'll see.
A friend of mine was vegetarian for a decade, then decided to take the plunge and eat beef (talk about a transition). I trust her levels of self-awareness, and believed her when she said that she immediately felt her energy skyrocket.
But there a substantial trade-off that can't be ignored. I'm eating flesh again, and pain necessarily had to occur in the process of the fish arriving at my plate. I'm not so dense as to convince myself that fish are "lower lifeforms" that don't deserve sympathy, etc, etc. Part of what differentiates animals from non-animals is the ability to feel pleasure and pain; that is the mechanism of their evolution. I don't know how to reconcile this, yet. For the moment, though, I've realized that without attending to my own brain function, I'll be making too much of a sacrifice.
Anyway, this turned out to be more of a diatribe than I thought. Perhaps someone is in a similar situation... but that might be in the Vegetarian Challenged forum.
nimbus3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I also eat some seafood. I added it back in when I was hit with both joint problems and thyroid problems. Based on the reading I did I decided to decrease my soy a little and add some fish. I do only eat wild caught, cold water fish and rely heavily on Seafood Watch to determine what to buy. There is also an organization that certifies some seafood and I can get those products at our co-op.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #10  
ViolinCyndee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbus3007 View Post
But there a substantial trade-off that can't be ignored. I'm eating flesh again, and pain necessarily had to occur in the process of the fish arriving at my plate. I'm not so dense as to convince myself that fish are "lower lifeforms" that don't deserve sympathy, etc, etc. Part of what differentiates animals from non-animals is the ability to feel pleasure and pain; that is the mechanism of their evolution. I don't know how to reconcile this, yet. For the moment, though, I've realized that without attending to my own brain function, I'll be making too much of a sacrifice.
Anyway, this turned out to be more of a diatribe than I thought. Perhaps someone is in a similar situation... but that might be in the Vegetarian Challenged forum.
Interesting..

I agree that fish definitely can, and DO, suffer greatly on their journey from the water to one's plate.

But, I also know that you can have an entirely vegetarian (even vegan) diet which is balanced and healthy.

I have had not even one bite of meat for 20 years and rarely ever get sick. I had bronchitis once in my life, probably 3-4 colds, and 1 stomach virus during those 20 years.

And if I do ever develop any health problems, I would closely re-examine my diet to make sure that I have enough dark greens, beans, soy, and other sources of protein and iron.
ViolinCyndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #11  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

I have accidentialy eaten fish sauce from Thai food, even though Thai places have vegetarian items on their menus does not mean they do not have fish in them. Apparently the Thai people do not consider Fish meat.
I agree about the fish and level of toxins in the waters, is it really worth eating....

Beans are a good source of protein and energy I think
jasmine987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Amber,

I consider myself vegetarian, but I still eat fish and seafood. Personally, I could not do without it in my diet.

I, too, have struggled with the issue of what I eat suffering to get to my plate (and I still do). I try to eat fish from the most sustainable source, and stick to the brands that identify themselves as dolphin friendly.

I believe that just like with every other subject, everyone is going to have their personal beliefs and opinions. You need to decide for yourself what is best for you.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Jasmine,

I'm in MD and there is a popular Thai restaurant that specifically puts on their menu "ask for no fish sauce" if you don't want it. I did that last time I went and there was no taste difference to me although I try to order things with minimal sauce as it is.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #14  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Jasmine,

I'm in MD and there is a popular Thai restaurant that specifically puts on their menu "ask for no fish sauce" if you don't want it. I did that last time I went and there was no taste difference to me although I try to order things with minimal sauce as it is.
That is so great! Most places just put it in your food and I've had numerous places deny it's there even when I can tell! HELLO! Fish is NOT in the plant kingdom, it is in the ANIMAL kingdom and is not vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination!

As far as the general discussion here is concerned, I know that everyone must do what they feel is best for them as an individual.

There are a few facts that stand, however:

Fish is not a vegetarian "food", as fishes and other sea creatures are animals.

There are many, many cruelty-free, plant based ways to get EFA's (though SOME may have issues converting plant-based sources, it is a difficult thing to determine that this indeed is happening).

There are also many, many ways to get adequate protein, even without eating gluten and soy. (Think lentils, beans, broccoli, whole grains and seeds, such as quinoa, nuts, hemp, pea, rice protein powders).

All that being said, not everyone has the same motivation for choosing a vegetarian lifestyle OR their reasons may change. I ask that those of you who do decide make a change, please consider calling yourself something other than 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' once you start eating non-vegetarian and non-vegan foods, because the confusion it can create in others (who aren't veg*n) results in unpleasant situations for those of us who ARE vegan or vegetarian. Unlike many things in life, this is one thing that is pretty black and white...You either are or you aren't!

It's a very individual choice and there's nothing wrong with adapting based on PERSONAL values and making a decision to change (or try something new temporarily). As long as one is making a conscious, informed choice and feels good about it, then who can argue with that?

Last edited by SoulBliss; 11-06-2007 at 09:37 AM.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #15  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I eat fish, and I havent been sick in years myself. I dont consider myself vegetarian becasue I do eat seafood, because its yummy At the rate I eat seafood Im more likely to die from mercury poisioning than anything else, I eat it nearly everyday, because sometimes I just want something "meaty" and beans usually fill the void, but not always. Veggie Patties are good but they are also processed, which bums me out. Maybe one day I can make the transistion but seafood is my favvvvoriiite
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote