UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #1  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Jools Holland kicks bum!

Hubby and I saw him the other night and it was so much fun! We went last year, too. I'm becoming a Jools groupie! It was really lovely. We just spent the night dancing and cheering and clapping. His whole band (orchestra) just always look like they're having the time of their lives up there.

I liked the guests who appeared last year better, I must admit. There was the guy who sings Tainted Love and "standing at the door of the Pink Flamingo"...oh yeah, "Say Hello Wave Good-by" last time. This year it was LouLou or LuLu or something like that. Maybe I need to be British and have grown up with her but I wasn't overly impressed. I could tell she probably used to have an amazing voice but I could barely hear it over the music. I think she's blown it out over the years or she had a cold cos there wasn't much power.

Anyone else a fan?
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #2  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Oooo, sounds fun MT Marc Armond or Almond...can't remember his last name correctly now, I love his songs... when Tainted Love comes on the radio here, I blast it... huns loves it too...

Lulu hey... she's still going, bless her...

PANIC IN MA... I can't find the fried onions, but am still looking...don't give up hope
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #3  

I love Lulu! The wee scots lass. I think she still looks good for her age. I love the way she sang The man who sold the World. The band must have been extra loud cos believe me the lady can belt 'em out. One song she was famous for (apart from the Eurovision Boom bang a bang) was Shout! (My Dad's fave).

I particularly love watching Jools Holland at New Years (Hootenanny!). It is so good to have some decent music on to see in the New year whcih replaces the dreadful Scottish stuff (sorry Scots!) we had to listen to on my nan's insistence. Something to do with the white or was it purple heather club or some such stuff - I dunno.

Marc Almond used to be in a twosome called Soft Cell.
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/197/132

Height: 5'4"

I've never been the biggest fan of Jools, but I have to say I absolutely despise LuLu. What kind of accent is that?? Is she American? Is she Scottish? It changes with the weather. When I went to see Elton John last year, she was the support act and she came on stage and said 'Hellooo Glasgow' in the broadest of Scots accents, then carried on speaking with an American accent.

Don't worry peacock, the Scottish stuff on at Hogmanay is dreadful, TVs even worse than Christmas.
wana wear a bikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:45 AM   #5  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Jools Holland is growing on me - I didn't used to like him at all.

I admire Lulu but I don't particularly like her. She's Scottish but was married to an American - or maybe more than one American - not sure. Did anyone else see that Take That thing on the telly last night - she and Jason (or was it the other one) agreed they hadn't had their famous affair. Now... I've heard her least twice say that they did. Maybe she's got a vivid imagination but I think is more likely that she wanted the publicity.

I met Marc Almond a few times in the 80s through my job at that time and he is a genuinely nice person. There aren't that many people you can say that about in the music biz.

I don't know why the UK TV schedule is always so useless over the New Year - there are lots of people that don't want to (or can't) go out.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:48 AM   #6  

Didn't know she was married to an American, I know she was married to Maurice Gibb for a while (my fave BeeGee - traitor) but she just comes across as incredibley phoney. Those adverts she was in for Flora or Benecol or whatever it was made me cringe. I actually can't watch her.
The Take That thing was pretty good I thought, wasn't a fan at the time even though I was of the age to be calling the Samaritans when they split up, but I've come to appreciate how many great songs they actually did. Three of them looked like junkies though.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:52 AM   #7  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana wear a bikini View Post
Three of them looked like junkies though.
Yes, I thought.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #8  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Wasn't Lulu married to that hairdresser at one point as well... John Frieda?

Hogmanay.. when I was little, my Dad (Scots) used to play his records with the Alexander brothers, we had a wonderful time, pretending we knew the Highland fling, very happy memories
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #9  

Scottish New Year can be great, as long as you don't turn the TV on! I've never particularly enjoyed it as a holiday, it's a bit pointless and I'm a bigger fan of Xmas than New Year, but Hogmanay has the advantage of having brilliant Ceilidhs to go to - I love 'em!
Old 12-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #10  

I love Marc Almond.

Lulu and Jason She said it in her autobiography. I don't think she said which one but it is Jason.

I think all of Take That look much better nowadays. I've just watched the Manchester stadium gig on itv2.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #11  

I don't maind the new take that single. Watched a bit of that celebrity audience thing but I had to turn over when that woman was writhing around on Barlows lap whilst suspended on a big hoop thing. Really cringeful.
bigbonedlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #12  

Lol, gotta agree about the benecol ads! Cringe!
bigbonedlass is offline   Reply With Quote