UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Default F*** off Im fat!

Now before you all start pressing the alert button, its the name of a programme I saw last night on BBC3.
It was all about how difficult ordinary things can be for those of us who are larger, like getting in a car, aeroplane seat or buying clothes.
Did anyone watch it?
kalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:56 PM   #2  

I saw it a few weeks ago. I immediately wanted to go to Alton Towers and have a go in the ride test seat to see if I could fit into it. I don't think I would somehow.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:59 PM   #3  

I wouldnt even try, Im too chicken to go on rides
Old 09-26-2006, 01:04 AM   #4  

LOL I had to laugh at your title! As a poor peasant living up in th'ills of Lancashire we do not get anything other than peasant tv, for goodness sakes, we can't even get channel 5, and as a bolshy Aussie I refuse to throw good money after bad for satellite when the government demands that we all turn our sights to digital, they can just jolly well sort out our transmitter problems and get us all on freeview.

Sorry, I digress.

No, I didn't see it, but I wish I had. Part of me hates the fact that I am losing weight, because I don't wish to conform to what society thinks I should be. However for my future health, had to be done.

I hate that you have to go to "special shops" if you are over a size 22, that you have to ask for things like seatbelt extenders in planes, that seats are too small and you spill over on public transport.

I had hoped that the realisation that as a nation we are getting bigger might prompt companies to look at these issues, rather than it spawn a new us and them society of the fatties and the thinnies.

Sorry full of rants this morning *transmission over*
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:05 AM   #5  

No channel 5? Poor you missing 'trust me I'm a holiday rep' and all the umm interesting ads they show. (text 'babe' to...)
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:30 AM   #6  

Only good thing about Channel 5 is CSI
Old 09-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #7  
LOSE LOSE LOSE

S/C/G: 323/---/290

Height: 5"5

omg i saw that the other week too , i was kinda glad someone had finally made a programme about the issue thats we have as bigger woman/men.

I've been watching holiday rep , you got to love nancy lam she histerical hehe and brandon and roland walking around with there willys hanging out really aint a nice sight but still its somethign to watch.

Teresa
treezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:28 PM   #8  

I saw it. They are so right what they said about the sizing in shops - how you have at least 2-3 size 8,10,12,14,16, then you get to 18 and 20 and there is only 1 ever out. I have noticed that even in Marks & Sparks. All the shops say they cannot sell bigger sizes (probably cos you don't put enough out you twits!) and what sizes are left in a sale then, size 8 and size 10!!!!

Although I did notice once in Marks in a sale some burgundy trousers - about 5 size 22's!! Must have been fed up hiding thenm in a closet somewhere.....
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #9  
LOSE LOSE LOSE

S/C/G: 323/---/290

Height: 5"5

They also dont put them out unless thats all that is left which i find annoying as they cant put them out any other time , i also think that bigger woman need more than one shop EVANS , as much as i love this shop and it is my saviour i cant shop solely in evans , i have to go to simply be or another catalogue company just so i can get a different bunch of clothes to possibly buy. Tk maxx winds me up as people chuck everything everywhere and nothing labelled correctly , peacocks stuff dont fit properly or they dont have my size and matalan well they stop at a 20 in most thing and there clothes dont ever fit properly either. For me being a size 24/26 evans is the main place i can shop or the catalogue.

Come on england get some more plus size shops on the high street. (i just wish someone importnat actully read this)

Teresa
treezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #10  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

Gosh wouldn't it be great if someone understood??? It's bad enough that many of us feel bad because of the weight but its made worse by cr*p clothing. Why for example when you can pick up Levis to fit a girl with a larger than average bottom in the stated, can you not get them in UK.Evans is ok but very poorly made and extortionately expensive. It beggars belief that there isn't a designer out there that has some empathy. Maybe its a job I should undertake, a crusade for the future.... What do you think about the lack of parity for clothes shopping under a size 18 and above?

BTW you girls are great - you are doing what you can to improve the quality of your health and that should be numero uno ( hark at me preaching being the one who thinks morning noon and night about being fat!!)
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #11  
Addicted to potato salad!

They aren't allowed to say those words on American TV. Not even on the radio. Well, they can on Satellite Radio or most Cable TV (like HBO). We live right next to Canada and the other day we were in the car with the kids and, apparently, listening to Canadian Radio and all of a sudden this guy starts in with F this and F that and I'm looking for the dial (it was, literally, our first day with our new car) because my son is in the back going F this and F that and laughing his head off. And I'm like, "Only Canadians are allowed to swear!" What else was I supposed to say? It was funny once it was overwith.

I wonder when TLC will come up with an American version of this...like how the copy What Not to Wear and Changing Rooms.

I notice, though, when I'm watching Most Haunted, there is a whole lot of bleeping going on...
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #12  

LOL Techwife

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me when I was a teacher in the US Mid West... What's meaningless here was a big swear word there. One of my jobs was in a well regarded private school, where I covered a couple of days a week. Once I said the word '****' (which isn't a swear word at all in the UK, hasn't been for centuries!) and the kids nearly fell of their chairs in horror... I asked them what I'd said that was so shocking, really didn't realise the religious style things like saying 'christ' or '****' or 'damn' which are absolutely meaningless in our culture, have much more weight over there...

Also we used to watch UK shows on PBS late at night. Things like 'Red Dwarf' that go out all the time here, came with public service announcements ahead of them warning that it might be rude and objectionable and they went out really late... Here, kids watch them! We have far more really 'strong' swearwords, also - lots of colourful ones - I think Aussies have the same ones, on the whole, and most of them are sexual. US English is also full of words that have long died out here which as a linguist I find fascinating. 'Trash', for example is a word we only find in Shakespeare -or late 17thC but you still have that word over there.

I did see 'F Off I'm Fat' - he was quite funny, wasn't he? Totally wrongheaded though - unrepetent about being obese. I must admit I couldn't help thinking - esp re. the rich woman too fat to fit in a sports car - that rather than whingeing about car designers being all wrong, she should have lost some weight as she was morbidly obese and it simply can't be healthy. Also the thing with teenage girls going into clothes shops bothered me, as I have a teenage neice who is very overweight. I'd rather it was harder for her to find fashionable clothes - or she'll have no incentive to get fitter. It's not about discrimination against the overweight - it comes down to a sheer health issue, and he was dodging that.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #13  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

Just want to say I feel that it doesn't matter what size you are you should be allowed to look, and feel good. No-one who posts on this site is here because they believe its ok to be fat, we are all here with the same goal which is to improve our overall health and the way we look. I think it is narrow minded to believe that people will slim because there are no nice clothes to buy. Sorry to be on my soapbox but I feel strongly that its only ignorance that makes it ok to say that a fat woman does not have a right to nice clothes because she is fat.
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 170/166/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with Torrid. This is a big girl clothing store that sells more tendier items.

http://www.torrid.com
Hale_Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #15  
Addicted to potato salad!

I'm with you, Starbrite. You know, another beef of mine is that, although there are loads of places to by the larger sizes over here...Lane Bryant, for example...they are SO expensive!! $50 for a bra....$10 for a pair of undies? Come on! Discount women's sizes are impossible to find. And if you buy underwear at Walmart, the plastic bag you bring it home in would be better quality.

AND...what is up with the sizes in the young women's department? They are all cut so darn small. My daughter is 12 years old and I have to buy her a large or extra large in sweaters and t-shirts because they cut them so small. She is about 115 pounds and 5 feet tall. I mean, what do the girls that really are extra large wear? She wears a size 5 jeans, but an extra large sweater And some of the extra large sweaters are about the size of the doily I have on my end table under my lamp! What are they sized for? An extra large Barbie Doll?
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote