UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 04:05 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Questions re: fast food/restaurants in UK

Hi everyone!

I'm going to be traveling to London and wanted to get some recommendations on foods/restaurants that are point friendly to have while I'm there. I'm a 5-year Lifetimer and would appreciate any tips/info you can pass along

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:51 PM   #2  
Must Stay Motivated

I don't live in London and so am not really sure on the best places but just did a quick search and found this:

http://www.luscious.co.uk/frameset.html

looks great. It is a low fat cafe chain based in London. Let me know what the food is like if you go there - lol. Will be bookmarking that link for my next visit to London.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:51 AM   #3  

I guess you are on the weight watchers plan? Unfortunately for you I am not so I will not be much help. Perhaps a fellow WW-er can answer that. Most of the clubs have a section from time to time in their magazines about eating out. It seems easier to stick to chains or more recognised foods I guess. I know you probably won't be able to get info frm their UK magazine but I can only suggest that whereever you go avoid creamy sauces, if going for an Indian go for a "dry" curry such as chicken Tikka or tandoori rather than Korma. Ig having a pasta meal avoid the creamier sauces and go for a tomato based one. I know everyone says to fill up on salad but I always think it is a bit sad to have a salad when you are out so try to have loads of veg but checked how they cook them. In oriental restaurants avoid deep fried anything and fill up on stir fried veg.

Can't really help with actual restaurants but these all list ones in London. However I have no idea how diet friendly they are.

http://eatdrink.timeout.com/
http://www.london-eating.co.uk/
http://www.zagat.com/browse/index.asp?newLID=39
Old 02-19-2004, 02:57 AM   #4  

Dear Mellissa

For when you want take away stuff - say sandwiches etc I would go for either Marks and Spencer count on us range (various including chocolate mousse, yoghurt etc and they do some slimming sandwiches too and wraps and also Boots the chemist (one in most high streets) they do a shapers range of sandwiches, drinks , wraps and yoghurts. In case you don't know Marks & Spencer is one of the most popular shops in UK (most high streets have a branch). The bigger ones do food, cosmetics, clothes and sometimes homeware. Boots does cosmetics mainly but bigger branches have electrical applicances and such like. Some stock baby clothes too.

MOst high street supermarkets do a slimming range of foods (Sainsburys, Tesco, Safeway etc) and of course the milions of sandwich/soup joints around - Pret a manger et al.

Where are you staying and what particular restaurants would you be interested in trying?
Old 02-19-2004, 03:03 AM   #5  

Another one I found.

http://www.restaurantdatabase.co.uk/

I have just realised you mentioned fast food - I am certainly no expert on that. I tend to avoid them as I do not eat meat. However I am sure someone else will know the points of a big whoppa or whatever it is they serve in those places!
Old 02-19-2004, 03:20 PM   #6  

I'm not a big fast food fan so I doubt I'll be going into one of them while in London. I'm mainly looking for ideas on "point friendly" places/foods. I'll be staying in Bayswater area. Thanks for all your help
Old 02-20-2004, 02:02 AM   #7  

Well I know there is a Poons in the Whiteleys shopping centre in Bayswater. Also There is the Standard in Westbourne Grove which often gets a mention too -if this is the one I am thinking of this is an Indian restaurant. Whiteleys shopping centre is supposed to be nice too. I keep meaning to go there. I might this weekend.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:06 AM   #8  

Thanks for the info, Peacock, and everyone else who posted I'm anxious to see the sites and to have a little down time.
Closed Thread