Old 10-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #16  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I've made the hot sauce glazed tempeh a couple times, it's yummy! We used our Foreman grill (whatever did we do without that thing?) The marinade is great for tofu too, and easy to throw together with stuff I usually have on hand.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:55 AM   #17  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I got my book last night. I am dying to try the Pumpkin Saag !

I think I need to go buy some parsnips because I looked at 3 recipes I want to try real soon and all of them called for parsnips.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #18  
it's always something

Let's all make something and compare notes
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 PM   #19  
Just Me

I made the Pumpkin Saag tonight. I modified the recipe a bit. I used pumpkin puree instead and I added in white kidney beans because well I need to eat my beans. I didn't have peanut oil so I used a little natural peanut butter instead. I also used indian hot chile powder instead of cayenne.

It was really good. DH likes it a lot. I liked it as well but I also thought it was missing something, not quite sure what but it may have been me tinkering with the recipe.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:22 PM   #20  
it's always something

It sounds really good! I looked it up after you mentioned it, since i've never heard of 'saag' before. I think I'll try it sometime

I went shopping tonight and am prepared to make a few dishes myself Tomorrow I'll make the Acorn Squash and Pear Soup!
Old 11-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #21  
it's always something

Oh my soup is heavenly! It looks kind of like chunky applesauce. It includes acorn squash, pears, onions, red bell pepper, and adzuki beans. It's flavored with a hint of ginger, garlic, and chinese 5 spice powder. I cheated and used boxed vegetable broth instead of homemade. The shiitake mushroom garnish is very nice, but I might not make it again the next time I make this soup because it added to the expense.

I sure hope it freezes well, because my stock pot is full! I measured out 10 cups, but you may want more than one cup per serving. It says it serves 6..

Old 11-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #22  
Just Me

Nice! I just happen to have adzuki beans although DH doesn't like soup and I already have 2 kinds of soups in the freezer. I basically made a double portion of the pumpkin saag so it'll last a few days. Then I'll make something else although not quite sure what.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #23  

Nelie, is the pumpkin saag recipe posted here?
lola06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #24  
ViolinCyndee

I got mine! YAY!
ViolinCyndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #25  
Just Me

Cyndee,

Let us know about any recipes you make.

Lola,
The pumpkin saag recipe is in the cookbook Veganomicon.

I also have an update on the Pumpkin Saag. It was good the first day but it was FANTASTIC the second day. The flavors did really set overnight in the fridge. It was soo good. I know this will be a regular recipe for me.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #26  
ViolinCyndee

I made mashed potatoes with wasabi. mmmmmmm!! It was a variation of mashed potatoes.

I served that with my own broiled curry seitan.
ViolinCyndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #27  
it's always something

I made another Isa recipe tonight, though it was from Vegan with a Vengeance. I made the sweet potato crepes with cilantro sauce, which they demonstrated in episode 2 of their show. Yum! I'm not a fan of cilantro, though, so I just used a little in the sauce and replaced most of it with baby spinach. It was still too strong, though, so next time I'll just use spinach, and maybe add a leaf or two of thai basil. The crepes were very good, just like regular crepes with egg. The sweet potato filling took a lot longer to cook than the recipe indicated, but it was delicious There's so much of it! I'll share some with Nick, and will freeze the rest to test it's freeze-ability Cooking for one can be a pain.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #28