UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #1  

Default Bread

If any of you are anything like me one of my biggest weaknesses is bread. I love the stuff but the problem is once you buy a loaf you have to eat it all so it doesn't go stale (I'm on about ciabatta, baguettes and the like).
Anyway I was chatting to my friend about it the other week (shes a major source of dieting tips, is a proper diet person, gym bunny etc) anyway she told me about this stuff you can get which is the flour for the bread and you just add water, it says water and oil but I add water and a tiny spray of low cal fat spray and it tastes just as good.
Its amazing. If i want a nice roll with my lunch i can just make myself what I need. It takes 2 seconds to make a dough which is also fun and then you just leave it to rise while you make a cup of tea and then its just in the oven for 15 mins. Since I've had it I've halved my bread intake and I'm enjoying it more. They do ciabatta, tomato bread, wholemeal and white mixes so I'm trying them all.

Has anyone else tried this. it only costs about 60p for a bag of the flour so its a big money saver too.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #2  

That's a good idea, I have used the mixes to make whole loaves, but never tried making smaller portions. I might even do that tomorrow, I have a packet of the ciabatta kicking about in the kitchen!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:52 AM   #3  

I just make myself a roll at a time now.

It was a bit trial and error at first to get the mix right because I don't have scales (student house) but I found 4 desert spoons of the flour to two of the water makes it really good.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #4  

My sister is bread obsessed she buys loads of it and leaves it around. I only really eat pitta now umm except for that sandwich from Greggs at dinner... I watched a Paul McKenna last night so the 'eat what you want' was still fresh in my mind.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #5  

thats what i'm like normally I'd easily eat a whole loaf if I could
Old 01-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #6  
Pending Email Confirmation

Big bread fan here.... naughty me! but I have cut down my intake to just three subways a week now!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:06 PM   #7  
Gym'll fix it!!

There's nowt up wi' bread I can eat a whole loaf of french its the butter that you up Look at that Jerrod he lost a ton of weight living off subs
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #8  

Height: 5'6" (167cm)

I love bread, its my big weakness. I've tried cutting it out which has proved impossible. At the moment I'm eating Warburtons Blackpool Milk Roll which is about 46 cals a slice. I find toast takes me longer to eat so I keep it in the freezer and have the odd slice toasted when I feel the need.
dawnie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:27 PM   #9  

Join my make your own bread thing it works because you just can't eat it as quick when you have to pop it in for 20 mins for baking lol.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #10  

I have 5 kids so we buy bread in bulk! Getting through entire loaves is never going to be a problem! Although I won't have white bread in the house, or *brown* (as it's dyed), only wholemeal. I used to let the kids have one white loaf just for toast but then I decided if I wasn't going to eat it, why make them eat something unhealthy so now it's not allowed in the house. The only white bread I have (and it's rarely) is Tescos low fat mini Naans, when I do a curry.

If I've time I even make it (Dove's Farm Spelt flour is good), so then I can factor out the salt, too. I eat some bread every day - so long as it's wholemeal and the lowest fat/salt I can find, I don't see a problem. I try to eat mainly organic so a lot of bread and bread making kits are out because they're full of chemical 'improvers' and preservatives.

If I wasn't feeding the 5000, I'd just chop it up and freeze in separate bags, then get it out as I needed it.

The only white bread I miss are bagels.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:11 AM   #11  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

I LOVE greggs tuna bagettes!!!
omg I get them as treats and omg thelovelyness!!!!
how do u even make bread?! any bread Ive made in the past never comes out good, my mum has a bread maker but it tastes really sweet
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:22 AM   #12  

I don't bother with a breadmaker although my dad swears by his! I just make it by hand. You have to follow the instructions on whatever yeast you're using as that's the big variant. It's very therapeutic as you get to thump it. And then leave it on a sunny windowsill (or anywhere out of a draught) to rise with a tea-towel over it. When it's about doubled, you knead it again, then leave it to prove again. Then cook it. It's cheapest just to buy the flour and yeast rather than kits - also cuts out the additives. I have PCOS which means I have to eat as much organic as I can and cut out things with chemicals/preservatives in. I usually use olive oil as my 'fat of choice'. I use whatever Dove's Farm flour I feel like using at the time - Spelt flour is good, but any *strong* (bread) flour will work best.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #13  

You need to be careful with those Greggs baguettes. I work in Greggs and ALOT of calories goes into them. For every one bag of tuna in the mix there is 12 scoops (similar scoops to ice cream ones but twice the size) of mayonaise, and its full fat. Plus the put mayo on the baguette before they put the cucumber, tuna etc in. Its pretty high in calories. I have to stop myself buying them all the time, they are so yummy....ooh and the iced split tee hee hee!
Poiple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:46 AM   #14  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

omg!
I do hardly get them, but like one every 2 months, so hmm.. the yummyness tho, I want want one now!
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:08 AM   #15  

Thats the reason why I quit mayo its on so many sandwiches and its really deceptive about how much is in there.