UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #1  
Addicted to potato salad!

Default Split Pea Soup recipe

A while back, someone here was asking about my split pea soup recipe and I never got around to it....well, here it is! Enjoy! Its very easy and great comfort food for this time of year...

Ingredients:

1 pound bag of dried peas
1 onion, minced or diced
1 good handful of baby carrots, minced or diced
1 (or 2 depending on the size of the clove) garlic clove, minced
1 small potato, cut into half-inch squares
1 slice of deli ham, sliced about a half inch thick at the deli and then diced at home to half inch cubes
6 cups of water and/or chicken broth. I use two cans of broth and two cups of water, but you can use any amount of either, 6 cups of broth, 6 cups of water or whatever your taste is...as long as it equals 6 cups of liquid.
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Okay...I like my carrots and onions to practically disappear, so I mince them in my food processor. If you like chunks, dice them. Put them in your soup pot with the minced garlic and and cut-up potato, salt and pepper and ham along with the olive oil. Sautee them for about five minutes. Add the water and/or chicken broth and the peas. Bring to a boil, then give it one good stirring before lowering the heat to a low simmer and let it cook, with a lid on, for about 45 mins or until the peas implode on themselves and turn to mush. I use a potato masher to mash things up a bit if I need to.

It's SOUP!! Enjoy!!

PS...the nice thing about soup is that you can increase or decrease ingredients to taste. For instance, if you love garlic, add more...like more onions...add more, like less, add a half onion instead of a whole one. Experiment!! That's what's fun about soup!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #2  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Sounds like a great recipe... thanks, is it low fat by chance?
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #3  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Sounds yummy - I love homemade soup and I love pea and ham soup - so I just know I'll love homemade pea and ham soup!

I wonder if its possible to reduce the oil - or miss it out altogether - without ruining the taste?
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:42 AM   #4  

I guess you could saute the stuff in one of those spray oils if you like?
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 AM   #5  
Addicted to potato salad!

As far as fat goes...the only thing I can think of that would be fatty is the ham...but you can probably get a low fat ham at the deli.

As far as the olive oil goes...I use it so the veggies don't stick to the pot...so anything non-stick would be fine.

Another tip is that as this soup gets cold, it turns sort of solid, but once you heat it up, it melts again. Strange, but it's soo good. If it gets too solid, though, go ahead and add a little water...about a half cup at a time...to loosen it.

A lot of friends I know hate peas, but love this soup. Great way to get them down the hatch in mass quantities!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:22 AM   #6  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

This is lovely! I made it without any oil (used Fry Lite) - and I put in some left over pancetta because thats what I had available.

Its VERY filling!
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote