UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #76  

I do this every other month for a week and I dont weigh myself but I do feel lighter. I was only doing it when I had "I really need to lose weight days" lol didnt even know it was a proper thing so will try and stick to it this time. Encouraging to hear that it works well for so many people. Will start fast day on Sunday and will try and keep you posted on progress.
Enilorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 224/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Alternate Day Diet

Hi Everyone

Have just (today) started the alternate day diet and am hoping that it works! It sounds good, like the fact that it's only 1 day of dieting really hard and another when I can eat more!

I have a lot to lose so I reckon I'm going to be on this diet for some time!

So - two weeks of Slimfasts anxd we'll see what the weight loss is after that!
Annelouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 198/172/140

Height: 5' 4"

Hi Annelouise - welcome to the boards! I'll be interested in seeing how you get on - I'm calorie counting via My Fitness Pal and it's certainly working for the moment, but I did consider this approach before deciding calorie counting was maybe easier to do when cooking for the family (plus we all then benefit from low cal dinners!). Keep us informed of how you do!
Cofa Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 224/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Alternate day diet

Hi Cofa Tree

Thanks for the welcome! I am really determined this time to keep on with this - when the pounds fall off it'll b e well worth it!

It's certainly an eye opener, this diet, something I have never thought about.
Annelouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #80  

I'm on week 2 of this diet. I did it about 3 years ago with quite good results so feel pretty optimistic. I am doing 3 down days a week, sticking to 500 calories and being sensible on the other days. I have just started my first 24 hour fast, (7pm today to 7pm tomorrow) I guess, as with the down days, the first one or two will be the toughest!
Tuscanyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 205/162/150

Height: 5'7"

I have been trying the alternate day diet since the beginning of January. I am surprised at how well it is working for me. I alternate days and usually stay below 500 on down days, but not always. My goal is to average out under 1000 for the week and so far I have done that and have lost 4 lbs. Of course, this was the holiday weight gain. I have 10 more pounds to go and up day down day has helped get me going in 2013. Glad to see some others on board. This seems to be mostly a UK group. You can see by my name where I am from.
TexArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 205/162/150

Height: 5'7"

Default alternate day diet

I do realize this is a UK thread, but I would like to connect with some folks who are using this up day/down day method with success.

If you are doing the alternate day diet, how long have you been at it? Is it working for you long term?

I weighed in this morning and showed a good drop. I use the Hackers Diet spreadsheet to record my weight daily so I can see the trend line which allows for all those variations in daily weight due to various factors.
TexArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 12 stone

Height: 5ft 3ins

Unhappy Just joined

Have just joined today, and I have been on the alternate day diet for three weeks and so far have lost only four pounds. I have been pretty assiduous in not eating more than 500 calories on down days but confess to eating anything I like on Up days, which includes fatty food and sweet things. Do I have to cut down more on Up days as well? I am an older lady so maybe it is harder to lose the weight which I really want to do for health reasons. I do walk at least three times a week for 20 to 30 minutes outdoors. and do Yoga regularly, once a week. This keeps me supple for my age.
roman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 12 stone

Height: 5ft 3ins

New Member, just joined today and am following the Alternate Day diet. Have done three weeks but am really disappointed to have only lost four pounds in that time. Am sticking religiously to only 500 calories on my Down days, but have eaten heartily on my Up days. I feel I should have lost more as I lost those four pounds in the first week and nothing since. Have I got to eat much less on my Up days as well?
roman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #85  

I'm curious, how do you find energy to cope with down days? I'm a busy mother with 2 toddlers and I don't think I could cope on 500 cals!
Crunchy Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #86  

Also, guys can you actually binge on your up days?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #87  
i CAN do this!!!!!!!!!!!!

S/C/G: 230/226/140

Height: 5 4

Crunchy pip. I don't think you're really allowed to Binge on the "feast" days but you can eat whatever you like . I think that over a week your calorie intake is supposed to balance out? I'm giving it a go from Monday.
lolloveschocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #88  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolloveschocolate View Post
Crunchy pip. I don't think you're really allowed to Binge on the "feast" days but you can eat whatever you like . I think that over a week your calorie intake is supposed to balance out? I'm giving it a go from Monday.
I thought it was more than just about calorie deficit? Activating the 'skinny gene' and all that.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #89  
i CAN do this!!!!!!!!!!!!

S/C/G: 230/226/140

Height: 5 4

not too sure really. There are so many different versions of this diet. I've downloaded a book and will be reading it tonight and tomorrow
lolloveschocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #90  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolloveschocolate View Post
not too sure really. There are so many different versions of this diet. I've downloaded a book and will be reading it tonight and tomorrow
Nice one.

Which book?