UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #1  
Heather/Caterpillar

Default Miss Selfridge size 18

Hi
Miss Selfridge announced in a blaze of glory their new size 18 stuff...well...went to give it a go today. I'm a 22 so I knew there would be not a hope in **** of getting in them so took along my little sis who is a size 18 at dotty ps. Well...tops...not bad...jeans wouldn't even come past here knees. Just wish I had had a tape measure to check if they were even close to what they should be!
Heather x
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:30 AM   #2  

I went in to check them out too, but none of the things I like went to an 18. And their sixteens looked tiny so I didn't hold out much hope about their 18's.

Shops annoy me!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:20 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

dotty p's sizes are mad - I remember a few years back being an 18 in DP, then the next time I went in I had to buy a 20 since they had "introduced" size 22. Yeah, or perhaps just shuffled the labels round more like!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:57 AM   #4  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Tell me about it.... one of the products I used to sell on eBay was plus size women's clothes. My biggest problem was that the buyers wouldn't use a tape measure to check the measurements I gave - they would just look at the label size and buy it if they thought it SHOULD fit - then they blamed me because it didn't fit and wanted a refund or exchange at my expense. (You can see why I grew to really HATE selling clothes on eBay!)

I used to high street brands only and there is up to 4 inches difference in the bust measurements between the different manufacturers. Evans is usually the most generous and New Look is the least. DP wasn't too bad but they are the same group as Evans.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:27 AM   #5  

Even within the store the sizes are silly. Frus sent me some size 18 DP trousers which (almost) fit now, but I have bought DP jeans and they're fine in an 18!! Silly!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #6  
Heather/Caterpillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Ann
... DP wasn't too bad but they are the same group as Evans.
I believe Miss Selfridge are in the same group too now...the arcadia group isn't it?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:19 AM   #7  
Bling it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heva2015
I believe Miss Selfridge are in the same group too now...the arcadia group isn't it?
Yeah, they are in the arcadia group.
I wouldn't even dare to try an 18 on at this moment as I know it will not fit regardless of shop!
I am a 22 top and I got a shirt from next lastweek, size 22, and it is skin tight! Back to the shop it goes!

Hey heva, hows it going with you chick?, how are you doing on CD? It's my 8the day today and I am pretty fed up of drinking water al the time!
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #8  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I'm just back from buying some jeans. I tried on some in Next - their size 18 are very, very small, Evans size 18 were baggy round the - I ended up with a pair of cheap Asda jeans which fitted beautifully. Weird though, since I've lost weight my legs seem to have gotten longer.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 214/210/139

Clothes shopping is my absolute pet hate - BUT - I have just bought two pairs of stretchy jeans that don't actually look like stretchy jeans from M&S and they didn't cost a packet either.

Another thing, they actually come up to my waist - I'm sick of having that gap at the back where I should have a very pretty tattoo if I was the size I really wanted to be!
Janie Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #10  
Heather/Caterpillar

I love ASDA and Tesco clothes! Cheap and some are really nice!
Old 04-14-2006, 04:22 AM   #11  

Where would we be without George at ASDA? I tend to cheat even further and pick up George at charity shops. I love my charity shops.

I find Next very tricky. I seem to be an odd shape or their clothes aren't scaled correctly. I am sure they use a size 10 template as they go up and don't make any adjustments. That's why Evans and Dot Perkins size 18's are different. Evans rescale at 16 20 and 24, so you find things different over the hips, bum and tum as you go down (or up) Dotty just uses the same template as they go up, so there's no allowance for the fact that hips on a size 18 are going to be a different proportion to waist than they would on a size 10.

That's also why designer clothes tend to be more generous as you go up, they tend to rescale again at each size.

I have never forgiven Phillip Green and the Arcadia group for taking over Etam and shutting them down. They just got their plus size range absolutely right, and then he comes in and shuts em down.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #12  

The Amelie May range was ace- it did go the BHS but I couldn't find it last time I went in there. Am not buying clothes at the mo, need to lose a few more pounds.
sarahgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #13  

I have never seen it in BHS, I know he took the Tammy range there, but never saw the AMelie May, whether they just took the remaining stock there to flog it and then not replenish it, I don't know. When I was at my fattest I found BHS the most unfatfriendly store ever.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #14  

I don't really like the clothes in BHS anyway. Have got a suit from there size 18. you never know i might even fit back in it soon!!
sarahgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #15  

DPs sizes come up massive on me I'm a size smaller there than I am anywhere else. Miss S are very very small. My friend is a size 6 and she takes a 10 in there in jeans.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote