UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #76  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Woops! I know its not likely to be the sole cause, but could it possibly be TOM approaching?

Its actually very appropriate you wrote that considering what I've just been through. Everyone - Have you considered how you are going to approach 'maintaining'? Its something I've tried to do many times in the past and I've always failed (otherwise I wouldn't be posting here!!!!!!!). I've now got to a stage when I don't think overweight or formerly overweight people have 'normal' metabolisms in the accepted sense and we have to approach our post-diet life differently. The problem is.... how?

This time I started off at my highest ever weight and its been more of a struggle to get rid of it than it has been in the past - but, if I persevere, actually losing the weight has a forseeable end to it whereas maintenance will go on for the rest of my life.

In the past I've tried a) mentally keeping a rough track of my calories on weekdays and 'eating normally' at the weekends or b) attempting to slowly increase my daily calorie allowance until I'm maintaining rather than losing. Neither of these have worked for me so I'd be really interested in how other people are intending to cope with maintenance.

Sorry to be depressing but I've just had coffee with an acquaintance who I haven't seen for ages. The last time I saw her was about a year ago just after she won her slimming club's slimmer of the year prize (she lost half her body weight) and since then she has put back on ALL the weight she lost plus some more. She was so upset because she doesn't really know why. Its made me feel very panicky.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #77  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, well I could say I did that because I was trying to "maintain" but there's something about being with my parents that makes me want to eat and eat and eat. I think it's something about being put on a diet, but now I've lost it my way and I'm in defiance of my mother's "diets". So I like to be, "Look how much I can eat right now - and I'm slim" Of course, you see why that's flawed...

So I think I took a little leave of absence last week, and I think my mind got a little screwed up, oh that and bloomin wedding dresses! That always makes me want to eat!

Maintenance wise - I think I'll always be fitdaying stuff. However, I have noticed that once I've got a stock of "meals" like turkey pitta with salad, baked potato with cottage cheese, porridge with egg, cc pancakes, haddock and baked potato wedges, once I have those, and I know that's what a "meal" is. I can usually pack my meals for the day and be fairly on plan.

I sometimes like to try and wing it when we go out for the day, like on Saturday I chose a lovely healthy sandwich, turkey and cranberry over baked ham and brie... However I think my willpower disapeared after the waffles and brownie pudding we had!

So yes, maintenance is a little scary, but check out the maintainers threads and you'll be fine. Check them out now, it'll give you more of an idea what to expect. As for last week's "maintenance" I think I was just plain stupid and wasn't even thinking about being good or maintaining or anything, I was overtaken with the compulsive eating bug. I know I did because I had breakfast and was then eating crackers... Then pic and mix and muffins and all flamin sorts! It'll be ok in the end! I'll let you know how the rest of maintenance month goes!

Oh another thing. You know, maintenance isn't necessarily staying at exactly 11 stone 7lbs... It's staying between 11 stone 5 and 11 stone 10... It's a range, not an exact weight. So I guess even if I did go over my line in the sand, I won't be going any higher!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #78  

This is why I have regular maintenance breaks every two months. Yes it may have slowed my weight loss down, but it has given me confidence. I have a better idea now of what weight maintenance will take, which is remarkably like losing.

I'm really tired, and my throat is so sore. Not sure if I will last the day
Old 05-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #79  
aka Superwoman!

Poor kykaree!

Yes maintenance breaks are a good thing However, stuffing your face like a is not!

Old 05-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #80  
Consistency + Balance

I'm having a maintenance break the week I finish BfL - and then I'll start another 12 week challenge after that. I'm wondering if thats the best way for me to maintain - to carry on doing BfL but with proper rest days and rest weeks. I think I need (and enjoy) the discipline of working out and eating to a plan and BfL isn't just for people who want to lose weight.

Most people around here seem to be coming down with some kind of heavy cold/flu (sore throat, swollen glands, aches and pains all over). The girl I had coffee with said she felt ill - I wish she'd mentioned it before she invited me round for coffee.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #81  

Maintenance is hard my sister has been trying to get back within 4 pounds of her fat club target since New Year. I say she should just up it to 10 stone
Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

Hello everyone

Thanks for your kind words about my father. He is home yayyyyyy. Has to go back Thursday for a Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy, They gowned him up to do the procedure today and got to theatre where they promptly cancelled no reason given!!! He was not a happy man.

I popped round after work my mother had a smile like a cheshire cat but had some old top on which she had split coffee down. I said jesus mother I can see you dressed up for my father's return. She thought this was very funny. Sometimes I know I am not the best daughter to my mother. It isn't her fault she so unwell. I sometimes lose sight of this.

My period is here so I am in a great mood and didn't even look at the goodies
we have at work. God I am so ruled by my hormones.

Now my father is home I can get back to exercising.

I just feel so happy this evening.

Enjoy the rest of your evening everyone

Michele
Old 05-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #83  

good for your dad.

I've had really yummy healthy food today but I did share some maltesers oops
Old 05-09-2006, 03:52 AM   #84  
aka Superwoman!

Hello all!

Michelle - glad your dad's ok now

I'm back with my kickboxing buddies! I was doing some kicks and things with the teenies! I enjoyed myself! I also managed to get into box splits from sitting on the floor with my legs apart kinda infront of me - then I asked the other instructor to push my leg back as I was leaning over to the side et voila - box splits! Tonight I will see if I can do them the conventional way! I was almost there yesterday and I hadn't even warmed up!

Oh bless DF's little heart. I got home in two minds about having dinner and when I got in, he's making a veggie tart thingy for our tea! Aaaaaaaaaw! This is the man who "can't" cook! However it did turn out a bit odd - he hadn't par-boiled the potatoes, so they were still a bit raw and the courgettes were still a bit raw, oh and he hadn't baked the pastry blind, so it was a bit soggy in the bottom, but it was still ok, and I ate it to show willing! Good job I'd had a low calorie day beforehand otherwise I would've been peeved!

Scales down a whole pound this morning! Proper kickboxing tonight! and perhaps the gym at lunch or a run before kickboxing or both or something!
Old 05-09-2006, 03:56 AM   #85  

I'm at home, my throat is too sore to make 120 phone calls to grumpy hospitals and consultants today, so I am not going Not doing gym either, as the symptoms are sliding further down my neck to my chest. Not happy. I might go and get some zinc tablets though. I can't stay in all day or I shall go mad!!!

I won three things on E-Bay last night. I can't believe it!!! I really wanted a pair of Fat Face blue embroidered trousers, and kept getting out bid. I did a bid at the last minute, and whammo, they're mine!!! And a skirt, and another pair of trousers! Yay!!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 04:00 AM   #86  
aka Superwoman!

Hooray for ebay! Take care of yourself. I like ginger tea when I'm feeling miserable - it clears out your sinuses too!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:43 AM   #87  

Hello all, I've been out!! Went and signed on at my doctors, I've not moved practices since moving house um 3 years ago!!! Naughty me. And I went and got my skirt which I ordered off ebay. It was advertised as a size 18, but it's only a size 16, and very fitted suede. I was really disappointed. So I came home, sucked my tummy in, and it fits, perfectly! Now why the size 18 pants frus sent me still don't fit properly I don't know!!! Clothing sizes make me
Old 05-09-2006, 07:44 AM   #88  
Consistency + Balance

Kyk - I've been buying stuff on eBay as well. About last minute bids.... you could slam in a proxy bid through Auctionstealer dot com - works for me, every time. Poor Kyk, I hope you feel better - there's nothing worse that being ill in beautiful weather.

Frus - well done on the 1lb. Sounds like you've got a good 'un there! What else was in the tart apart from pastry, potatoes and courgette?

I've come out all covered in a rash this morning. I have no idea what it is but the only place I haven't got it (yet) is on my face. Its not itching or burning or sore - its just sitting there spreading quickly looking bright pink and puffy. I think it started last night cos DH said he thought it looked like I was getting excema (sp?) on the inside of my elbow but it didn't itch, so I didn't worry. Probably yet another allergy but I can't think of anything I've eaten/used which I haven't eaten/used before.

We'd planned going to the gym this afternoon but I'm not going looking like this.

Oh well - I've got a doctor's appointment on Thursday for this thyroid thing so if its still around I'll get him to have a look at it.

What does measles look like?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:03 AM   #89  
aka Superwoman!

Poor Sarah! What a sickly lot you guys are today!

What else was in the tart... Umm Mushrooms! That was it! I would've put some cottage cheese in just to mush it up, but the liquidized potatoes and courgettes worked quite well!

I'm trying to resisit the other half of a piece of birthday cake! It's a vicky sponge and it's got Nutella in the middle. I'm in two minds about sneaking it into the bin, it's a bit rich after I've got halfway through it! I might leave it till later

Just been doon the gym - I'm all worked out now! I had the free-weights to myself today! Much better when I am monopolising the area rather than the big sweaty guys (who were just watching today )
Old 05-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #90  
Consistency + Balance

Its started stinging now

I'm trying to distract myself by buying stuff on eBay. DH isn't gonna like this.....
Closed Thread