UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-05-2003, 02:24 PM   #1  

Question Stretch Marks

I am wondering if anyone here has tried any of the products which are said to reduce or eliminate the appearance of stretch marks? If so, were they effective and were the results permanent or temporary?
USLadyInWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:10 AM   #2  
Theres no stopping me now

Tried vitamin creams when I was pregant to stop me getting them, didn't work
Smiling Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #3  

Hi Sal. I don't know about the creams to prevent stretch marks because when mine formed I was too young and didn't know any better. But they have several expensive (and supposedly effective) products on the market in the US (and probably in the UK also?) that are supposed to reduce or eliminate the appearance of stretch marks. Two are called Strivectin and Mederma. Have you heard of these? Of course there is also laser surgery, but I don't know anyone personally who has gotten this either.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:00 AM   #4  
on my way down!

I use a cocoa butter formula...its quite a thick lotion and it smells veeeery sweet but it seem to work well although they are not gone completly at all im still living in hope!!
Toryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:07 AM   #5  

Hello! Have you tried Bio-oil? I haven't as yet, but my mum said it made hers a lot better and she's had them for about 35 years! Hope this is helpful
Anj
anj911_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #6  

Thanks for the replies. I have not tried either of those things. I had always heard that the cocoa butter did not help much which is why I didn't attempt it. I am glad to hear it works for you though. Maybe I will try that sometime. Not sure what the bio-oil is. How espensive is that and are the results suppose to be permanent? They say that these new products that I mentioned are the most effective non-surgical treatments, but of course they are expensive and I think that once you stop using them, the marks show again (but I am not sure about that).
Old 09-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #7  

I heard that using pile cream works wonders on strechmarks, though I am yet to try it myself. Two of my friends swear by it.
missy_moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 03:50 AM   #8  

For best results with cocoal butter it is better to buy a pot of the thick greasy cream I think rather than a lotion and go for pure cocoal butter not a body lotion containing it. Try Palmer's whcih is a white plastic tub with a brownish label. It works when I can be bothered to apply it. I am just so lazy. I use it for "sandpaper skin". I haven't used it for a while. Of course, like all those wonder lotions that promise to get rid of wrinkles they don't work if you don't use 'em. I have to remind myself of this!
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 06:24 AM   #9  

Will hunt around Stirling at lunchtime, was appalled at the state of mine this morning
Old 09-12-2003, 09:05 AM   #10  

Got some of the Plamers cocoa butter stuff, am desperate to go home and try it now.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:51 AM   #11  

Have been pampering myself since Friday night, put on the stretch mark cream and then followed that with some all over body lotion, a rare treat for my skin.

Then last night spoiled my feet with a foot spa and a massage

Am being far too good to myself
Old 09-16-2003, 12:24 AM   #12  
it's always something

I'm sure you deserved it

I think we spend a lot of time thinking about what goes on the inside and ignore what's on the outside!

We should all spend a day just pampering ourselves.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 02:36 AM   #13  

I definately think Palmer's Cocoa |Butter is the best. And, even if it doesn't get rig of existing stretch marks, it will keep the skin supple so stop new ones appearing. You do have to use it regularly (said she who hasn't used it in a while)...
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:58 PM   #14  
Must Stay Motivated

I have terrible stretch marks (put on 5stone when pregnant with my first child - went from very skinny to not so skinny - lol) I might try some of that cocoa butter. I have a stretch mark cream from Avon but it is hardly used - lol - Just love the sound of the cocoa butter. I am a nightmare for not moiturising my skin.

I bought a dry oil aerosol spray for after swimming so that I could just spray it an d leave it - lol.
Superwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 03:55 PM   #15  

leave them my kids call them my batle scars or my fairy motorway then again now they are older thy just call them embarrassing
linus is offline   Reply With Quote