UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW/253/CW231/GW175

Height: 5'8

Default Who has devised their own diet plan and lost weight?

Does anyone here follow their own diet plan?Not Weight watchers or calorie counting or slimming world but one they themselves have made up and found it successful?
SlimmingWorldChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:18 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

YUP! That's me! Over here

I loosely calorie count, but mostly I do my own thing, plenty of exercise, cut the processed food, eat plenty of wholegrains, plenty of veggies and fruits, eat a piece of chocolate every day! And get as much protein as possible.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:09 AM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Me too!

I don't calorie count (although I do use them as a guide - e.g. a 100 calorie snack is better than a 400 calorie one...). I just make it up as I go along really. Lots of exercise helps.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm not Uk can I chime in? cuz I do make up stuff as I go along.
I started out eating for my blood type and gained a few extra pounds.
I counted calories.
Learned the importance of low fat and extra protein.
I like BFL and BFFM.

So now it's eat approximately right for your type - calorie counting - low fat - body for life a la Susan
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:20 AM   #5  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

I did!

I didn't tell myself I was going on a diet when I decided to lose weight. Instead I changed my lifestyle, which included how I think about food. I chose low fat, low sodium (to help reduce problems in the future) and I chose to calorie count because I was curious as to what I was eating calorie wise. I avoid processed foods, "white" foods e.g. white rice, white flour, white bread. Lots of fruit, veggies, lean meats. I learned the value of protein and exercise.

I did a lot of research on the internet before I went on this journey, most of it came from this site .

One important thing. I'm going to be doing this for the rest of my life. You have to. If you go back to the way you ate before losing weight and stop exercising, you're giving yourself a higher chance of putting the weight back on.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

I cut out the junk firstly and did this for ages. Re-joined my gym and walked as much as I can. Eat as healthily as far as I can but I still scoff junk from time to time.

SW 14 stone 10lbs
CW 9 stone 7lbs
GW 8 stone 13lbs
micheleherts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I started with basic Atkins plan and added plenty of fresh fruit and whole grains. Left out sugar, salt, flour, white rice, potatoes, white pasta. I do allow Oats and sweet potatoes. I eat mostly green veggies and squash and lots of salads. This has worked well for me. I walk for exercise.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #8  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

i am one of those people too, i think i was so determined to lose weight, having my own plan, my own exercise and my own goal, means im more determined to do it right, and loose it. Also if i loose loads i could publish a book LOL....not really but would be funnny
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #9  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Me! I follow a mixture of Slimming World, calorie counting, Mediterrasian, Sonoma and Superfoods/Wholefoods. I do attend SW meetings because I find that the support is invaluable but sometimes I feel like a fraud when they applaud me and ask if I'm mosty Red or Green, hehe. I tend to follow the structure of SW, as in Healthy Extras and Free Foods but eat Med foods, Superfoods and Wholefoods w/in those guidelines. I also still tend to use the Sonoma portion percentage as a guideline (50% of a plate filled with a mix of veggies, 25% lean protein, 25% wholegrain carb). And all of this is wrapped around lax calorie counting, as in if I do have a fattening treat, then I just eat a bit less for the rest of the day because I do realize that at the end of the day, it's calories in versus calories out.

I've probably made it sound more complicated than it actually is. Basically, I've just tried to cut out mindless eating and processed foods. Oh yeah and I love, love, love my cardio workouts, whether walking, cycling or bellydancing. Not so much loving the strength training but I do recognize it's value.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #10  

Lots of interesting hybrids here. Me too. I mixed Paul McKenna (who doesn't believe in dieting at all!) - but for motivation to exercise, and a healthier attitude (ie: throw the scales!); with Rosemary Conley (nothing over 5% fat except your daily treat), with Low GI/Glycemic Load.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #11  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Now I'm home I'll describe mine in more deail. It's very much been trial and error, with exercise to let me get away with a bit more, but it's ended up being vegetarian, home cooked whole foods with regular treats and an eye on portion control. I get recipes from low GI cookbooks, and have incorporated that a bit but don't follow it strictly. I also do try to mentally balance things out over days and weeks. I was lowish carb for a while, not doing Atkins as such because I did eat a fair amount of carbs, but somewhere along the lines of no carbs after 6pm, but once I started running more I threw that theory in the bin and it hasn't affected anything, so it's carb city round here now. I do try to stick to complex carbs though. And lots of veggies.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:55 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 26st/12.2st/11st

Height: 5`10

ive managed to lose the bulk of my weight quite easily but im struggling with the lat 30 lbs so ive revised my diet and im now upping the protien and trying to cut down on the carbs.im finding the carbs bit really hard tho .its just trial and error at the moment i dont count calories just trying to eat a well balanced diet ive also started to have a protien drink every morning as i struggle with breakfast i make my own using fresh fruit ,greek yoghurt,soya milk and add 1 scoop of 90% protien powder .ill see how it goes over the next couple of weeks .if i still dont lose anything then ill revise it again
any helpful tips would be apprieciated greatfully
nuttynurse1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:25 AM   #13  

Mine is a mix of everything too. I sort of count calories, but I'm not religious about staying under a certain number. I try and drink a ton of water and I do not drink calories (alcohol excluded). I did fitday for a while to understand what I was eating, this caused me to increase my protein significantly, then I got lazy about doing fitday because I eat similarly every day.

I exercise a ton, at least an hour of cardio every day, often more. Sometimes on weekends I'll take 3 hour walks after going to the gym. I run 5 miles 2 or 3 times a week, do spinning 2 or 3 times a week and weight or bootcamp classes 2 or 3 times a week. At my gym I can do the weights than spinning consecutively so it's not as hard as it sounds.

One thing I do that I think really works is I walk to do all of my basic errands even when I can drive. I'll walk to the speciality grocery store, probably 2 miles than carry my stuff home. I live on the 4th floor and always take the stairs, hopefully little stuff like that adds up.
redsoxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #14  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I think I have tried just about every diet there is over the years. I'm happiest with what I'm doing now - the food is plentiful, varied and tasty.

Basically I started off with low GI but found that the weight loss slowed down so I also added in exercise. (I've since tried out lots of different types of exercise before I finally got in to a routine which suits me.)

Then after 3 months of low GI my weight loss slowed right down so I added in counting calories. I then found I felt better and low GI worked better for me if I only eat clean 'whole foods' - which is okay with me because I love cooking. I'm not 100% rigid on this but I do find when I eat non whole foods that I feel a bit under the weather.

Just recently I found my weight had plateaued so I started zigzagging my calories again which has helped.

And I have a glass of wine every evening! (Of course, its purely for the anti-oxidant medicinal purposes!)
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #15  

S/C/G: SW/253/CW231/GW175

Height: 5'8

Yeah i think i'm going to try this out and be a little free with my food...i have a WW core food list which is very similar to slimming world i'm kinda adding this into my new way of life...my newest thing is EXERCISE!!And i can definately feel the difference in my body after just excercising every other day... and i'm also feeling much stronger...hopefully thi will help me to kick the scale addiction. Some great replies..i suppose what ever works eh?
SlimmingWorldChick is offline   Reply With Quote